Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following on from my thread about the number of dice for 3 and 4 players (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1693977/does-4-player-game-...), I also wonder if the exploration tokens are unbalanced in favour of the 1st and 2nd players.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the game and so does my group, just think there may be some tweaks that could improve it.

We have found the 1st player always takes the scientist as it gives a guaranteed VP, and in the final tally our games have always been close. Also this is the only way to get an exploration token.

This has two impacts

1) It reduces decision making, as in our games at least we always grab the VP

2)given 1) above, it disadvantages players 3 and 4 as they are only likely to be the starting player once in a game.

So I thought about a couple of alternatives, which might be mix and match.

a) Add a grey dice option, where you scientist can move one space and explore (no crates to be moved)

b) At the start of the game place an exploration token in each zone of the map except the base camp, but including the South Pole (so each player should have 4 tokens). These represent science waiting to be done at specific locations. The scientist can only perform one exploration per zone and ONLY on the way to the pole, not the way back. The reason for this last rule is that scientists have to come home so there is no sense of taking a risk. However to collect all 4 tokens on the way to the pole requires no risk taking.

Both the above could be used together as well as increasing the number of dice.

I havent tested these variants, but will do, so any thoughts would be welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Davidse
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The downside to taking any of the d8s as your first action means that you're going to be rolling it every single time. So it becomes a trade-off between the benefit gained from that die and the increased risk of exposure.

And while the immediate effect of taking the scientist d8 first up would be that you should come out ahead on VP as you probably wouldn't lose more than three crates from that specific die, it could have an effect later on in the game. Not having those supplies means there's a greater chance of explorers becoming exhausted/dying, which is going to cost you 2 VP in the final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except if the first player grabs the exploration d8, there is still a d6 left for him when he has his second turn, as there are 4 of those, including the green die, so the risks are not substantially higher, and he's got a VP.

All I can say is in our games, that's the first die to be grabbed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.