Subject: Scenario 94 Hawkshead Woods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
My regular opponent and I have played this scenario 4 times now, each playing each side twice. And we've both played CC no less than 40 times each with various opponents other than just each other.

That said, what the heck are the British supposed to do to win this one?

Even when the British have an appropriate hand and go first they still seem to be unable to inflict sufficient damage on the Germans to pull off a win.

While the Germans do suffer from double points for their eliminated units they get double points for exiting the map. The British benefit from being able to do Light Wounds to save some eliminations but cannot exit the map.

When we've played the Germans often "turtle" in the brush north of the road or behind the hedges and then work their way off the map without too much trouble.

What are we missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is coming up in about a month or two in our Chronological series....hopefully I'll make Paul play the British and you'll have your answer......it could be "Make Dan play the Axis against you." LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

At the moment, I don't have access to the scenario card nor the unit breakdown, so please excuse my ignorance if I state something that is obvious and been tried. I personally have not played the scenario.

Do the British units have smoke laying capability? It may be necessary to lay out a smoke screen and move in for melee. I recently had a RSG where my opponent had some dug in Brits (in trenches and a bunker). I wasn't going to break them by trading shots, so I laid a generous amount of smoke, hoped for a non-breezy day and moved in for melee. I was losing miserably on VP's, so really, it was my only option to go for a forced surrender victory.

I can not offer any advice for the Germans slipping past for exit points as I am not familiar with the map layout or possible positioning of the units. I would assume the Brits are the attackers in this scenario, so the onus is on them to bring the battle to the Germans. Generally, I will allow one or two units as sort of a 'road block' to block easy passages for exiting the map. These units tend to become casualties, but they do serve in delaying your opponent from easy exiting.

With each game of CC, I find that there is a nice little puzzle to solve for both sides. Sometimes one side's solution is just a bit more intuitive than the other. I personally like the challenge of playing the perceived 'tougher' side as when you do figure it out the experience is even more rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:

With each game of CC, I find that there is a nice little puzzle to solve for both sides. Sometimes one side's solution is just a bit more intuitive than the other. I personally like the challenge of playing the perceived 'tougher' side as when you do figure it out the experience is even more rewarding.

Absolutely! Solving the puzzle is half the fun. That said, we're wondering if the scenario is balanced since we're 4 for 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.