Matthew Pinckard
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Reviews Board Games, Books, Etc.
mbmbmbmbmb
Detective James Kirkland, Badge #51-435, reporting for duty for the Commonville Police Department.

Journal Entry: May 31st.

It's been nearly 5 1/2 years since I left the SWAT crew...having a child has a way of changing your perspective on things. I'm not as energetic, physically dominating, and strong-willed as I used to be. I hung up that bullet proof vest and protective shield, took down the armor and put on a new way of life- the detective's hat. It's not a one size fits all kind of hat, but it fits me well. I'm a felt kind of man, as is.

I always grew up enjoying the Sherlock Holmes books, and if I can get confessional for a moment, even enjoyed a Nancy Drew here or there. As I grew into the teenage years, Alfred Hitchcock's mystery and horror films inspired and terrified me. Whatever the title or consumption platform, I've always gritted my teeth with eagerness to discover a solution to the unknown.

But I've never imagined myself to be good enough at what I do to be considered for such a high profile case. But here I am, basking in the glow of the potential of 15 minutes of fame.

Ole and I were classmates many years ago, and though we weren't close friends, we were always friendly acquaintances. He's always had a chutzpah and sly sort of humor that I have quietly admired- a calm strength that is unwilling to let justice take "No" from an answer, regardless of who is breathing down his back. He did me and Yin the favor of getting me early clearance to rescind my SWAT duties in preparation for the birth of our daughter Autumn- So I guess that, though I begrudged it, when I got the request from Ole to serve on the new task force for Commonville, I knew that I owed him one anyways.

Detective life has been kind to me- and thanks to Ole I haven't had to deal with the major cases- I usually have handled the "lower profile" stuff. Even the murders that I handled were more "low risk" level cases. Kept me from spending inordinate hours of time away from Autumn and Yin, after all.

The timing couldn't be worse though. Autumn leaves for Kindergarten in August, so these are my last few months at home with her before life changes for us forever. Oh well- gotta bite this one since duty calls. At least Ole didn't ask Yin to be on this task force. He knows that it would be far too unbearable for Autumn to grow up without both of her parents. It's tough enough as is with both of us working on the force- so I appreciate them going out of their way to make sure our family is taken care of.

My intuition tells me this is going to be a rough month. Apparently we only have 3 weeks to solve this case. Media is pressing in on us, and the crime rates are sure to be higher with school out for the summer. Gotta risk it for the biscuit, I suppose.

Journal Entry: June 1st

I was assigned a partner today. "Inspector Zuhra Kinney, Badge #52-499." She seems to be pretty good at handling emergencies- at least her records seem to indicate so. I think our investigative and inspecting abilities should work well for figuring out who murdered Zoe. I spoke with Alex, the head of SWAT, today, and he seems to be eager to help with whatever support he can give to me during the next three weeks. So I imagine that whatever emergencies arise won't be our biggest problem. My concern is going through with arrests- I'm a sleuth, and I'm not in my physical prime. No offense to Zuhra, but she doesn't have an extensive arresting method either. Here's hoping for the best.

Journal Entry: June 7th

It's been an exhausting week. First couple of days were pretty protocol- just a few incidents around town, got to get my feet wet driving around in the unmarked car. I haven't had to use that thing in a few years- rides pretty rough! It's a physical reminder to me of the severity of this case and helps me to psychologically prepare myself every morning. One of the alleged suspect is a notoriously sought after serial killer in multiple states, so apprehending this guy (who's to say it's a guy though?) would be a massive accomplishment for our Department and help with recruiting. I mean- let's be honest, we're actually pretty short staffed right now. If it wasn't for Ole, I would have been out on the streets doing normal police work years ago.

Sometimes this town reminds me of that fictional place called Gotham in the Batman stories. So many of our buildings could use grime clean up and power washing. And we are on the verge of inviting Gangs all over town. We will start looking like Los Angeles soon before you know it.

Just as I was getting comfortable, things started getting out of hand. We had to pull our efforts away from investigating and handle all sorts of street punks and emergencies. I already called in Alex and the SWAT crew a couple of times- they were pristine and timely in their help, but I feel pressed to take greater care blowing the trumpet.

Journal Entry: June 8th

My partner Zuhra got transferred. Apparently she had been wanting the transfer for some time. She never spoke to me about it, but rumors have that she wanted to be closer to her fiancee Derick who works in the secretarial department. We had a couple of close calls dealing with some emergencies, so I think she freaked out. My new partner is "Detective Joe Kinney, Badge #51-437." Joe's her brother, so I'm guessing he's the only person who was willing to jump into this case and take her spot on the Task Force.

Joe seems to be just as good at Zuhra at everything she did. But Joe is committed to his work on a whole other level- sometimes he works so hard I can't imagine how many times he prevents emergencies before they even happen.

Investigative work has been few and far between. I've spent a lot of time around the Morgue, found out a little about the body, but I need to get more facts in check before moving on to interview witnesses. Hopefully there aren't more street punks or emergencies to hold me up.

