Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this listed as 1-4 players, but don't see any specific mention of how to play solo in the rules, and only some vague mentions here on the forums about playing it with/without colonies, or maybe with a dummy player for taxes, etc. Regardless of suggestions for house rules/solo variants, are there actual official solo rules somewhere? Or do you just play everything as normal, albeit with only one player (duh)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shave
United Kingdom
Newcastle-Under-Lyme
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Someone may correct me, but I think before scenarios are published you play 1p exactly as normal but with only 1 player! Pretty sure I read that. I play with colonies because it ups the variability. Still a nice game to play, better with 2+ but still excellent with 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it. Currently, you play as normal. Obviously, some things won't affect you in solo play: there's no fee, no use for some special ambassadors etc. (actually, that may be it already unless I'm forgetting something)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "play without colonies" was a challenge issued by Tim, if I recall correctly, but not a standardized method of play. I've never, and will never, play without them. To me, they make the game 1,000 times more interesting. Sort of like "buy your own player powers" but with many to choose from. They are colonies, and it is called "The Colonists".

As for solo play, just play it the same way but without other players. It's almost exactly the same except without fees (and even fees can be utterly negated in many ways). The few things affected by solo-only play are interactions with a couple of colonies, requiring you to have another player's steward in the same location as a special steward-like piece. If that really bothers you, take those colonies out before setup. Though they can still be useful, even without that ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. Thanks! My copy is on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there a win/loss condition, or is it Beat Your Own Score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Is there a win/loss condition, or is it Beat Your Own Score?

High score. There may be scenarios forthcoming that add a goal to achieve but for now it's high score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems rather pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tomcavage
United States
Malvern
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
The "play without colonies" was a challenge issued by Tim, if I recall correctly, but not a standardized method of play. I've never, and will never, play without them. To me, they make the game 1,000 times more interesting. Sort of like "buy your own player powers" but with many to choose from. They are colonies, and it is called "The Colonists".

As for solo play, just play it the same way but without other players. It's almost exactly the same except without fees (and even fees can be utterly negated in many ways). The few things affected by solo-only play are interactions with a couple of colonies, requiring you to have another player's steward in the same location as a special steward-like piece. If that really bothers you, take those colonies out before setup. Though they can still be useful, even without that ability.

Interesting. Maybe I've been playing it wrong, but as a solo game, I pay the fee to the bank when I go to a spot that has another one of my stewards on it. I also house-rule the special stewards: when the colony card says the special steward has to land on a spot with another player's steward, I play it as it has to land on a spot that one of my stewards is on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agrajag4242 wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Interesting. Maybe I've been playing it wrong, but as a solo game, I pay the fee to the bank when I go to a spot that has another one of my stewards on it. I also house-rule the special stewards: when the colony card says the special steward has to land on a spot with another player's steward, I play it as it has to land on a spot that one of my stewards is on.

I'm pretty sure you never can have two pawns from the same player on one hex. Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.