Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could advance a leader and team/squad into a hex, opponent plays "Mines" and you get an Infiltration Event on your Defense roll and a roll and random hex that would let you put a leader in the hex that's about to have the melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or similar to above, and a Blaze spreads to a random hex next to the Melee Hex that displaces an Active Leader into the Melee hex.

Or a Blaze causes an enemy hex to displace units into the Active players hex, and the Active player had two leaders in the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or there is a time trigger, and reinforcements can be placed in the melee hex (happened to me in my last f2f game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
NoMasOvejas wrote:
Or there is a time trigger, and reinforcements can be placed in the melee hex (happened to me in my last f2f game).

I don't think that would work because in order to hit the Time Trigger, you'd have to draw the last card or pull a Time Trigger for the Melee, at which point adding another leader would not affect the current melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if the Time Trigger was drawn as a result of a Mine attack as the Attacker advanced into Melee it could happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
But if the Time Trigger was drawn as a result of a Mine attack as the Attacker advanced into Melee it could happen.

Oh, true. I guess the point being you need something that's going to cause a roll before the melee strength is calculated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a mine attack results in placement of a hero or field promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:

Many players, veteran and noob, do not realize that any melee caused by any Trigger must be fully resolved before any other melees caused by the current Order. This includes those in the same hex of both varieties.

Can you clarify what you mean here by 'both varieties' are you suggesting there are two melees in the hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Does hiding the rules and just claiming that this is how it works count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this one...current player routs himself and has two broken leaders that end up routing to the same space with the enemy. Not a good day for the current player (if this were to happen) as broken leaders are not very good in melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the active player could draw a "walking wounded' event and choose an enemy unit from the casualty track in the hopes the random hex draw will allow him to place the chosen troop in a hex containing some of his own, which could already have 2 leaders in it.

It's definitely a long shot and not very glamorous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Christopher Hills the most. It is the most masochistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
How about this one...current player routs himself and has two broken leaders that end up routing to the same space with the enemy. Not a good day for the current player (if this were to happen) as broken leaders are not very good in melee.

Maybe after the broken routed leader moved, a medic trigger event could rally him ?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With Stalingrad extension melee are result in the beginninf of Axis player turns , so russian can move "lots" of leaders in a "melee" hex....

no ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Routing units die when they must enter an enemy hex.

Five players gave a 'Thumbs Up' to this response btw. Shocking.

Kids today! -- What can you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
bishuk wrote:
Gunderian007 wrote:

Many players, veteran and noob, do not realize that any melee caused by any Trigger must be fully resolved before any other melees caused by the current Order. This includes those in the same hex of both varieties.

Can you clarify what you mean here by 'both varieties' are you suggesting there are two melees in the hex?

Yes, that is the essence of it.

When additional units arrive in a melee hex as a result of a trigger, of which all Time steps are, then the newly arriving units must all be resolved first, then the original friendly units will resolve versus surviving enemy units.

I don't believe that is correct, all of the units in the melee hex are totalled for melee strength.

O16.4.1.Melee.Strength
After both players have played and resolved any Ambush Actions [A25], each adds up the current FP of each of his remaining units – not Weapons – in the Melee hex, then adds +1 for each of those units with a boxed FP to arrive at his “Melee FP”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:

Yes, another example of me being the buffoon that I am. In my defense, I was trying to think of a situation that would only happen on a rare occasion, but should have consulted the rules before spouting off my ignorance.

Thanks, Paul for setting me straight once again.

Thanks too to those who gave me a thumbs up anyway. I am always 'shocked' to receive thumbs up for anything I write here at BGG, right or wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bishuk wrote:
Gunderian007 wrote:
bishuk wrote:
Gunderian007 wrote:

Yes, that is the essence of it.

When additional units arrive in a melee hex as a result of a trigger, of which all Time steps are, then the newly arriving units must all be resolved first, then the original friendly units will resolve versus surviving enemy units.

I don't believe that is correct, all of the units in the melee hex are totalled for melee strength.

O16.4.1.Melee.Strength
After both players have played and resolved any Ambush Actions [A25], each adds up the current FP of each of his remaining units – not Weapons – in the Melee hex, then adds +1 for each of those units with a boxed FP to arrive at his “Melee FP”.

Ok, here I go again probably showing off my blatant stupidity, but I support Steve in this. I think any units entering the melee hex before the melee resolution roll would participate in the current melee. If they arrived after the die roll (as a result of a die trigger during the melee roll) then another melee could occur depending on which side won. If, as the result of a die trigger, a unit arrives in a different hex with enemy units causes another melee, then that melee would indeed be resolved first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
My hopes this thread would be purely theoretical, not devolving into rules, were probably unrealistic.

shake

Yah. You planted a decision tree and everybody watered it. laugh

Gunderian007 wrote:
Obviously, this is complicated.

Certainly. I do not find it shocking if many players are not resolving all of their melee complexities accurately; I don't, but I know somewhere I can go to get good information (hey, thanks!).thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:

Thanks too to those who gave me a thumbs up anyway. I am always 'shocked' to receive thumbs up for anything I write here at BGG, right or wrong.

I just went and thumbed it just because! :)

andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:

Dang, don't ruin a good story by telling us the facts, Paul!!!cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.