Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time and have a few questions.

1) Does using a "Discard this card to <effect>" card take an action?

2) If it doesn't, then if I search and get a "Discard this card to <effect>" card, and my backpack is already full, do I need to first discard something from my backpack before I can use it?

3) When the scenario starts with zombies in some closed rooms, do I still spawn (additional) zombies as normal when opening those rooms? (I assumed yes, but just wanted to check.)

4) It sounds like you don't spawn zombies when opening the first door *into* a Vault, but if you open the other Vault door from inside the Vault and that door is in a room that hasn't been opened in some other way, you *do* spawn zombies into that (non-vault) room. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notwebsafe wrote:
Just played this for the first time and have a few questions.

1) Does using a "Discard this card to <effect>" card take an action?

No, unless they say otherwise. However, if it has a Hand icon, it must be in Hand, and if you ask me, the ones with the Backpack icon need to be in your Backpack (although a ruling that implies otherwise... see below).

Quote:
2) If it doesn't, then if I search and get a "Discard this card to <effect>" card, and my backpack is already full, do I need to first discard something from my backpack before I can use it?

According to a ruling we received, this is apparently OK, but it breaks a few other cards rules, and we never received a response to this counter-argument.

I instead house rule that the cards must be in your Backpack to activate their discard ability, so you can't discard your apples and get the experience for them too.

Quote:
3) When the scenario starts with zombies in some closed rooms, do I still spawn (additional) zombies as normal when opening those rooms? (I assumed yes, but just wanted to check.)

Yes.

Quote:
4) It sounds like you don't spawn zombies when opening the first door *into* a Vault, but if you open the other Vault door from inside the Vault and that door is in a room that hasn't been opened in some other way, you *do* spawn zombies into that (non-vault) room. Is that correct?

Yes, provided the building you are opening the Vault door into has not been spawned beforehand due to a different door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Collins
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: using apples or similar items found in search. GG has ruled that you can discard them immediately for the one point bump. It makes sense thematically since you're eating them. "Cedric rummages in the debris in the room and finds a couple apples. Not wanting to share them with any one he quickly gobbles them down."

The counter point mentioned above is using a firesword which requires discard for a special effect. To me that's no where near the same thing, and shouldn't be considered to be such.

I can't quite imagine Cedric eating a Fire Sword. (smiles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it uses exactly the same wording.

The ruling also contradicts the stance from modern Zombicide (confirmed in the FAQ) on the Sniper Rifle. In that game, the Rifle and Scope had a special rule allowing you to discard them to gain the Sniper Rifle. It was ruled this could only be done from in your inventory and not while Searching.

So yeah, it's a ruling, but it's a poor one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Yes, but it uses exactly the same wording.

The ruling also contradicts the stance from modern Zombicide (confirmed in the FAQ) on the Sniper Rifle. In that game, the Rifle and Scope had a special rule allowing you to discard them to gain the Sniper Rifle. It was ruled this could only be done from in your inventory and not while Searching.

So yeah, it's a ruling, but it's a poor one.

I never played modern but you're saying that if you had the rifle equipped and found a scope you would have to go through the steps of equipping the scope and then discarding them together in order to gain the sniper rifle? You couldn't simply discard the scope out of (search) hand along with the rifle to get the sniper rifle, correct?

If that is the case then yes indeed they have taken a liberty with the ruling on Apples. If they intended it then I agree it should have been worded differently so as to not be confusing when teaching and playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) You get a free inventory reorganization when searching so you wouldn't have to spend an action to equip it

b) That's not what he's talking about. He's saying that if you have one of the two items and your inventory is full, if you search and find the other one, you'd have to discard something to make inventory space before discarding the two items to get the sniper rifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
a) You get a free inventory reorganization when searching so you wouldn't have to spend an action to equip it

Understood, but there is a cost associated with the process, that being an action, or having only one hand equipped. Free re-org to put it in hand, then discard it = one hand empty. Now you have to spend another action to fill the hand.

IdleHacker wrote:
b) That's not what he's talking about. He's saying that if you have one of the two items and your inventory is full, if you search and find the other one, you'd have to discard something to make inventory space before discarding the two items to get the sniper rifle.

Same thing, I think. You have to re-org to get them both into hand, then you end up with one hand empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is what I was saying and I agree it seems you are saying the same thing. Here is the FAQ entry:

Modern Zombicide FAQ wrote:
Q: If my inventory is full, including a Gasoline card, do I need to discard something in order to make space for the Glass bottles card another Survivor is giving me, before combining them to make a Molotov?

A: Yes. You must place the card in your inventory before you can combine it with another card in your inventory. The same goes for the Rifle and Scope.

The ruling contradicts this concept. They should have stuck with, in my opinion, and that's how I choose to play the cards... No having no room to hold your (apple) cake and eating it too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The ruling contradicts this concept. They should have stuck with, in my opinion, and that's how I choose to play the cards... No having no room to hold your (apple) cake and eating it too...

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, so you all are saying if I Search and draw a Salted Meat/Apples/Water Card, I have to put it in my Backpack first before discarding it to gain the 1 XP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
Hmmm, so you all are saying if I Search and draw a Salted Meat/Apples/Water Card, I have to put it in my Backpack first before discarding it to gain the 1 XP?

Yes, that's how we are saying they should be played. It matches the old ruling and makes more sense given other abilities.

But feel free to follow the new ruling if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it would go down like this:

First Action - Search
Find Apples
Place in Back Pack

2nd Action
Discard Apples and gain 1XP.

3rd Action - Move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:

First Action - Search
Find Apples
Place in Back Pack

2nd Action

3rd Action - Move

It's not an action to eat the apples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

First Action - Search
Find Apples
Place in Back Pack

2nd Action

3rd Action - Move

It's not an action to eat the apples.

Then whats the issue with discarding it immediately after its drawn to get the 1XP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
Then whats the issue with discarding it immediately after its drawn to get the 1XP?

The issue happens when you have a full backpack. According to the original ruling, you can't do a discard free ability in the middle of doing an action, you must complete that action first. This means that if your backpack is full of 5 cards before you Search, you must discard one of the equipment cards to make room for the Apples card during the Search Action. After the Search Action is complete, you then discard the Apples card for its effect and will have one empty slot in your backpack.

That was the point of the old ruling. You can't throw away the items and still get their benefit while keeping room for everything else you're hoarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

The issue happens when you have a full backpack. According to the original ruling, you can't do a discard free ability in the middle of doing an action, you must complete that action first. This means that if your backpack is full of 5 cards before you Search, you must discard one of the equipment cards to make room for the Apples card during the Search Action. After the Search Action is complete, you then discard the Apples card for its effect and will have one empty slot in your backpack.

That was the point of the old ruling. You can't throw away the items and still get their benefit while keeping room for everything else you're hoarding.

Ahh, so this only comes into question when the backpack is full, now that makes sense. Taken with other responses above, regarding rifles and scopes or Gas canisters and glass bottles (although not an Black Plague) I can see the point as obvious, and agree with that assessment.
However, consumables like the Meat/Water/Apples cards, to me anyway, seems a stretch even with a full backpack to have to discard a card out of said backpack before being able to "consume" (discard) the consumable XP boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.