Hide
12 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Villain: Disruption (with Card Art found Online) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Parker
msg tools
Disruption, my own cruel villain to battle my custom made hero the Traveler.

Once a Traveler himself, Disruption was turned by dark magic hidden in an ancient Tomb he discovered. Dark spirits were sealed into the book, but when this once brave Hero opened it, he was doomed. Now, the voices call out to him to conquer the Realms so that they can grow stronger and rule all in the mass Chaos that would be their will. Each time he travels to a new Plane, he brings pieces of the shattered Realms he came from and draws power from it. If allowed to gain enough power in this world, everything the Heroes have fought for will be for naught and the world will be forever changed to the bidding of Distortion.

As with the Traveler, here is a link to to the cards and PDF of Disruption.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-EiaC0ZkbStRzhPNDNx...

If interested, here are the links that go along side this villain:
the Hero who started the custom craze with my friends the Traveler-

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1647276/custom-hero-travele...

and the environment to go along side these two battling forces; the Crossing Realms-

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24656288#24656288

Villain: Disruption "Plane Corruptor"-
Start of Game: at the start of the game, put disruption’s villain character cards into play “plane corruptor” side up with 50 hp. reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until a essence card is revealed. put it in play then shuffle the deck.

Game Play: if disruption regains all his hp, the dimension is corrupted. game over. at the start of the villain turn, disruption regains h-1 hp. at the end of the villain’s turn, reveal the top card of the villain deck. if it is a one-shot, put it into play. otherwise, put it back on top. if there is no essence cards in play, flip disruption’s character cards.

Advanced: When Disruption flips to this side, he regains 10hp.

Disruption "Madman Unleashed"-
Game Play: increase damage dealt to and dealt by disruption by 1.
If disruption would be dealt damage by the environment, redirect it to the hero target with the highest hp. at the start of the villain’s turn,
disruption regains hp equal to the number of cards discarded from all players’ hands since the start of the villain’s last turn. whenever a hero uses a power, that hero’s player must discard a card from their hand. at the end of the villain’s turn if there are any essence cards in play, flip disruption’s villain character cards. if not, play the top card of the villain deck.

Advanced: reduce damage dealt to Disruption by 1.

One-shots (13)

2x Corrupt and Destroy: destroy H+1 non-character hero cards. any hero that did not have a card destroyed this way deals themselves H psychic damage.

2x One with the Dark: disruption regains 5 hp. play the top card of the villain deck.

3x Corrupting Wanderer: disruption deals each target 2 infernal damage. disruption regains x hp, where x is the number of targets dealt damage this way.

3x Losing Clarity: 1 player with at least 4 cards in their hand must discard their hand. then that player’s hero must deal themselves x psychic damage, where x equals the number of cards discarded this way. if no cards are discarded this way, disruption regains 4 hp.

3x Leaked Reality: reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until a essence card is revealed. put it into play. then shuffle the other revealed cards back into the villain deck.

Ongoing (2)

2x Turned Against: at the end of the villain turn, the hero with the highest hp deals the hero with the lowest hp 2 melee damage. all damage is irreducible.

Relic (3)

1x Shadowfall 10hp: reduce all hp recovery by 1. at the end of the villain turn, disruption deals each non-villain target 1 irreducible infernal damage.

1x Ring of the Void 10hp: increase infernal damage by 1. this card is not affected by “mirrored reality” at the end of the villain turn, disruption deals each non-villain target 1 infernal damage.

1x Corrupted Robe 10hp: reduce damage dealt by hero targets by 1. at the end of the villain turn, each villain target regains 1 hp.

Minion (3)

3x Corrupt Forces 6hp: at the end of the villain turn, this card deals the hero target with the highest hp H-1 Psychic damage. then play the top card of the environment deck.

Ongoing, Essence (4)

1x Mirrored Reality: treat the word “increase” on all cards
as “decrease” instead and treat the words “decrease” and “reduce” as “increase” on all cards instead.

1x Altered Reality: Change the type of all damage to infernal damage. if a hero target would be dealt damage, it cannot be redirected to a different target.

1x Distorted Reality: at the end of the villain turn, the environment deals 2 infernal damage to the hero with the highest hp and 2 infernal damage to the hero with the lowest hp. Disruption is immune to damage dealt by the environment.

