Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Ward
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...hmm
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been interested in how the campaigns will be integrated as well. Unfortunately, I don't think you missed any info yet.

Hopefully we get a heads up - I noticed at a couple online stores the anticipated release date is now in June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Frey
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm in the process of playing through ZBP right now, and it seems like in that game that they created levels, and then wrote some fluff to try and tie those levels together into a very cursory plot.

That was not considered "story" mode, so I'm hoping this means they will actually put a little more effort into the story aspect for this. Part of that concept would seem to require having a "main villain", and I'm not sure that is apparent in their character design. It would have to be one of the non-KS exclusive enemies, none of which really stand out as being more evil/crafty/developed than the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkKainDrg wrote:
I'm sure I have missed some details during the KS campaign, but I'm just curious about something. How deep is the campaign element going to be? Is it just a series of missions with stats carrying over? Or is there a sembelence of story as well?

I suspect, but it's only a guess based on what little we have heard, that Campaign Mode will mostly be a mechanic to slow leveling down so that Characters are not maxed out half way through the story line.

That, and perhaps the rules will suggest certain enemies for certain quests to assist with theme in the overall story arc... But again, just a guess, and this part is NOT based on any info at all.

There could (hopefully will) be other mechanics that create more immersion, but I personally am not holding my breath for too much difference between Standard and Campaign play.

I could see the potential, for example, to incorporate some additional flavor text that is mostly optional to read, in an effort to buoy the Campaign "feel".

Still looking forward to checking it all out though.

I'd be curious to hear what others would like to see in Campaign Mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy if they delayed the entire thing so they can really give a good campaign mode/story. It has such potential they would be foolish not to invest the manpower into making it a meaty experience, otherwise its going to be like Zombicide in that it gets a bit boring doing the same thing over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
rnickster86 wrote:
I'd be happy if they delayed the entire thing so they can really give a good campaign mode/story. It has such potential they would be foolish not to invest the manpower into making it a meaty experience, otherwise its going to be like Zombicide in that it gets a bit boring doing the same thing over and over.

What would you consider to be a "Meaty" experience?

This is why I'm curious as to what others idea of a good Campaign Mode might be?

And I say this because, without a GM/ Story-teller/ Moderator, any RP elements will have to be light? So what's left?

A strong story line of course, but that's just flavor text really.

A Branching Story line would be cool (Sort of a Choose your own adventure kind of thing), but that would take a ton of extra missions to be really interesting. Otherwise, we'd just have minor differences depending on the outcome of the previous quest, like Descent 2ed or I.A.

Which in all likelihood would probably be limited to slightly different set up at the beginning of the next quest. Though if that meant missing opportunities to get certain items or something, I suppose even that could be good.

But yeah, a meaningful story, with significantly different outcomes dependent on player(s) choice almost necessitates a referee in the absence of a ton of extra material that might never be played because of a deeply branching story. Or a "Legacy" style game perhaps, but I don't think that's the target audience here.

And I'm not saying that isn't possible of course, but I don't feel like that is the way CMoN thinks in terms of board games. They seem more focused on sandbox mechanics with details left up to the players, and replayability based on a variety of characters and random monster spawns..

As to delays specifically for tweaking Campaign Mode, I suspect that it would be far more likely that CMoN would release the standard game as early as possible and publish Campaign Mode rules at a later date as they have done with "Campaigns" in past iterations of Zcide.

Still, I am curious to hear what specifics other players would like to see in a "True" Campaign Mode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have a half decent story but more importantly variety in the missions, with different objectives and also different approaches to win the scenario. In one of the interviews the developers talked about a bridge you had to smash with an otherwise indestructible monster standing on it, these kind of things I find exciting.

Sadly, it appears that all monsters can appear almost in every scenario as they are drawn randomly from the monster decks, so the enemies will be hard to integrate in the storyline as specific characters. I am still hoping they are tweaking this aspect and that is why we did not get more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
rnickster86 wrote:

This is a CMON game... the story/campaign will most likely have about the same about of depth/meaty experience as a Chinese fortune cookie.

It'll be very similar to Zombicide: Black Plague in that sense but perhaps with a few more advanced rules.

When it comes to meaty games I'm already covered, games like Gloomhaven/Kingdom Death Monster will provide me with that experience, this is not going to be that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy with depth of campaign and passing on story. If they could do some cool stuff with branching choices that affect future missions, I'd be satisfied. As long as the story allows lots of growth in the future (re: great evil defeated, but rumors grow in the East) I'll be set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
I would like to have a half decent story but more importantly variety in the missions, with different objectives and also different approaches to win the scenario. In one of the interviews the developers talked about a bridge you had to smash with an otherwise indestructible monster standing on it, these kind of things I find exciting.

Sadly, it appears that all monsters can appear almost in every scenario as they are drawn randomly from the monster decks, so the enemies will be hard to integrate in the storyline as specific characters. I am still hoping they are tweaking this aspect and that is why we did not get more details.

It's also very easy to tweak and tailor said decks to increase the theme, or enhance the 'story'.
So, despite it being random, one could effectively tailor the monster decks to only include goblins, orcs, trolls, ogres, and the like. Or, you could tailor it for Troglodytes, the Minotaur, the Werebeasts, and others.

It's very easy to tailor the experience to ones liking, despite everything being drawn from the decks at random.

This game feels like a sandbox dungeon crawl that takes place on a single map, with slight variations to the rules that allows certain aspects of 'leveling' to carry over from one adventure to the next.
From what I could tell from the campaign is that this was a game that was designed to be self-contained on each map, and only were campaign adventures added after backer requests.

MD is a very customizable system that will allow the players to customize the experience without the need of a game master, or anyone playing the villains. At least this is the way I see it. Even if the included scenarios don't include alternate objectives besides killing monsters, it looks like a very easy system to 'plug-and-play' a few minor house rules to easily customize the adventure to do-so.

So, regardless if there is an in-built campaign system or not, and whether or not anyone feels that such a system would be lacking without a GM, I am confident that MD will provide an easy system to allow for such things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Linn
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
QorDaq wrote:

Still, I am curious to hear what specifics other players would like to see in a "True" Campaign Mode?

Something like the Descent app. Story-line, side quests, inventory/character management, saving, etc. It would put this game on another level entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyh wrote:
QorDaq wrote:

Something like the Descent app. Story-line, side quests, inventory/character management, saving, etc. It would put this game on another level entirely.

I could not agree more with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewAU wrote:
rnickster86 wrote:

This is a CMON game... the story/campaign will most likely have about the same about of depth/meaty experience as a Chinese fortune cookie.

It'll be very similar to Zombicide: Black Plague in that sense but perhaps with a few more advanced rules.

When it comes to meaty games I'm already covered, games like Gloomhaven/Kingdom Death Monster will provide me with that experience, this is not going to be that

THIS Î

I don't see or have seen any indication that MD, as good and interesting as it may look, will be any different than other sandbox games they have produced.

Let's face it, you don't play diablo for the depth of it's campaign, right ????, I see many similarities between MD and diablo... Loads of monsters and the focus being put on hero development, I like what I see, at last a dungeon crawler that doesn't try too hard and miserably fail to the task, lost in a series of overly clunky mechanics...

I'd rather have a well developed sandbox from which I can imagine my own campaign engine rather than being tied to a scripted system with no replayability value!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.