Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought this game recently. We have not played it before.

We are fully familiar with “worker placements” ( eg Stone Age , Agricola etc).We have seen several of the video reviews of MP, but still can’t get started.

Specifically,

The rules allow only one worker to be placed on the main board
per Turn. I understand that if you buy a building, you can IMMEDIATELY use another worker to “activate” that building ) eg to produce more workers. )

Ok so far … but ..there is nothing you can do with those “new” workers, as you have used the (single) building you have just built AND you can’t place a new worker on the main board until next turn..

So, you may have generated some workers on Turn One ( if you built a building) but – especially if you didn’t build a building - how many workers does each Player have for the second Turn ?

If, for instance, you did NOT build a building on Turn One, do you have *three* only [ ie, of your original four workers] to use on Turn Two ?

Also : it seems that ANY workers deployed to the main board stay there [ for any number of Turns..] until their owner retrieves them (all). They then return to the owner’s personal supply ..BUT…

The rules seem to suggest that NOT all the workers in the Player’s personal supply are “available” for new deployments ( unlike, say, Stone Age..), regardless of how many you built on previous Turns.

So it seems that your workforce may grow very slowly ?

Does each Player have TWO " supplies" ? ie one group of workers available immediately, and another " supply" waiting to be built?

Lastly (for now) is the Espionage track on the main board ? It looks as if it's " off" the Pinboard ...

Any help much appreciated ..

[ small Edit}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further to my initial questions ...

When retrieving workers, how does the player know *which* Contractors to " retrieve" ? [ EDIT : "..retrieve from the main board.." ]

OR ...

Are ALL Contractors retrieved when ANY Player performs the retrieve Action ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that some at least of my questions have been answered at a recent Thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1682510/silly-setup-questio...

We did look at that Thread last night, using iPad app, but it is much more clear on my PC ...

Especially, the point that , once " created", "coloured" workers are " available " to that Player for subsequent Turns , and thus NOT returned to a "general supply"....is a good clarification.

I presume the advantage of one's own workers over Contractors, is that Contractors are NOT available for subsequent Turns, but have to be recruited all over again ..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capn Hook wrote:

I presume the advantage of one's own workers over Contractors, is that Contractors are NOT available for subsequent Turns, but have to be recruited all over again ..?

Correct. You start with 4 unlocked laborers of your color. Your engineers and scientists in your color are waiting to be unlocked through university buildings or main board play. After that, they are usable until placed and then retrieved into your pool for use every time you pull back your workers on a pull back turn.

Contractors are single use and you start unlocking them once you've unlocked all your colored workers. Any time you pull back your workers, all contractors on the main board go back to the general supply and you do not keep them. This includes any contractors you may have obtained but not used yet, which is an easy thing to forget.

When you pull back, all contractors on the main board and in YOUR personal pool go to the general supply AND all workers of your color on any board or buildings come back to your personal unlocked pool. Any colored workers not yet unlocked just stay locked waiting for you to obtain them, if you in fact do so.

Subtle point you may not grasp at first: any contractors sitting on other players' buildings do NOT get removed when you pull back, only when that player does. That's why espionage often is done by placing contractors on somebody else's buildings, they block the building longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Capn Hook wrote:
Ok so far … but ..there is nothing you can do with those “new” workers, as you have used the (single) building you have just built AND you can’t place a new worker on the main board until next turn..

Correct.

Quote:
So, you may have generated some workers on Turn One ( if you built a building) but – especially if you didn’t build a building - how many workers does each Player have for the second Turn ?

Each player has the number of workers left that they haven't played yet.

Quote:
If, for instance, you did NOT build a building on Turn One, do you have *three* only [ ie, of your original four workers] to use on Turn Two ?

Also assuming you didn't take a University action on the main board to gain more workers, Yes.

Quote:
Also : it seems that ANY workers deployed to the main board stay there [ for any number of Turns..] until their owner retrieves them (all). They then return to the owner’s personal supply ..BUT…

Correct.

Quote:
The rules seem to suggest that NOT all the workers in the Player’s personal supply are “available” for new deployments ( unlike, say, Stone Age..), regardless of how many you built on previous Turns.

All the workers in your personal supply are available, but your (colored) works that haven't made it into your supply can't be played.

Quote:
Does each Player have TWO " supplies" ? ie one group of workers available immediately, and another " supply" waiting to be built?

You have your personal supply of workers ready to be played, and there are also (at the start of the game) some workers of your color in the general supply who are waiting to be recruited.

Quote:
Lastly (for now) is the Espionage track on the main board ? It looks as if it's " off" the Pinboard ...

Yes, it is on the mainboard.

Capn Hook wrote:
When retrieving workers, how does the player know *which* Contractors to " retrieve" ? [ EDIT : "..retrieve from the main board.." ]

You retrieve all workers from your player board to their supplies
1) Your workers to your supply
2) Opponents workers to their (respective) supply
3) Contractors (gray) to the general supply.
And all (unused) contractors in your personal supply to the general supply.
And all contractors on the main board to the general supply
and all your workers on the main board to your personal supply
[edit:] and all your workers on any other players' board are returned to your personal supply.

