Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I already own Scythe, and Blood Rage, which I both love, but I'm looking for something else that will appeal to the euro gamer in me, but also has a lot shiny chrome

I love miniatures, but don't paint or desire to put them together, and it doesn't have to be dudes on a map or a war game. Actually, I would prefer it to be something completely different. I would also prefer a play time of no longer than 90 min...an hour would be even better, with a reasonable setup requirement. Also, the less dependent the game is on luck, the better, but I'm not averse to a little dicing chucking. A couple games on my radar are Abyss, Champions of Midgard, Shadows over Camelot (a little worried its so old, does it hold up?), and Ghost Stories (although I've heard ghost stories can be very demoralizing).

Thanks for any help you can provide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
what about Kanban: Automotive Revolution - wel you did ask for lots of chrome lol!

ummm Dungeon Petz - still prob not the chrome you were looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Anachrony?

Huge cool minis, worker placement and actions depend on worker type, different player powers, lots of strategy, tiny bit of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
If it helps, shadows over camelot really isn't that chromey and is a complete luck fest in my opinion - it really just depends on what cards you get and is not that thinky at all??

Maybe Yedo - much more thematic that lords of waterdeep?

I also have The Battle at Kemble's Cascade which is far more euroey than first appears and there lots of stuff i love about it but not sure overall but need to play more to see as only just got it??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chase down a copy of Crisis that just came out! It is an AMAZING competitive worker placement, that you have to be a little co-operative with your opponents to keep the game from ending with everyone losing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
what about Kanban: Automotive Revolution - wel you did ask for lots of chrome lol!

ummm Dungeon Petz - still prob not the chrome you were looking for!

No I definitely appreciate the suggestions! I actually owned Dungeon Petz at one point, but it didn't hit the table very often due to being a bit heavy and fiddly. I would image that Kanban would suffer the same fate, even though I would certainly enjoy playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EPratt wrote:
How about Anachrony?

Huge cool minis, worker placement and actions depend on worker type, different player powers, lots of strategy, tiny bit of luck.

Anachrony looks amazing...It does look like its high on the heaviness scale which makes me nervous, but the game length doesn't look too bad. how can you get a copy if you missed the kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whavoc wrote:

Chase down a copy of Crisis that just came out! It is an AMAZING competitive worker placement, that you have to be a little co-operative with your opponents to keep the game from ending with everyone losing!

This also looks great, but maybe a little dry for what I'm looking for? Not a ton of chrome, but it does have a great Bladerunner esque world, which I LOVE. IDK. I've got Food Chain Magnate, and Covert still in shrink dying to be played, so I might not need something like this? IDK it does look unique...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Luxton
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vital Lacerda games are the best quality, I haven't played Dungeon Petz but Kanban is heavy but not very fiddly. The Gallerist is rated a similar weight but personally I find it easier to teach and learn and the presentation and pieces fantastic quality. Vinhos Deluxe on the other fits perfectly but makes up for that with cardboard money so good I wouldn't bother buying metal. The main things is that the 2016 vintage is significantly less complex than his other games.

So basically...give Vinhos serious consideration, if you know someone who owns it beg a look and better still beg a play.

EDIT: I just noticed your Argent microbadge so you aren't exactly a lightweght gamer, that's a pretty heavy game. Another thing, Crisis retail copies only exist if the retailer kickstarted the game and it's run of the mill quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
If you're looking for something simpler and much shorter, have you tried Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) - although is going a little away from very euro, it's a much better option than camelot and involves much more thinking? Its one of mine and my mum's favourites lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
If it helps, shadows over camelot really isn't that chromey and is a complete luck fest in my opinion - it really just depends on what cards you get and is not that thinky at all??

Maybe Yedo - much more thematic that lords of waterdeep?

I also have The Battle at Kemble's Cascade which is far more euroey than first appears and there lots of stuff i love about it but not sure overall but need to play more to see as only just got it??

Yedo looks like pretty standard euro fare (not a bad thing, but I have a lot of that already), and I'll have to look more into Cascade. Also, I'll cross Camelot off the list based on your assessment. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powlo wrote:
Vital Lacerda games are the best quality, I haven't played Dungeon Petz but Kanban is heavy but not very fiddly. The Gallerist is rated a similar weight but personally I find it easier to teach and learn and the presentation and pieces fantastic quality. Vinhos Deluxe on the other fits perfectly but makes up for that with cardboard money so good I wouldn't bother buying metal. The main things is that the 2016 vintage is significantly less complex than his other games.