1x Twisted Reality: Whenever a hero uses a power, they either deal themselves 1 psychic damage or that hero’s player discards a card.

Edits:
*Distortion's name was changed to Disruption to avoid conflitcs with the Realm of Discord environment*
-All essences are turned into ongoings
*Disruption front rules-changed hp regain at start to h-1
*Disruption back rules-removed destruction from destroying essences and Disruption's hp regain specifically targets hand discard (technically could count to discarding from deck)
-reduced hp on relics
-"Distorted Reality" instead of needing to destroy a card changed to either (still) discard a card or have the hero deal themselves 1 psychic
-"Altered Reality" instead changes all damage to infernal and stops heroes from redirecting damage
-"Losing Clarity" targets a player with 4 or more cards instead of 2, but if none can Disruption instead regains 4 hp instead of 2.
-"Corrupt and Destroy" destroys h+1 hero cards now (not including characters) and any hero that does not destroy a card deals themselves damage

Backside

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
Re: Custom Villain: Distortion (with Card Art found Online)
Corrupt and Destroy is /extremely/ powerful - in a 5 hero game, it'll hit 8 ongoings/equipment! Granted, there are several villains that can wipe all of both, but those cards are universally despised as un-fun anyway.
I don't know if Corrupting Wanderer is supposed to make him hit himself, might want to change the wording.
Losing Clarity probably need a redo as well - especially since there will literally never be no targets in play, as Distortion is a target!
After Losing Clarity, there's a "3x(effect)" with no card name, just a heads-up.
His relics have a lot of HP for such middling targets. They can definitely be kind of annoying, but they also have strange interactions. Shadowfall cancels the healing effect of the robe.
Mirrored Reality is interesting, but again tends to be more detrimental to Distortion. Heroes can just choose not to play buffs (or sacrifice them to various effects). Shadowfall suddenly benefits most hero teams due to increased healing. Corrupted Robe is now increasing damage dealt by heroes!
Altered Reality needs some clarification - how many heroes have to discard to destroy it?
Distorted Reality should probably be cleaned up to fit in with current wording (I don't have the cards in front of me so i'm not 100% sure, but check Volcanic Eruption in Insula Primalis)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Parker
msg tools
Thanks for the input.
Corrupt and destroy is supposed to be a less liked card but I can adjust it.
Losing Clarity there is actually a mistake there as I meant to say if no player can he regains the hp so I will fix that.
I do realize the relics do work oddly with one another, but it's actually considering the essences with those effects, especially Mirrored Reality which changes all the effects.
Mirrored Reality is indeed one of the different cards in the deck
I want it to be harmful and beneficial to the heroes. Yes people have the option not to play cards but they can't always expect when this essence would come into play.
I do agree looking at these essences that some wording needs to be fixed I uploaded the cards we last used with distortion and since I understood what they intended to do there was not an issue, but clearly the wording is an issue if I want to share this so I will take care of this when I have the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this looks like a rough fight. :/ The Essence cards especially sound really harsh, I would not look forward to those being in play.

One thing that occurs to me: the amount of HP he regains on his own card, plus the "destroy all but" on the flip side seem like numbers that should scale with H. Usually numbers that large tend to. Something like H HP, and all but H+1 cards? (Which admittedly could do nothing if it happens early enough/no one has anything in play.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Parker
msg tools
Yes I wanted a villain that was a real challenge and kept up the idea of a corrupted Traveler (hence health regain and the "portals")

I am considering right now to change some of the cards to H, like the general health regain and dial that down as well I think. He has many ways to heal so dialing down the general health regain should possibly make it a fairer fight and still keep it tough.

So do expect some changes with this and some rewording on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Might want to name him differently from the Distortion cards in Realm of Discord, which all say "When this card enters play, destroy all other Distortion cards".

You could also really use some line breaks if you're going to have so many effects per card. Also, I think you have too much text per card (which will probably become apparent with line breaks).

There isn't any defined thing in SotM called a "field"; it's generally "in play", and it's usually implied when destroying.

