Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I recently found a copy of Scorched Earth (GDW, 1987) at a local book store. The maps and countersheets were intact (except for about 30 counters).

However, everything else including the rulebook, the unit identification/counter format chart, the turn record chart, the Soviet/1942 setup chart, the Axis/1942 setup chart, the Europa Master Display chart, the Special Dates/Sequence of Play list, the Europa legend, and the map guide was missing.

After speaking with the store clerk, I learned that an entire game collection was brought in for sale since its owner had died. As a result, the Europa games were particularly disheveled with missing rules and charts. My guess is that the family just wanted to clear out the games and never looked for the binders or folders that held the rules and related materials.

My goal is to "restore" this game as to make it a playable game again and present it to my long-time gamer friend since it is his "grail" game and he already has Fire In The East. Does anybody know where or how to get these components? I did not see any files on the BGG system, but if you know of external websites or sources, I would appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Banta
United States
Coffeyville
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try a web site www.generalstab.org I know they have scans of all the counter sheets and they have some of the charts for some of the Eroupa games. Plus I think I remember links to other Europa sites. I hope this helps a little mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

'John M. Astell' john.m.astell@verizon.net [classiceuropa] <classiceuropa@yahoogroups.com>

12/19/16 at 8:03 AM

To

classiceuropa@yahoogroups.com

Message body

Bill J, check out the info below from a recent email from John Astel about Classic Europa resources, which would include Scorched Earth.

tml

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We have had a number of people join Classic Europa recently, welcome!

Here are some resources for the groups:

http://classiceuropa.org/ A Classic Europa website with some articles, scenarios, and designer notes.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/classiceuropa/info This is the Yahoo web site for the Classic Europa mailing list. It has an archive of the messages set to the mailing list, plus Files and Photos sections where members can post relevant material. You have to have a Yahoo membership to use this site, which you can create using Yahoo. Please note that Yahoo membership and any issues in using the site is controlled by Yahoo, not Classic Europa.

The rules and guidelines for using the Classic Europa mailing list can be seen at:

http://classiceuropa.org/ce_group.html

It’s pretty simple: good behavior, no insults, and staying on topic. Here’s the core:

What is on topic:
•Posts on the play of the Classic Europa games.
•Posts on enhancing Classic Europa games, such as new scenarios, house rules, map modifications or additions, alternate history material, etc.
•Commentary on the Classic Europa games.
•Posts on WW2 history and closely related topics (such as events in the immediate pre-war period), if they relate in some reasonable fashion to the Classic Europa games.
•Posts about the list, Classic Europa, the members, opponents wanted for Classic Europa games, etc.

What is off topic: Essentially, everything else.

Classic Europa Games

Game Designers' Workshop (GDW)

These are the "original" or "first edition" Europa games:
•Drang Nach Osten (DNO)
•Unentschieden (UNT)
•Narvik
•Their Finest Hour (TFH)

GDW subsequently upgraded the series and did "second generation" or "second edition" Europa games:
•Fire in the East (FITE)
•Scorched Earth (SE)
•Fall of France (FOF)
•2nd edition Their Finest Hour (TFH)
•Case White (CW)
•2nd edition Narvik
•Marita-Merkur (MM)
•Spain and Portugal (S&P)
•Western Desert (WD)
•The Near East (TNE)
•Torch

Game Research/Design (GRD)

GRD at first continued the second generation format of GDW:
•The Urals

GRD then upgraded the series as the "Collectors' Edition" Europa games:
•Balkan Front (BF)
•First to Fight (FTF)
•A Winter War (AWW)
•Second Front (SF)
•For Whom the Bell Tolls (FWTBT)
•War in the Desert (WITD)
•Storm over Scandinavia (SOS)

Other Classic Europa Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: Found Scorched Earth! / but missing partsj
Thank you for the replies. I think I can recreate the counters although I will need some info on the back sides of a few of them. The real sticking point is the printed texts and charts. The Yahoo join group tool does not seem to be working so I sent a few emails to the sources mentioned above. Are there scans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thank you everybody - and particularly to Chris - whose assistance was invaluable. I was able to recreate all of the rules and charts which were missing along with the 62 counters (including some double sided ones). This copy of SE that I found has been fully restored and is now playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what happens to wargames after we die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
This is what happens to wargames after we die

... they live again, with help from our friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.