Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Carroll
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Cthulhu Wars Homebrewers Unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this may be a dumb question, and I tried searching for an answer, but I couldn't find anything.

Here's the situation. I'm Yellow Sign, and I have Hastur, three Byakhee, the King in Yellow, and five Undead parked on top of R'lyeh. I've just killed Cthulhu and I take the gate with Joseph Curwen. I have one power left, Cthulhu has nine (Nuclear Chaos chicanery), the other factions have no power. He recruits a Cultist in New Zealand, and I yank the gate from the South Pacific with Curwen. On my turn I use my last power to Desecrate the South Pacific. Cthulhu, now with eight power, moves the Cultist to the South Pacific (seven power), builds and takes a gate there (four power), and then summons Cthulhu.

The table erupts in argument. No ruling can be found in the Omega Rulebook (I did not check myself), but since GC had been getting mollywopped the entire turn by myself, Windwalker, and Black Goat, we let it slide. Since this was the last turn, the Elder Sign he nabbed ended up putting him in second place after Wind Walker. I came in fifth, so I have no dog in this fight, but out of curiosity; should we have allowed this, and where is there a ruling I can point to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no such requirement, where did you get that idea from?

In general, enemy units being in your area don't mean anything beyond the actions they can take (Capture, Battle, Build Gate, Control/Abandon Gate, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam is correct. You can build a gate whereever there isn't one and you have a cultist in that area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Carroll
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Cthulhu Wars Homebrewers Unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't say that I had the idea, I said there was contention over it that I wanted to resolve. The general argument was that it wouldn't make sense for you to be allowed to build a gate on an area you don't totally control, but there was no printed rule stating this. Thank you for clarifying and confirming we were correct to allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pr0xyWarrior wrote:
I didn't say that I had the idea, I said there was contention over it that I wanted to resolve. The general argument was that it wouldn't make sense for you to be allowed to build a gate on an area you don't totally control, but there was no printed rule stating this. Thank you for clarifying and confirming we were correct to allow it.

The only way to truly "control" an area is by controlling the gate in the area. Everyone else is just a bystander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Pr0xyWarrior wrote:

There is no true mechanic in CW related to "Controlling" an "Area" - both of those terms are specific game terms, but "Control" refers to Gates (and, occasionally to Units). Areas are not Controlled, they either have a Unit of yours in them, or don't and that's the extent of it, basically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.