So basically...give Vinhos serious consideration, if you know someone who owns it beg a look and better still beg a play.

Yeah, although I know that I would personally LOVE Lacerda games, I just know they won't hit the table much due to the weight. However, if 2016 Vinhos is a more streamlined Lacerda than I might need to take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, so you're looking for stuff that's very different to others. Another one i want to pick up is Theseus: The Dark Orbit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't find Shadows over Camelot too lucky, but it doesn't meet your other requirements except for length. That said, I'd highly encourage you to check out the game -- it is a great game in my mind and can really bring a group together. But people are mixed on the game, so try before you buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City: Big Box has great table presence. Wood, not chrome.

+1 Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Okay, so you're looking for stuff that's very different to others. Another one i want to pick up is Theseus: The Dark Orbit?

Mission Red Planet doesn't look very appealing to me, can you, or someone sell me on it? I've been toying with Theseus for a while, might have to give that one a try...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperborea for a bag builder euro similar in mechanics to Orleans, or any of the Matagots: Cyclades, Kemet, or especially Inis come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn
War of the Ring Collector's Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
Hyperborea for a bag builder euro similar in mechanics to Orleans, or any of the Matagots: Cyclades, Kemet, or especially Inis come to mind.

I own Hyperborea and LOVE it, and I'm really attracted to those Matagot games, but will they offer much that Hype, Scythe, and Blood Rage don't already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lacerda. CO₂ has the chrome/art ... but takes 90+ min.

The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire might hit the sweet spot ... component quality, difficulty & time.
I know my group enjoys it: lots of options, light player interaction -- less "take that" compared to original.
If theme is chrome to you, check it out.

__
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgmclay wrote:

The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire might hit the sweet spot ... component quality, difficulty & time.
I know my group enjoys it: lots of options, light player interaction -- less "take that" compared to original.

__

I just sold my copy of Energy Empire. To offer a contrary view to the dominant one here at the Geek, I found it fairly unremarkable. The chief culprits were the fairly uninteresting core board options (save buying a building) and the "interesting on paper, but not in practice" rule where you only get to activate building of a particular color per turn. Before play it seemed to exist to offer some crunchier decisions, but in practice it just stood in the way of interesting combo potential.

Far too often we had turns where we didn't really want any of the available options, and since Building A can come out in the beginning, middle or even end of the game, they had to be designed to be fairly unremarkable and self similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
bgmclay wrote:

__

I just sold my copy of Energy Empire. To offer a contrary view to the dominant one here at the Geek, I found it fairly unremarkable. The chief culprits were the fairly uninteresting core board options (save buying a building) and the "interesting on paper, but not in practice" rule where you only get to activate building of a particular color per turn. Before play it seemed to exist to offer some crunchier decisions, but in practice it just stood in the way of interesting combo potential.

Far too often we had turns where we didn't really want any of the available options, and since Building A can come out in the beginning, middle or even end of the game, they had to be designed to be fairly unremarkable and self similar.

This is an interesting point of view as I have come VERY close to pulling the trigger on this one, but I hesitate because I'm not sure that it will offer much different than other euros I've played or owned. I'm looking to branch out a little more for this next purchase. If this game had come out a year ago, when I was building my collection it would probably have been at the top of my list! Right now, I'm looking for something a bit more adventurous and thematic, while retaining a good thinky strategic element at its core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:

Unfortunately the length and weight of these two, while definitely appealing to me, make it not worth putting the money into. They won't get played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most everything above fails the luck or time requirements. I suggest Barony, which easily completes within an hour, even at the full 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not miniatures, there are some Euros with lots of eye-catching production--boards and/or pieces--that would be "completely different" than the games you mentioned in the OP. The games feel like an event with a huge storyboard full of pieces and pictures, but are definitely less of a commitment of time than a War of the Ring or Kanban. But if these don't fit what you are looking for in terms of "chrome," feel free to ignore the suggestions.

My favorite game, Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World, has big, beautiful maps with lines of tiles and colored trains intersecting and unnecessarily detailed empty city markers.
Tzolk'in's wheels and crystals skulls look awesome. There are wooden cubes to be sure, but the package looks much bigger, brighter, and different than a Castles of Burgundy or Carcassonne or something.
A crowded Age of Empires III/Age of Discovery board with the cool art, ships, and different figures is very engaging to me.
Scoville's growing garden plot full of brightly colored or transparent peppers of increasing sizes is different every time, especially with higher player counts.
I also love the look of Stone Age with the shaped wooden resources piled in the various locations of the board and lots of tribe meeples all over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.