Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If we play in teams of two (couples on a group date), would this work?

I've read others commenting that when you play with more than four players some players will be sitting around with nothing to do. But I'm wondering if each task is assigned to a team consisting of two people who happen to be married to eachother, would they be able to work out the solutions together? Or would it still feel like one person is doing the work while the other just watches?

I guess it would help me to answer this question if I knew a little more about the nature of the tasks? I mean, some kinds of puzzles work well with two people working together- crosswords and riddles come to mind. But others wouldn't work so well- solving a maze, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory it could work, the pieces tend to be smaller than you'd like them to be, I found.

I suggest printing off the pieces from their website so more than one person can be looking at it/solving some of the pieces at the same time. (Don't worry about spoilers, you won't be able to see anything that will give you any hints, etc)

I think if you don't have super Type A's it should be fine.

Our group had people who literally whined if they weren't actively involved in the puzzle solving at all times but don't let that stop you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could sort of assign roles too.

Bob and Sarah are in charge of the keys. (You'll see)

Karen and Susan are in charge of the decoder.

And Me and Dave make sure we get everything out of the envelopes (don't assume, double check!) and will be in charge of the HINTS, should we need them.

I would have everyone take turns reading different parts of the flavor text, as that will make everyone feel involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no easy way to do "teams" with this game because it's really designed to be done together. As pointed out, you can assign some of the administrative tasks (like managing the hints and doing the keys) but that's like 10% of the game. If that's all they are doing they will be sitting there doing nothing for most of the hour.

I would say the majority of the puzzle solving is trying to figure out how all the items/information you are given work together and that basically means one big group solve. Some puzzles are simple but require one or two people to sit there and work out the answer which eats up time. That is not usually the case though.

I would say this is designed for 2-4 people. 5 maybe. 6 almost surely means you're going to have people sitting around a lot because it's hard to get that mean actively involved simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean that's all they would be doing. Just helps to offset alpha gaming if each team has their own role in addition to helping solve the puzzles/clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigft64 wrote:
There's no easy way to do "teams" with this game because it's really designed to be done together. As pointed out, you can assign some of the administrative tasks (like managing the hints and doing the keys) but that's like 10% of the game. If that's all they are doing they will be sitting there doing nothing for most of the hour.

I would say the majority of the puzzle solving is trying to figure out how all the items/information you are given work together and that basically means one big group solve. Some puzzles are simple but require one or two people to sit there and work out the answer which eats up time. That is not usually the case though.

I would say this is designed for 2-4 people. 5 maybe. 6 almost surely means you're going to have people sitting around a lot because it's hard to get that mean actively involved simultaneously.

This is the correct answer. Trying to mod the game to fit a group of 6 adults, in teams, is going to produce a rather poor experience. The game is not set up for multiple work streams, there is not enough material in the puzzles to accommodate six adults, and there is single decoder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses. There's a liquidation store near where I live that has a copy of this game for ~$20. I'm trying to decide if I should get it or not. My wife and I were trying to come up with date ideas the other night and we happened to be shopping at that store the same night. We saw the game and thought it might make for a good date night with some other couples. I'm still trying to decide if I should go back and buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. There's a liquidation store near where I live that has a copy of this game for ~$20. I'm trying to decide if I should get it or not. My wife and I were trying to come up with date ideas the other night and we happened to be shopping at that store the same night. We saw the game and thought it might make for a good date night with some other couples. I'm still trying to decide if I should go back and buy it.

I think you should - thats good price! They will be adding expansions, etc. so you could get a lot of future gaming out of it.

I still think if you don't have heavy gamers you will enjoy it as a group activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is absolutely worth $20. I think it's one of the sleeper hits of 2016. As Susan pointed out too, there's already 2 more "rooms" coming in an expansion which I imagine will be reasonably priced since you don't have to rebuy the decoder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend playing two copies and comparing times between teams in each copy if you want to involve more people. Why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SeanH wrote:
Why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price?

Well shoot- can't argue with that logic.

Edit: That does sound like a fun idea though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.