Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Question on finding a publisher rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McKenzie
msg tools
I've read conflicting opinions, both seeming to be reputable sources. I'm seeking an answer from those who have gotten a game published by another company (not self-published).

I've read that when pitching your game, you need to have a high quality prototype. I've also read that your prototype only needs to be high quality in that it functions as intended and is playable from the box, since design choices will likely change anyway. Which is true? What's the extent of perfection a publisher is looking for in your prototype? (I'm not talking playability and functionality as these clearly need to be pristine if you're pitching it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris, yours is a good question.

You do not need to have a high-quality prototype to pitch a game to a publisher -- you need a well-developed (i.e.: heavily playtested) game*.

Having a high-quality prototype will probably help your pitch a little bit, but an underdeveloped game is a non-starter.

As a bonus, a high-quality prototype may help you get more people to playtest your game at events (before you start pitching to publishers) -- but it's also not a requirement.

* at least until you're well-established; I know of several cases of designers having games accepted which still needed a fair amount of work -- but they had the track record to prove they could get it done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had games published by sending a pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.