Journal Entry: June 11th

Things have felt more desperate. The crime rate has grown exponentially over our city in the last few weeks. I know it has to do with the increased influx of criminals, in addition to everyday crimes and Booth workers threatening suicide, like normal. It almost feels like we have an emergency breaking out on every corner on the West side of town. Joe and I have started to realize that we can't fix every situation. At times I want to be everyone's Savior, but I realize that I can't. I should have known- I love the Flash, Green Arrow, Batman, Superman...each of these heroes has had to come to grips with the fact that they can't save everyone. Joe and I realize that we must keep our eyes focused on the task at hand. We've decided that we are going to greatly increase our investigative efforts. I'm beginning to think that this murderer must be the ringleader over a larger "para" gang organization- otherwise, why the great spike in crime? His homies must be trying to distract us so that they can plan his escape from town right under our noses. We've got all units on alert 24/7. It's almost war out here. I've never seen a town transform so darkly in a matter of days. We're putting all our eggs in one biscuit- confirm the murderer, then we can find the murderer and lock this thing up and clean up the town. With the ring leader out of way, it shouldn't be a problem to clear up his or her goons in no time.

Journal Entry: June 13th

I haven't been able to sleep the last few nights. My collar reeks of spilled Rum, and my car is full of chip bags. There is a competitive drive pushing me to figure this thing out. This town is on the brink of collapse, but Joe and I are determined that finding the murderer is the way to go. I spent all of my efforts Interviewing Witnesses the last few days- thankfully it was a fairly quick process and I got to knock on a lot of doors in a few days.

Joe had a rough going at one of the local warehouses. Just as a theft was taken care of, a man attacked someone there. Thankfully the issue was resolved and Joe was able to solve his work. Definitely was a distraction tactic from the murderer's crew. Sources said that the murder weapon was here, so we searched the place up and down and found it.

I'm heading to search crime scene evidence at the parking lot near the murder scene today. I'm beginning to think that the murderer will reveal his face any day now. These gang leaders usually show themselves after awhile- either as a symbol of pride, or because we finally were able to flush them out.

Journal Entry: June 14th

We did it. I can't believe it, but we did it. After 10 days of little to no evidence, the past 4 days we struggled valiantly, but we finally gathered all of the intel we needed. We are going to bust this guy for a very, very long time. He may never leave the clanker, to be honest. The Mayor is thoroughly pleased- he's letting Joe and I rest a bit before handling public relations as we enter the (hopefully soon) trial process. So as a reward he allowed a few other guys to handle the arrest. It's funny how this all worked out- I just needed to be reminded that you can't solve every problem, and then Joe and I were able to focus on what mattered most in that moment- busting this "para-gang" leader for murder. I hope Joe and I get to handle more cases together in the future- his commitment to his work has really encouraged and challenged me.

All I know is that I think my low level detective days may be over. I think it's time for a promotion. Summer's been good to me and Yin, but Autumn will be much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up!

Thanks for taking the time to do this!!!

I posted a link to this in our HEADLINES thread.

over here...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1085988/headlines-you-write...

If you get in the mood to do this again, feel free to post over there if you want.

Thanks again!

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple

PS -- Trivia: do you know who the Real Life Cop is who Kirkland is modeled after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Malkowski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this outstanding session report for one of my favorite games. Your session report proves that this game is highly thematic. I recently introduced this game to my cousin, and he was talking about things that occurred during our session two weeks later!

Thanks again for a fine session report and I will be looking forward to any that you might produce in the future.

Regards,
Keith Malkowski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:

PS -- Trivia: do you know who the Real Life Cop is who Kirkland is modeled after?

Initials BB coolwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrodd wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:

Initials BB coolwhistle

That is correct!

that's his real name.

Do you (or anyone) know his "industry name" (he's also famous in the world of boardgames)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
[q="lordrodd"][q="Common Man Games"]
Do you (or anyone) know his "industry name" (he's also famous in the world of boardgames)

The Chief

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct again!

(not surprised that you knew that since you are one too!)

wait...

I have one more trivia question while we're at it.

Do you know what else he is famous for (hint: it's in a totally different industry -- not law enforcement nor tabletop)

(this is a hard question, so good luck)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it have to do with drinking? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrodd wrote:
Would it have to do with drinking? cool

Yes my good friend, and you have passed all of our trivia tests today and may move to the front of the class!

https://www.google.com/search?q=bart+brunscheen+whiskey&espv...

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Pinckard
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Reviews Board Games, Books, Etc.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the wonderful compliments! That's funny that it is the Chief- I've seen a number of his videos and I knew he mentioned in his review of Police Precinct about being in law enforcement. Look forward to intriguing play seasons to come. I'll have to be courageous to do write ups for all the losses as wellcry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Welcome Mat wrote:
Thanks for all the wonderful compliments! That's funny that it is the Chief- I've seen a number of his videos and I knew he mentioned in his review of Police Precinct about being in law enforcement. Look forward to intriguing play seasons to come. I'll have to be courageous to do write ups for all the losses as wellcry

I look forward to reading more of them. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.