Subject: You're going to try this. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you hum, the sound comes through your nose.
You can't hum with your nose pinched shut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I can blow raspberries, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you wearing a zippered jacket, or have one within reach right now?
Technically this would work with a short zipper, say the fly of your pants, but longer is better...

If you pull down a long zipper quickly, it makes a sound at a certain pitch. Then when you pull up your zipper quickly it obviously also makes a sound at a certain pitch.

Speed makes a difference but, if you can sort-of closely approximate the same pulling speed in each different direction:

Poll
1. Don't test it yet. Which direction do you think has a higher pitch?
Pulling down has a higher pitch than up
Pulling up has a higher pitch than down
They will both sound the about the same
2. Perhaps you will try this now. Were you right?
Possibly, but I did not test it, so nyah-nyah!
Yes, my guess was correct.
No, my guess was opposite.
No, my guess was completely wrong.
In space, no one can hear you scream.
      30 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now enrolled in the BGG "Smartology" PhD program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
When you hum, the sound comes through your nose.

I just tried and popped out an eyeball . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Speed makes a difference but, if you can sort-of closely approximate the same pulling speed in each different direction:

My jacket is aaaaaallll the way over there on the other side of my cubicle so I can't test this out right now, but wouldn't the pitch be the same and any difference in sound simple be due to the doppler effect (wait, that's not how science works....) change in pitch be due to the doppler effect, so pulling up would produce a "higher", rising, pitch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to include a safety warning.

Don't try this at home!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to include a safety warning.

Don't try this at home!

Everything crawled up inside me.

Eesch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Sure I can. It doesn't last long and I'm not sure anyone can hear it but me, but it's still a hum.

Of course, this may be one of my super powers. Who do I see about upgrading it to something like X-ray vision?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Who do I see about upgrading it to something like X-ray vision?

You want to give everyone you look at cancer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

Are you calling Superman a carcinogen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

Are you calling Superman a carcinogen?

I don't think he's been adequately tested by the FDA yet so we can't really rule him out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Sure I can. It doesn't last long and I'm not sure anyone can hear it but me, but it's still a hum.

Of course, this may be one of my super powers. Who do I see about upgrading it to something like X-ray vision?

Same here. This thread is not to be trusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Larry Levy wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Yeah, you can totally hum with your nostrils pinched shut; just open your mouth, and switch the airpath to your mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Technically this would work with a short zipper, say the fly of your pants, but longer is better...

If you pull down a long zipper quickly, it makes a sound at a certain pitch. Then when you pull up your zipper quickly it obviously also makes a sound at a certain pitch.

Poll
      30 answers
Poll created by MABBY

This really requires a safety warning. surprisegulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sklar wrote:
My jacket is aaaaaallll the way over there on the other side of my cubicle so I can't test this out right now, but wouldn't the pitch be the same and any difference in sound simple be due to the doppler effect (wait, that's not how science works....) change in pitch be due to the doppler effect, so pulling up would produce a "higher", rising, pitch?

Pulling up closes the zipper teeth together. Pulling down opens the teeth and probably allows some air to flow outward...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sklar wrote:
MABBY wrote:

The Doppler Effect is caused by distance and direction the sound travels. I imagine the zipper tonal quality is impacted by the length of the vibrating part of the zipper, i.e. the unzippered part. Zipping up shortened the loose part, causing a higher pitch, zipping down lengthens the loose part producing a lower tone.

Not unlike a guitar string, short = high note, long = low note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
Lord_Prussian wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Poll
      30 answers
Poll created by MABBY

This really requires a safety warning. surprisegulp

And a youtube video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
The Doppler Effect is caused by distance and direction the sound travels. I imagine the zipper tonal quality is impacted by the length of the vibrating part of the zipper, i.e. the unzippered part. Zipping up shortened the loose part, causing a higher pitch, zipping down lengthens the loose part producing a lower tone.

Not unlike a guitar string, short = high note, long = low note.

I think that this requires further study. I would think that the sound of a zipper comes from the mechanical action of the slider contacting the teeth, not so much the vibration from the string of teeth.

Time for science!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I just tried laying my coat flat on my desk and moving the slider “up” and “down” (sort of “from side to side”, rather than up and down, because the jacket is flat) in two ways:
1) On just one side of the teeth, to see what difference direction makes
2) On both sets of teeth (so actually fastening and opening the zipper), to see what difference length of the loose part makes

One set of teeth (zipper remains “open”)
There is no discernable difference in pitch when zipping towards the left (“top”) or right (“bottom”), but in both cases the pitch does rise as the slider approaches my position at the center of the strip of teeth, suggesting that the Doppler effect is responsible for the change in sound.

Both sets of teeth (fastening and undoing the zipper)
The seems to be some change in pitch, although I’m no bat and can’t really be sure what sound is higher. They’re pretty similar, but the sound does seem to get higher as the loose portion gets shorter, confirming Dwayne’s theory that the sound is behaving similar to that of a guitar string (short/zipping up = high note, long/zipping down = low note).

Conclusions: Which direction produces a higher frequency?
There seems to be a combination of the Doppler effect and guitar string-like behaviour where pitch rises as the amount of slack or length of string decreases. Both of these phenomena would cause the pitch to increase as one zips up.
• Zipping up reduces the length of slack, causing a rising higher note (like a short guitar string)
• The sound originates from the location of the slider and therefore rises as one zips up and the slider moves towards one’s ears (Doppler effect).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zippers are a colony of semi-sentient creatures from the YKK galaxy. They express a low pitched groan when separated from their loved ones. They emit a higher pitched squeal of excitement when they are reunited. The quicker they are separated or reunited increases the volume of their cries/cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WyantJM wrote:
Zippers are a colony of semi-sentient creatures from the YKK galaxy. They express a low pitched groan when separated from their loved ones. They emit a higher pitched squeal of excitement when they are reunited. The quicker they are separated or reunited increases the volume of their cries/cheers.

Makes sense to me. I declare this issue resolved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Yeah, you can totally hum with your nostrils pinched shut; just open your mouth, and switch the airpath to your mouth.

Humming, by traditional definition, is to sing with the mouth closed. Still possible by switching the airpath. Your cheeks will puff up to max capacity pretty quickly though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.