Popular Tags: [View All]
Pez
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times do you play a game before you rate it? Once? Twice? Does it depend on how much you like (or hate) it?

I haven't rated everything I've played, but I'd say I play a game maybe 2-3 times before I end up rating it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play a game twice, sometimes once if I feel I have a good handle on it. Ratings for me are much more fluid than reviews or even comments, so I'll change them a lot as the urge strikes me. I'll typically comment once I've come to preliminary conclusions about a game, and then if I've played a game 5+ times, and have thought about it in detail, I'd write a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I rate after 1 play if I have a good feel for it. Then I revise over time when I find that my initial gut reaction doesn't feel right anymore.

Other times it's, "hey, I haven't rated anything in a while..." and I'll add some ratings after several plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate after once and will adjust after that if I play a game again and feel my first assessment was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameNurd wrote:
How many times do you play a game before you rate it? Once? Twice? Does it depend on how much you like (or hate) it?
Once - that will tell me if I want to play it twice. I revisit my rating each time I log a play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to play it again I'll wait a couple of plays but if I know I'm done with it then once is enough. After all the rating is purely about how often you want to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually once, but sometimes more if I found the game particularly bewildering. Of course, I revisit ratings and adjust them fairly often.

I just hate having the big blank space next a game, suggesting I haven't played it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Generally once, unless I feel the game was played so incorrectly that I feel rating it is unfair. I adjust my ratings with more plays or as other game push them up/down, but they usually end up staying in the same neighbourhood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually one.

Many of us on BGG are seasoned gamers and know what we like and don't like. Just like when you met someone for the first time your initial impression is 'normally' right.

I rate after one play, heck often times it may be my only play. So, why not rate things? I rarely change my ratings, but I do revisit them often.

On a rare occasion, I don't rate a game, because as we all know. Sometimes you get into a game at a table that just doesn't click. We all feel that sometimes and know the horrible experience you are having is because of the players and not the game.

Also, if I am not 'sure' about a game OR can see that the rating will climb of fall over time, I use a decimal point to make sure it stands out for me to revisit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Charles Stoddart (artwork from Pax Pamir 2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
I shoot for 3 or 4, and sometimes I'll compromise at 2, but thats it. I won't rate a game on just one play; I don't think I have a solid handle on what it has to offer me in terms of writing crib notes for later and assessing a value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can pretty clearly state that there is absolutely zero correlation between the number of plays I've given a game and when I decide to rate it.

Pete (has played some games hundreds of times and not rated them, and has rated some games after simply reading the rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poke450 wrote:
I rate after once and will adjust after that if I play a game again and feel my first assessment was wrong.

Yep, this exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taskin Illusion
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually give it at least 3 tries, with two different groups. Playing with some players might make it less fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One, and after logging a play, I see the rating and sometimes update it. Sometimes I wait, if I feel like I'm not sure about what I think of it.

I personally don't agree with the idea of rating a game you haven't played. If you do so, I think it is necessary to at least be transparent about that in your comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to rate them after one play, but many years ago, I decided to wait until 3 times, or preferably 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Anderson
msg tools
chockle wrote:
I used to rate them after one play, but many years ago, I decided to wait until 3 times, or preferably 5.

How can you filter out people who review games after 1 play? That seems crazy to me.

I can understand commenting on how the 1st play session went but to assign value to a game based on the intro session? My God...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually after 2. One play if I don't want to be near that game again OR if I had a great session of that game. I'll check & adjust ratings too if there were any future plays.

I think it doesn't matter how many plays you require to rate a game accurately because you can adjust the rating any time you want. Some people may think you need to play the game 10 times to rate the game, but out of all my games, only a few get more than 10 plays or even 5 plays for some longer games. It may take a decade to get my rating for a game if given that "5/10 plays before you rate" criterion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero. I rank purely on quantity of kickstarter stretch goals unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually rate a game after one play and update after more plays. I feel sometime you can tell, even after one play, if the game has legs for you. I knew right off Kanban was special for me and subsequent plays confirmed it. I think I've had three insta-10's and they are still on 10.

Some other games I feel I need more plays so I am a bit more cautious on the score and it may rise. Agricola potentially could be a 10 for me but I couldn't get a fuller grip on it and need to play it some more.

A slow and steady riser was Star Realms, even though it's relatively simple! There is a little more to it than meets the eye at first and I've played it so many times now inc. digital and always have fun with it.

My games tend to rise in rating. Epic card game will be rising shortly I imagine, there was quite a lot to take in on first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hastings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a set number, when I know in my heart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes after zero plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Based on the rating definitions here, I usually rate after the first play or so.

However, I tend to readjust my ratings up or down after a few plays as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rates may as well be after you played it a 100+ times, and the game can be like 20 years old even, you may even haven´t played it for the last 3-5 years and even more, but when you get the chance of playing it you jump on it and love it as much now as you did back when first time you played it. So therefore you easily give it a rating of both 8 and 9.
Some games are just classics and it sticks with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate (when I remember) based on my interest in playing the game. That will vary over time, if I've played a certain game a lot, my rating may drop until I feel interested in playing it again.

Of course, if I didn't like a game my rating would also be low, since I'd be less likely to want to play it again, but could go up if on a subsequent play I discovered some pleasures I missed on the previous attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.