Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched but do the rules say how you round when a plant does half production?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
There's no way for a plant to do half production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Power Grid without the map, your power plant is either completely on or conpletely off. Just like normal Power Grid it can only do normal production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
I searched but do the rules say how you round when a plant does half production?

Page 3, point 4:
Quote:
Players cannot choose to use only half of the necessary resources to get half of the income.

For clarity, it should have been restated as well on page 9, Earning cash and determining the player order, but such omissions are typical, unfortunately .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I don't see why it would need to be restated since there is no implication anywhere that you CAN half-power a plant. I probably wouldn't have bothered stating it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
I don't see why it would need to be restated since there is no implication anywhere that you CAN half-power a plant. I probably wouldn't have bothered stating it at all.

This. Rules must state once what you can do, not twice what you cannot do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

There are 8 or so pages of rules for a game that is 90 percent the same. My eyes caught the words "half production" but apparently missed the Cannot.

So I agree this might have been better said, But I scanned that sentence several times looking for clarification and totally missed the cannot. Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

Redundancy can be a good thing.

Because the published rules serve 2 purposes: to teach the game and to act as a reference during the game. The organization you use for these differ. If you're scanning through the rules trying to find out something, you want all the pertinent rules to be located logically. You'd expect to find a clarification about powering half of a power plant in the section that describes powering power plants.

You obviously cannot write every clarification about things you cannot do (can't steal from the bank, can't tear a resource card in two to make change, can't sing showtunes to throw off your opponent...), but in this case, there was a rule worth mentioning: you cannot power half of a power plant (or stated another way, you must fully power a plant). If it is worth mentioning, that must mean it was an important clarification. Any important clarification should be found easily while you're skimming the rules in the middle of a game. And a little redundancy is not a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.