United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just played scenario 28 and I wanted to clarify a rule with anyone familiar with that scenario. I'll spoiler tag the question, just in case:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Under the normal rules, monsters cannot pickup, drop, or trade items. However, the Demon Lord specifically CAN steal the Ring from a Hero if the normal Stealing requirement is met (on an attack with 2+ damage).

In our game, the Demon Lord beat down a Hero with the ring, and rather than Steal the Ring, the traitor decided to apply damage, thus killing the Hero. The Hero therefore dropped all their items, including the Ring.

So, the question was, can the Demon Lord pick up the ring? In the end, we ruled that he could not. The Traitor rules specifically mention that he can STEAL the ring and that the Ring can be stolen from him, but that's it, so we assumed that the normal monster rules apply.

This fit the rules as written, but seemed a bit odd thematically. It also meant that another Hero was able to grab the ring, because while the Traitor character was in the room, their turn occurs before activating monsters. (That is, the Traitor himself could have grabbed the ring).

Our ruling resulted in the next character picking up the Ring and then defeating the Demon Lord. So it was a significant ruling, that would have had a big impact.

I'm curious what people think. While I've played this game a number of times, I've had very few scenarios with Monsters, so I feel that understanding this situation may be relevant in future scenarios.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Mathias
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would have let the Demon Lord pick up the ring. Thematically, it would make sense. If anyone in my group argued, I'd say, "He steals it off of his dead body."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
androidodnetnin wrote:
Personally, I would have let the Demon Lord pick up the ring. Thematically, it would make sense. If anyone in my group argued, I'd say, "He steals it off of his dead body."

I should clarify, that my overall question is that if the rules give the Demon Lord player-like powers, does that mean I should assume this monster can act like a player?

Sounds like Skip Mathias thinks so.

It seems quite clear that the rules give the Demon Lord the ability to steal only, but I wonder if the rest of the abilities is therefore implied.

Not allowing him to pick up the ring actually adds quite a bit of strategy. Otherwise, you would always kill the player-character, as that's your goal anyway. But letting them live, but grabbing the ring means the Demon Lord is much safer in the near-term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.