The deck seems to have some very strange internal synergy (or lack thereof) when he reduces his own HP gain or increases his own damage taken (as someone else mentioned).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Parker
msg tools
Well in all honesty, I wanted the deck to fight itself in a sense.
The chaos happening from Distortion I figured would cause conflicts with him, which help and hurt the players. It's different, but I kinda liked the idea of it. For example, the confusion between the Relics is actually something I did on purpose. The Robes were to represent what he used to be, which was a healer where as the Shadowfall is what has changed him. So while it can negate the healing effect of the Robe, I felt that it was an interesting interaction showing conflicting sides of a corrupted man. The relics will still always benefit him, even when Mirrored Reality changes the effects they cause.

I did realize after I made the villain that that environment had cards called "distortion" cards but I didn't think it would matter too much.

Ya as I said I need to reword some of this as a lot of the cards have a lot of text or words that don't translate to SOTM (some of it came from my MTG, such as field so I will change that) and having this feedback I felt would be good.

I will take a look at what I can do with this villain to limit the wording and maybe cut back on some of it so it's less words. Thank you everyone for the input so far, I will make changes when I get the chance and post further changes when I can. I'd also appreciate any more feedback anyone has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Interesting design, feels like a counterpart to the Traveller, and I like how the Corrupt Forces tie in with his environment deck. The Essences all seem wierd and cool too, especially Mirror.

Just skimming at the moment, but one thing that struck me was that he has a LOT of disruption, especially discard effects. Madman Unleashed makes you discard every turn (pretty much), Losing Clarity will get at least 2, probably more cards, Altered Reality can cause a lot of discarding (although also potentially some gain, I admit), Twisted Reality also sucks up a lot of cards.

I can see myself a few turns in, everyone has about 1 card in hand and Twisted Reality on the field. We can't use powers, because that would require discarding cards we don't have. We can't get rid of the Twisted Reality because we don't have enough cards to discard. We could in theory play a card, but we really want to save up to have enough cards in hard to get rid of Twisted Reality. Which also requires us to destroy 2 hero cards in play, which we may or may not have if there was a Corrupt and Destroy Recently. So my entire team just kinda of sits there.

Generally, a bit of discard/destroying hero cards/can't use powers/can't play cards/skip turn is okay, but when it comes turn after turn it's just frustrating not to be able to play your hero.

Also, on the Madman side, if has an "If-essence-is-destroyed" effect, but won't it never come up? He only flips to Madman if there are no essences. He might play a new one in his turn, but then he would flip back to Plane Corrupter at the end of his turn. As the Essences can only be destroyed at the start of the villain turn or during the hero turn, I don't think there's a window for them to be destroyed on the Madman side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Parker
msg tools
Looking at the cards, I'm definitely going to change the essences to also be ongoings and remove the destruction portions in the cards and just keep the effects. I am also going to revamp the effects themselves as well. Mirrored reality is definitely keeping it's effect as a enjoy having to deal with the effects it causes. I'm going to change twisted Reality so that players can play multiple cards a turn. Corrupt and destroy will be revamped to say destroy H+1 hero cards to dial down the destruction capability (hopefully). Distorted Reality will be changed so that heroes don't lose their powers when hit by environment. Altered reality will be changed so that it reveals 1 hero card and heroes cannot play cards with its keywords and lose the extra play.

I am going to change his constant hp regain to h-1 most likely and remove the text on the back about the essence destruction as it does rarely happen that it gets destroyed before the next turn. It was possible beforehand but I will change it as its unnecessary text.

Edit: Twisted Reality has been changed to either dealing themselves 1 psychic damage or discard a card. Hopefully it cuts the discard amount. Also Losing Clarity has been changed to having at least 4 cards but increased the amount of hp he regains.

Altered Reality has been revamped to a different effect. Instead, it changes all damage dealt to infernal damage and stops heroes from redirecting damage.

Also changing the name of the villain to "Disruption" just so it doesn't fall into the "Distortion" destruction effect in Realm of Discord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Parker
msg tools
Sorry to those trying to access the google drive link. I've fixed it's and Crossing Realm's link so that it is accessible for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Shelky
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Is there a card back for the Disruption or Crossing Realm's deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Parker
msg tools
I guess I never posted them. I'll see if I can upload them. I'm going to try to see if I can figure out a way to better the quality of the images of these cards so if I can do that I'll post better pictures along with the backs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.