David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. How do you integrate the new characters? Is this interesting/playable randomly?
2. In your opinion, what are the most interesting Barracks for each scenario?
3. Have you ever tried to play with the 6 characters each scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
judograal wrote:
1. How do you integrate the new characters? Is this interesting/playable randomly?

Do you really mean the characters or actually the avatars?

As for the characters, you have two new ones per movie, so it's quite obvious where they are supposed to go thematically. And the mixed Ripley you could use with any scenario.

The new avatars are a bit trickier since they seem to be designed particularly for the two new scenarios. Especially the clones I probably won't use often with scenarios other than Science Station Echidna. They do make a nice and thematically coherent team for a 4-5 player game, though, playing this scenario. The other new avatars seem to be more versatile thematically, so I can see myself using them with most scenarios.

2. I haven't played the expansion enough yet to have an opinion for your second question. So far I just picked more or less randomly one of the new characters from each movie when playing the new scenarios (just making sure I have sufficient cards with matching Class icons).

3. No. But I saw Danny Mandel encouraging players to give it a try in another thread, so I might do that in one of my next plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
Do you really mean the characters or actually the avatars?
Yes i'm talking about characters (Brett, Kane...)
Thank you for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Link W.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
i keep them by movie set, only character that is on it's own is ellen ripley since she's a multi-set, when i play solo i pick any 4 character or just use tablemonkey randomizer. it isn't viable to play with 6 IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I tried out Alien playing 4 avatars solo with all 6 characters (Brett and Kane joined Parker, Dallas, Lambert and Ripley) in the Barracks but without using the separate Ellen Ripley deck. It was also with the Hard Mode Location and Objective cards and with the Soldier drones.

It turned the usual cakewalk of Alien into a total nightmare. (And yes, this is how it should be!)

One of the problem was that Brett and Kane does not bring any healing abilities (Brett's uncommon gives Strike avoidance but that's not enough). In the whole game I saw (and bought) only two healing cards, so the mounting of strikes were quite problematic. Could be easier if the Medic avatar is in play but I chose four random avatars to play (Synthetic, Gunner, Executive and Mercenary came up).

I plan to do the same with the Aliens scenario tonight, but I expect it to be easier as Gorman has healing common cards.

Alien 3 could be problematic again as there is no healing with the new cards (except one rare), but as Alien 3 was an easy scenario in itself I welcome the difficulty going up.

Alien Resurrection also brings healing with Elgyn's commons, so it should be okay again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I was about to write a new post with this title
Why 6 character barracks in queen mother mode?

but decided to reply here instead, because I have some similar questions.

First, I have to mention I own the expansion since yesterday, but haven't played yet.
The rulebook says: queen mother mode is hard and you might want to use some of the possibilities to make the overall game easier. At the same time it says you should use a 6 character barracks in this mode instead of a 4 character barracks. Why is that? Because of the grab ability of queen mother leaving not enough characters in the barracks using normal rules?

Does 6 character barracks instead of 4 make the game harder because of less combo with yourself abilities or is that not the case? One answer here already suggests it does ...
Danny Mandel already encouraged people in another thread to try it in normal game. It would indeed shorten setup time before and after the game.

But if you would go for a 4 character barracks with the new characters: Which characters would you leave out first per scenario? I was thinking about the first movie and had a hard time. I think electric prod (Parker) is essential and Lambert can build a very nice card draw deck. It hurts to leave out Ripley's best card, but I would probably choose to leave out Ripley and Dallas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first Alien movie only Ripley has healing cards. If you leave her out than at least you should have a Medic avatar but that is probably not enough in itself. Especially if you play with the Hard Mode Locations and Objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
I was about to write a new post with this title
Why 6 character barracks in queen mother mode?

but decided to reply here instead, because I have some similar questions.

First, I have to mention I own the expansion since yesterday, but haven't played yet.
The rulebook says: queen mother mode is hard and you might want to use some of the possibilities to make the overall game easier. At the same time it says you should use a 6 character barracks in this mode instead of a 4 character barracks. Why is that? Because of the grab ability of queen mother leaving not enough characters in the barracks using normal rules?

Does 6 character barracks instead of 4 make the game harder because of less combo with yourself abilities or is that not the case? One answer here already suggests it does ...
Danny Mandel already encouraged people in another thread to try it in normal game. It would indeed shorten setup time before and after the game.

But if you would go for a 4 character barracks with the new characters: Which characters would you leave out first per scenario? I was thinking about the first movie and had a hard time. I think electric prod (Parker) is essential and Lambert can build a very nice card draw deck. It hurts to leave out Ripley's best card, but I would probably choose to leave out Ripley and Dallas.

Yes, the primary reason to use the bigger Barracks is because of the Queen's Grab ability.

The bigger Barracks does make the game tougher, but we factored that in while balancing the Queen Mother. (That said, playing against the Queen Mother is always really hard!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.