BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Space Hulk a good game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've come across this game in my area where someone is selling it for $90, is this a good buy and as well is it a good game? I do like games with miniatures and this one has some. Any thoughts would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
rathmax wrote:
I've come across this game in my area where someone is selling it for $90, is this a good buy and as well is it a good game? I do like games with miniatures and this one has some. Any thoughts would be great.

What is it about games with miniatures that you like?

Space Hulk can be quite frustrating if you don't understand what it is and how it should be played. It is asymmetrical to start with (and only 2 player). The marine player cannot go in all guns blazing, and must develop some decent small-squad tactics (and stick to them). Conversely, the genestealer player, whilst having the obvious advantage in terms of numbers and ability to lose individuals, can easily throw that advantage away.

And the mission, for whatever side, must come before all else.

There's plenty of luck, which will turn bad at the worst possible time. And with or without luck you can find you have lost the game within the first handful of turns with no way to remedy this - it is not a forgiving game.

And finally it is a limited game - there are only so many scenarios in the box, so perhaps not something you could play to death for months.

I consider it a very good game indeed. And yes, US $90 is a damned good price (between print runs in the last few years it has gone for over US $250 as standard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I played it once and didn't like it. It's considered a classic by many, but I feel it's age shows and it's been replaced by many similar, better games since.

(In particular I enjoy Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game a lot more. It gets rid of the minis and focuses gameplay on the 'fun' aspects. Also, it's a great solo game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which edition of Space Hulk are you considering? The first edition had two expansions and a campaign book and White Dwarf magazine included an occasional new mission complete with new floor tiles. IIRC the 3rd edition sold out two days before any reached store shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's also a "Space Hulk Bible" around on the Internet somewhere. Someone collected all the optional rules, missions, expansions and so on into a handy PDF.

I have the iPad version and it's good fun. VERY asymmetrical and unforgiving which is part of the goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
The editions are fairly similar. The 3rd did sell out quickly, though only after reaching the stores.

It is definitely a classic. The combat is simple and straight-forward, and creates a complete asymmetry (stealers are fast, maneuverable, and overwhelming in close combat while marines have shooting). If you grew up on Eurogames (no independent probabilities, low player ineraction) or CDGs then its decisions will feel odd and random (they are not). So you will probably need to commit to a few plays.

Though there are limited missions each must be placed at least twice (once as Marines, once as Stealers) so you are looking at 15-30. If you pick up the third edition I would suggest reducing the first missions stealer reinforcement to 1 until you have the hang of the game (this is what it was in the first edition).

My main advice would be to pick up only if you are offered a bargain if you are at all unsure about games with an older aesthetic (more 'randomness', longer game play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint of 4th edition just happened and was on sale over this past Christmas.

You can order the game brand new from GW online for 125 shipped.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Hulk-2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.