Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am puzzling over the meaning of this power. It looks as if the person who chose this power during the Palace Phase can use it during the Action Phase. But in which of the following ways?

a) on his turn he can select a card (as normal) plus also use the action of a selected worker. ie he recruits an engineer in the second tier, pays the required one talent, irrigates and takes 2 prestige points. Then he decides to use his Craft power and selects a peasant for free...

b) he selects a character for free using his Craft power and cannot select another character as a regular turn in addition to his palace power until his turn comes around again.

Also, if using the craft power do you select a character card (thus keeping it away from another player) or do you simply perform the associated actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Murray
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,
Yes I puzzled over the same issue you have till I concluded that it must mean that: the player who chose the Craft power would choose a character and perform the associated action before anyone else would chose a character. So at the beginning of Phase ll [Players Actions] the Craft winner simply chooses a character and does the action NOT picking a card. A free recruiting action; as they state "This recruitment is free".

Not even sure this is correct but seems slightly more logical than other interpretations I considered. A 'free recruitment' might also mean that you don't have to pay a talent if someone already picked a character from that group of cards but then that did not make sense when they state 'before the next player plays' ...........so no one would have picked from any groups yet and the action would have been 'free' anyway.
George
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeandpeggy wrote:
Tom,
Yes I puzzled over the same issue you have till I concluded that it must mean that: the player who chose the Craft power would choose a character and perform the associated action before anyone else would chose a character. So at the beginning of Phase ll [Players Actions] the Craft winner simply chooses a character and does the action NOT picking a card. A free recruiting action; as they state "This recruitment is free".

We played this way also. However, we found this power was far and away the most attractive of the four available. To the point that no other power was selected by the first chooser throughout the game. The second chooser always went for the end of round procession cube in a monastery. That left a choice of the same two every time for the third chooser.

I'm concerned that the Palace is simply a money sink with no real choices, and that you simply have to pay to compete to get that free action which is so powerful, and I think I might prefer the base game.

Other views?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.