Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some questions on the Formation Morale roll table:

1) when does a unit roll on the Formation Morale roll table? Is it after a sp loss, or only on a sp loss in close combat?

2) does that roll on the Formation Morale table only affect that single rolling unit, or does it affect the whole Brigade/ Group?

3) if it affects the entire Brigade/ Group, does that apply if other units in that Brigade/Group are in different areas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean SOL
France
BELBERAUD
flag msg tools
Jared,
This point of rule is a little ambiguous and there is a "rule amendment" in the file part in BGG.
1) The test morale is done after each SP loss resulting from a fire (not only in "close combat") and before treatment of the following fire. There's a test for each unit affected by losses (if 3 losses affect 2 units, there are 2 tests).
2) Morale test affect all the entire Brigade/Group, but only for the units in the same area than the unit suffering SP loss (10.5 : "each unit belonging to the same brigade in the target area" / the same for boers in 9.4). And this is also right for the leader (survival and morale): test only if he is in this area.
3) I confess i 've a little doubt about the "testing unit" in the modifiers list for this morale test. It's not possible that this concerns the unit affected by the SP loss : so it concerns all the units of the same brigade in the area. But why distinguish the 2 modifiers relative to area type (drift, Colenso, etc) since all the units are in the same area ??.
Geoffrey could perhaps clear this point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks again Jean. It feels like you and I are the only ones playing this very good game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godfrey Bailey
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This topic needs further amendment. 9.4 Boer Morale and 10.5 British morale have already been amended but they have now been updated as follows:

AMENDMENT 9.4 Boer Morale: “For each commando in the target area that suffers SP losses (testing unit), roll two dice, calculate unit’s group morale modifiers (cumulative) and refer to the Formation Morale Table. “

AMENDMENT 10.5 British Morale: “For each battalion or regiment in the target area that suffers SP losses (testing unit), roll two dice, calculate unit’s brigade and location morale modifiers (cumulative) and refer to the Formation Morale Table.“

Jean, you said:

Quote:
And this is also right for the leader (survival and morale): test only if he is in this area.

This is incorrect because leader 'morale' is checked even if he is not in the same area as where hits were taken. See 10.4 British leaders. Same area is not specified.

G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
gbailey wrote:
Hi,

This topic needs further amendment. 9.4 Boer Morale and 10.5 British morale have already been amended but they have now been updated as follows:

AMENDMENT 9.4 Boer Morale: “For each commando in the target area that suffers SP losses (testing unit), roll two dice, calculate unit’s group morale modifiers (cumulative) and refer to the Formation Morale Table. “

AMENDMENT 10.5 British Morale: “For each battalion or regiment in the target area that suffers SP losses (testing unit), roll two dice, calculate unit’s brigade and location morale modifiers (cumulative) and refer to the Formation Morale Table.“

Jean, you said:

Quote:
And this is also right for the leader (survival and morale): test only if he is in this area.

This is incorrect because leader 'morale' is checked even if he is not in the same area as where hits were taken. See 10.4 British leaders. Same area is not specified.

G.

Thanks for the clarifications. Will these be uploaded to the files as well? Note: maybe just have one file of corrections/clarifications instead of two or three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These updates are very timely Godfrey, as I've just set up my second game. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will be asking BGG to update all changes into a single file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:
I will be asking BGG to update all changes into a single file

Yes! ...that's good news...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean SOL
France
BELBERAUD
flag msg tools
Hi Godfrey,
Thanks for your clarification on these points, where i was wrong on the leader morale and the testing unit..
After about 10 plays and your amendments i think i'm now ready to fully enjoy with this great solitary game !
Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Amoore
South Africa
Benoni
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So will a single/lone unit in an area (e.g. Boer) that suffers an SP loss also roll on the Formation Morale table....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.