Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

Playing conservatively, the highest I've fought everything was Lv.2 at most, and only The Hand at Lv.3.
I look at my shelf and see the monsters and just say "Man, how I wish to fight these at Lv.3+ without gambling my settlement's progress for such little reward."
And for those times when I just don't feel like playing a whole session and just wanna do a "Boss Rush", if you will.

So, I was just wondering if any of you have a system/method in place to quickly create survivors in terms of stats, Fighting Arts, and Disorders, and maybe Courage & Understanding allocation to just go for a One-Shot Showdown against Lv.3 Quarries/Nemesis?

Something along the lines of:
Stat points = (2 * Monster Lv.) + 1
Fighting Arts = 1 random per Monster Lv.
Disorders = .5 random per Monster Lv. (rounded down)
Courage & Understanding = 1 each + shared pool of 8 points.
Gear = 1 Armor Set per survivor + a weapon of choice (2 if paired/Ambidextrous) + other misc. you might want to bring.

I'm looking for something that would give me a 40:60 to 50:50 odds of winning.
If you have any suggestions, please post them below.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely remove the gamble and decide before a showdown that this one won't count either way, and make some notation system/just duplicate character sheets, so you don't need to worry about returning to their prior state?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sintec
msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Completely remove the gamble and decide before a showdown that this one won't count either way, and make some notation system/just duplicate character sheets, so you don't need to worry about returning to their prior state?

Or take photo's of the char sheets at the start, then it's trivial to return them to their original state at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Thought of this one before.
This is definitely the easiest way to do this, though the odds of winning depends on how your actual settlement is doing xD
It'll be a fun to gauge how your settlement will do against Lv.3 without the gamble though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you do this with the gorm, I think you should make sure to institute the prelim event chart before the showdown. The way the gorm punishes you en route is integral to how the monster ends up feeling in the showdown.

Otherwise, yeah, I support 'snap shots'. Seems like the easiest way to create relatively realistic scenarios for your Main Events.

I've got a fair number of level 3 monsters on my trophy wall, but let me tell you, they never quite get boring and some are far, far worse than others (DBK, Phoenix, blasted INVINCIBLE BUTCHER). Keep us posted on your match ups!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4rch1t3ct wrote:
blasted INVINCIBLE BUTCHER
Ugh. I feel your pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've thought about the idea of a range of different one-shots as well, it would be pretty fun. I don't think it will be particularly easy to make a set of 'rules' for it, particularly against level 3's. It might require a bit of trial error and some session reports from people who have tried level 3's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
4rch1t3ct wrote:
blasted INVINCIBLE BUTCHER
Ugh. I feel your pain.

Yeah, Eff that guy. Him, Slendy 3, KM 3, The Old Master and the Golden Eyed God can go die in a fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been saving my most interesting survivors after they die, noting their equipment and method of death, since receiving the game. My intention, eventually, is to pull them out for one shot attempts against the really tough monsters. I'm also thinking of modifying the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Flesh Monolith hunt event
to bring these Most Interesting Survivors back based on their gear and the current lantern year (I'd make a d10/100 list with the best survivors only available in the latest years). Think it would be quite neat. They'd come back with all their old gear, but the gear would be cursed and would disappear with them when they died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zamnath wrote:
I've been saving my most interesting survivors after they die, noting their equipment and method of death, since receiving the game. My intention, eventually, is to pull them out for one shot attempts against the really tough monsters. I'm also thinking of modifying the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Flesh Monolith hunt event
to bring these Most Interesting Survivors back based on their gear and the current lantern year (I'd make a d10/100 list with the best survivors only available in the latest years). Think it would be quite neat. They'd come back with all their old gear, but the gear would be cursed and would disappear with them when they died.

I'm doing the same. I have a collection of "badass" survivors from previous settlements.

My favourite one among these is a fully blind Twilight Knight in my 2nd settlement. We decided to house rule him to be able to continually hunt based on his other senses because he was the last man standing against a Lv.2 White Lion and still managed to win.

Yes, he got blinded twice in that showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.