Subject: Finally, I get it!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of you know that one of my pet peeves is how the film industry routinely messes up films that are based on books. Or, in other words, they change a lot of stuff from the book, add things not in it, and remove others -- all in the name of "improving" the book. GRRRRRRR...

Seriously, don't get me started...

Anyway......I recently read a teen book that the character is a drama teacher and loves theater, acting, etc. The character's father is a scientist and she complains about having to go to his lab when she was a child. She is speaking about it with her 12-year old daughter:

Daughter asks: "Were there any cool experiments?"

"It was all completely boring; that was the problem, no emotions, no excitement, no drama!"

Daughter responds: "There's lots of drama in science."

"Really? A bunch of boring people standing around in white lab coats?"

Daughter responds: "They aren't boring! They're passionate! Like you're always talking about!"

The daughter then explains about The Manhattan Project and Jonas Salk. Mother then adds: "Still, those stories could use some romance. I mean, who were they in love with?"

So......wow! The lightbulb went off in my head. Drama/film people are looking for excitement, passion, drama, and they usually equate that with romance or something similar. That's why the Tutankhamun show had to have Carter having sex with 2 different women; that's why books are changed - to spice things up; that's why the Prince Caspian movie had a romantic subplot between Susan and the Prince. OMG! I see!!

But I still don't like it!

//rant off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
This seems like a good place to leave this:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
What you said, and two other words for good measure: "Sex sells"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1500 people die needlessly and horribly at sea...
But, they were in Love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
1500 people die needlessly and horribly at sea...
But, they were in Love!

Oh yes, I had totally forgotten about this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"Summer Wheatley of 42 P`LAID TWO TIMES!"
Coverart comprising the following:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A most excellent rant.

Do you recommend the book? If so, what is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand they took the sex between Hooper and Sheriff Brody's wife out of the book Jaws when they made the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
On the other hand they took the sex between Hooper and Sheriff Brody's wife out of the book Jaws when they made the movie.

Sharks outsell sex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

Sharks outsell sex

But sharks and tornados were a movie - so maybe the next installment is:

"Fifty Shades of Sharknado"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
A most excellent rant.

Oh, yes!

It's a middle grades book and super funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Here's a little bit of insight into how Hollywood works. Sadly this is all too true....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
No kidding. I just added that Tutankhamen movie to my "to see" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it, but it doesn't make me like the "forced romantic subplot" any more than if I didn't get it. I also get that sometimes when adapting some older stories they tend to be a little white-male-heavy and I'm good with trying to add a little diversity, but too often it comes across as forced.

I have no explanation for Eragon, the Hobbit trilogy or Gulliver's Travels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I don't know if you know this or not but movies are extremely formulaic. There are so many plot structures and pretty much every screen play follows them. Books don't necessarily go by this so when a book is adapted to a screenplay often it is hammered to fit into that formula. Once you know the plot structures it's hard to not see them in every movie, yet if a movie doesn't follow those plot structures it often bombs.

The one I hate the most is for the romantic comedy. The boy and the girl meet in some crazy "meet cute." Then he likes her but she doesn't like him, then she likes him but he doesn't like her and just as they both are about to admit their feelings for each other their is some wacky misunderstanding and they break up. Then they realize they can't live without each other but neither will admit it until (usually) the boy chases after her and wins her back with some romantic gesture at the climax.

So it's bad enough as a guy sitting through these awful romance movies but when you know the plot beforehand I just want to shoot my brains out. It's even worse when they decide to remake a Shakespeare play in modern times like "10 things i hate about you." They couldn't even write a new damned story.

Chris, is this the same thing as "tropes" because most horror movies have the same tropes and follow a similar plot line and denouement. I love movies that surprise me or break the 4th wall.

I don't watch Romantic Comedies anymore either. They are too dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
MABBY wrote:
No kidding. I just added that Tutankhamen movie to my "to see" list.

It's a miniseries. Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5193662/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
I don't know if you know this or not but movies are extremely formulaic. There are so many plot structures and pretty much every screen play follows them. Books don't necessarily go by this so when a book is adapted to a screenplay often it is hammered to fit into that formula. Once you know the plot structures it's hard to not see them in every movie, yet if a movie doesn't follow those plot structures it often bombs.

The one I hate the most is for the romantic comedy. The boy and the girl meet in some crazy "meet cute." Then he likes her but she doesn't like him, then she likes him but he doesn't like her and just as they both are about to admit their feelings for each other their is some wacky misunderstanding and they break up. Then they realize they can't live without each other but neither will admit it until (usually) the boy chases after her and wins her back with some romantic gesture at the climax.

So it's bad enough as a guy sitting through these awful romance movies but when you know the plot beforehand I just want to shoot my brains out. It's even worse when they decide to remake a Shakespeare play in modern times like "10 things i hate about you." They couldn't even write a new damned story.

Chris, is this the same thing as "tropes" because most horror movies have the same tropes and follow a similar plot line and denouement. I love movies that surprise me or break the 4th wall.

I don't watch Romantic Comedies anymore either. They are too dumb.

My wife loves them. I don't mind watching them with her, I just wish she didn't expect real life (and, frankly, me!) to be/act like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I get it, but it doesn't make me like the "forced romantic subplot" any more than if I didn't get it. I also get that sometimes when adapting some older stories they tend to be a little white-male-heavy and I'm good with trying to add a little diversity, but too often it comes across as forced.

But diversity also goes overboard. Sometimes groups that were historically all white are portrayed with diversity.......that is taking PC too far, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Where do they get Romcoms? Romance isn't funny in real life. It's often cruel and depressing.

Or is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

But diversity also goes overboard. Sometimes groups that were historically all white are portrayed with diversity.......that is taking PC too far, IMHO.
Agreed. And sometimes it's just "let's make character X black and street" or "super four-alarm gay" for no real reason. My wife has been watching a lot of stupid TV lately and she watched some show where I swear 90% of the characters are gay or lesbian (Young & Hungry or something like that). It didn't help the show was just plain stupid too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Ross
Ireland
Cork City
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
molnar wrote:
A most excellent rant.

Oh, yes!

It's a middle grades book and super funny!

Ha! We bought this one for our son for Christmas!
He's only 8 though, so I think I'll read it, myself, first to see if he's ready for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Couldn't get Hamilton tickets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Couldn't get Hamilton tickets?

Hamilton is a different beast as it is a musical and on purpose breaking the stereotypical roles in a fun way.

I'm talking a historical type action/dramas where they make a character a minority...for inclusion diversity?? They don't realize that they're making them into tokens instead of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

Eh, both genre fiction and blockbuster movies are formulaic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Most of you know that one of my pet peeves is how the film industry routinely messes up films that are based on books. Or, in other words, they change a lot of stuff from the book, add things not in it, and remove others -- all in the name of "improving" the book. GRRRRRRR...

I would suggest that a film of a book isn't made for the X number of people who read the book, it's for the X x 1,000 people who like to go to the movies, and also that the rules of film drama are different and more restrictive that what one can pull off in a novel.

However, I do agree that it's lame when a romance is stapled onto a story where it never belonged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.