Quote:

No, contractors on other players' boards, or in their personal supply(ies) are not retrieved.

Capn Hook wrote:
Especially, the point that , once " created", "coloured" workers are " available " to that Player for subsequent Turns , and thus NOT returned to a "general supply"....is a good clarification.

Yes, I think you have it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The activation of spaces by putting workers on them is fairly easy to understand.

You begin the game with four Laborers in your supply. All the scientists and engineers in your color begin the game in the general supply. When you assign a worker to a University (spaces which are colored purple), you take from the general supply immediately the matching output and add it to your personal supply. You can use it immediately if you have a space to do so. If there are no workers available in your color, you may have a grey contractor worker of the appropriate type if one is available.

When you wish to, you may instead of placing any workers, recall your workers. All workers in your color that have ever been in your personal supply are returned there, no matter where they are. All contractors on the main board go to the general supply. All contractors in your personal supply also go to the general supply. Also, you clear your player board, returning any workers in another player's color to their supply and any contractors to the general supply.

This game features continuous play. It is not like the other games you mention above with a placing worker phase and an activating worker phase. Each player chooses their type of phase (place or recall) each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
More Mellotron wrote:
Contractors are single use and you start unlocking them once you've unlocked all your colored workers.

Just to clarify - you may choose to take Contractors from the General Supply even if you have not taken all your own Workers of that type yet (page 9).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
instinctive wrote:
More Mellotron wrote:
Contractors are single use and you start unlocking them once you've unlocked all your colored workers.

Just to clarify - you may choose to take Contractors from the General Supply even if you have not taken all your own Workers of that type yet (page 9).

You may, yes, but I can't imagine a practical scenario in which you would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
More Mellotron wrote:
instinctive wrote:
You may, yes, but I can't imagine a practical scenario in which you would.
Grabbing three Contractor Laborers is a common first move in our games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
instinctive wrote:
Grabbing three Contractor Laborers is a common first move in our games!

But that isn't the situation you noted. All your laborers are unlocked to start with, so that's not a case of taking the contractors instead of the comparable workers of your own color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:

You retrieve all workers from your player board to their supplies
1) Your workers to your supply
2) Opponents workers to their (respective) supply
3) Contractors (gray) to the general supply.
And all (unused) contractors in your personal supply to the general supply.
And all contractors on the main board to the general supply
and all your workers on the main board to your personal supply
[edit:] and all your workers on any other players' board are returned to your personal supply.

Quote:

No, contractors on other players' boards, or in their personal supply(ies) are not retrieved.

re "2. opponents' workers" do you mean "enemy" pieces placed on my board via Espionage ?

I have to say, it looks like my question "..
Quote:
Are ALL Contractors retrieved [ EDIT eg from Main Board..) when ANY Player performs the retrieve Action ?
remains unanswered ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL workers are removed from your PLAYER BOARD when you retrieve. All contractors are removed from the MAIN BOARD when you retrieve.

To clear up any confusion anyone might have who wanders on to this thread, I will type up the worker retrieval rules verbatim from the rule book. I believe they are clear and unambiguous. (De-emphasis mine )

RETRIEVE WORKERS

Step 1: Return all of your permanent Workers from the Main Board and all Player Boards to your personal supply.
Do not collect any Workers from the General Supply at this time.

Step 2: Return all Workers on your Buildings, Bombs, and Implosion Test counters to their appropriate supplies.
Contractors return to the General Supply. Permanent Workers return to their owners' personal supplies.

Step 3: Return all contractors on the Main Board and your personal supply to the General Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
ALL workers are removed from your PLAYER BOARD when you retrieve. All contractors are removed from the MAIN BOARD when you retrieve.

To clear up any confusion anyone might have who wanders on to this thread, I will type up the worker retrieval rules verbatim from the rule book. I believe they are clear and unambiguous. (De-emphasis mine )

RETRIEVE WORKERS

Step 3: Return all contractors on the Main Board and your personal supply to the General Supply.

Thanks Brandon !
As I read Step 3, above, it could be that I "..return ALL Contractors on the Main Board...and personal supply... whether I placed them, or someone else did..."

or ..that I [only] return Contractors that I had placed...( as well as those in my supply (ie built/recruited but not played..))

The first interpretation would mean a high turnover of Contractors from the Main Board; the second interpretation would require very careful monitoring of exactly who placed which contractor(s).

To put it more simply perhaps : When ( if at all) can I retrieve/remove Contractors placed by other Players?

I can see advantages to the Game play of both interpretations, but I'd prefer to play to the design intention.

BTW if this thread is not useful, I'll be happy to see it Deleted, assuming I can't do that myself, as a BGG User

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All contractors means all contractors. Who placed them isn't specified, and doesn't matter. All contractors on the main board are returned to the general supply.

As you can see in Step 2:

"Return all Workers on your Buildings, Bombs, and Implosion Test counters to their appropriate supplies."

Contractors are workers. All workers on your buildings are returned to their appropriate supplies. So that's how you remove contractors (and all other workers) from your buildings... by retrieving workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.