Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been referencing the posts concerning the number of investigators for solo play. I've only just started playing and used 2 characters for my first game which worked quite well but I felt the movement was a bit slow. I've now added in FL and SR but haven't tried them together as I've been busy building my storage inserts. I did,however, attempt a 4 investigator game with FL only and although it added interest I found it difficult to keep track of where I was, even without the usual domestic interruptions. Most of the posts I have read go back a while and mention MoM as adding interest to the 2 player game. Since then, of course, SR has appeared with the Focus idea included and several other little refinements. After all this, my question is: Am I better sticking with 2 investigators and what are the detractions as opposed to using 4, as a solo game, and bearing in mind that I don't have MoM and don't intend to get any expansion that increases the already too large 'footprint'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 2 but it's hard. 4 makes it much easier to cover ground but adds too much bookkeeping for my tastes. Do whatever suits you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play solo in a somewhat episodic manner, leaving the game and returning later. As such I find it helpful to use two differently coloured markers to keep track of whether we are currently in actions or encounters and which investigator is active. I find that helps a lot with managing 4 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 4 investigators for solo play, I use a "token" from another game to place on the active Investigator each turn just in case of an interruption. I a;so keep a pad & pencil close by if I am unable to come back to the solo game for a length of time, I write down briefly where I am in the game turn and what I was about to do (objectives).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2,4,6 solo and found 4 to be best. You can cover more ground, have a better rounded team with 4 and not be too much. I have all the expansions thus far and found that getting the game organized, more play throughs, and taking my time have really helped keep track of the game. I typically play the game over a couple days and if I stop I always do so after a mythos, finishing up a round. Getting to know the items and investigators really helps, so I start to automatically know what to do or think about as I cycle through my team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention that I only have Forsaken Lore Expansion and it adds just enough cards for the game to be manageable (for me....for now).
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those very useful suggestions. I shall definitely try using the pencil and pad and the colour coding ideas, and think about sticking with the 4 investigators. As a marker for my first couple of games (and only ones) I used the superfluous counter pushed out from the centre of the Omen token which I placed on the active investigators....... but I still lost my way! My games have also taken 2 days to play and are naturally taking longer as I'm very much still finding my way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find that playing solo with 4 investigators just plain adds more variety to the things happening in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I've played and lost two games so far with only 2 investigators. It feels like a real waste of time to put the effort in and get nowhere so next I'll give 4 a go. (I've had similar issues with MoM2).

Regarding taking notes I use my phone but the battery runs out by the end of the game. Then I type up session reports based on the notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.