Subject: First League Play - Managing a Chaos Team rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, anyone have any pointers for navigating a Chaos Chosen team through the craziness of a league season?

I am using this lineup:

6 Beastmen
4 Chaos Chosen
1 Minotaur
1 Team Re-Roll

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swap the Minotaur for a Beastman and add 2 team re-rolls. Without block, dodge, or sure hands, you're going to need those re-rolls or you'll be completely at the mercy of the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, low rerolls is a killer...

If you want to keep the Minotaur, look at switching out a warrior or two for linemen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
wells101 wrote:
So, anyone have any pointers for navigating a Chaos Chosen team through the craziness of a league season?

I am using this lineup:

6 Beastmen
4 Chaos Chosen
1 Minotaur
1 Team Re-Roll

Thanks!

First thing to note is that Blood Bowl is not a balanced game, All rosters are not the same. Chaos is lower tier team that is more challenging to play. The roster you have chosen tells me you are probably a new coach in general so you are in for pretty rough sledding starting with Chaos as Orcs, Dwarves, and Undead are all better bashy teams initially. Also with the Pile On nerf, the Claw-Mighty Blow-Pile One combo is not as effective.

I would look at

http://bbtactics.com/tv1000-chaos-starting-roster/

for info about starting rosters.

Chaos starts with no ball handling skills and no Block. 1 Reroll is just a recipe to lose every game with those initial skills. For a standard start of drive offensive turn 3 2dice Line of Scrimage Blocks, 1 2 dice blitz and picking up the ball you only have a 42% of not having needed a reroll to avoid a turnover. So more than half the time you would have burned your only reroll for the half in the first turn.

3 Rerolls are probably the minimum for this team as you will probably use one every time you pick up the ball and every few turns just from blocking.

I would ditch the Minotaur initially. As Loner wild animals they are hard to move around the pitch without chancing your blitz and such. I think 4 Chaos Warriors, 7 Beastmen, and 3 Rerolls is the best starting roster. The new MVP rules make it easier to direct advancements so adding him later is probably fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vydar wrote:
... or you'll be completely at the mercy of the dice.

@Vydar:

"Mercy of the dice," I snorted my coffee through my nose at that.

hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ardos wrote:
Vydar wrote:
... or you'll be completely at the mercy of the dice.

@Vydar:

"Mercy of the dice," I snorted my coffee through my nose at that.

hilarious.

Nuffle is not a kind god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Benzein
Sweden
Sollentuna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When setting up a team for a league it's worth noting that rerolls cost half during team creation compared to later on, and can be really expensive so if the league has at least 5-6 games or you plan on using the same team for another season there is loads of value in frontloading on rerolls at the cost of positional players. At least now you can more easily get your MVP SPPs onto your Chaos Warriors.

If your league will only run a few games, you will probably want to pick another team if you care about winning as Chaos is probably the slowest of starters and have their peak at very high team value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, gonna participate in a League/Tourney soonish.
So wondering:
How important/essential/recommended is it to have The Blood Bowl Season 1 Death Zone book in hand?
Understands it contains such things as new additional optional Rules, Skills, stats and other things?
Or is all the Skills just as the ones in the latest LRB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piling On is gone, (now optional), Weeping Dagger is new extraordinary for Skaven and not likely going to trigger, the inducement system is different. But, pretty much LRB

Also, teams of legend PDFs has all the older teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm in my second season playing a chaos team - I have a Minotaur on my team, and believe me, he's not worth it. He'll blow a blitz at key times, will fail loner rolls for rerolls, and has limited skills for skill ups (needing doubles to get block hurts as the league evolves and everyone else gets block).

I didn't get him until midway through that first season, thought he'd be great, and have been waiting for him to die ever since. He just won't.

Seriously, you don't need him; and if you get him, don't depend on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nichols
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minotaurs aren't worth their cost, but can be useful. Give them juggernaught and they can blitz reliably. With frenzy and juggernaught together they'll be great at crowd surfing anyone hanging around near the sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that often the key to using Big Guys well is to not activate them--if they're holding a line and occupying a couple of players, it's sometimes best to just leave them there rather than risk an unreliable block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
Remember that often the key to using Big Guys well is to not activate them--if they're holding a line and occupying a couple of players, it's sometimes best to just leave them there rather than risk an unreliable block.

Exactly. I either place my Minotaur on the line when I'm on offense or try to move him up into a crowd (often with a Beastman for assists) to tie up players and get blocks rather than use blitzes - and I'll block with him at the end of my turn, after everything else has been done in case of a bad roll (I hate to risk a reroll on Loner).

I know the odds of rolling a one to activate aren't great - but it does happen, and almost always at a bad time. You figure one out of every six Minotaur blitzes is going to fail. Blitzes are way too valuable to any teams - and even more so for Chaos - that I won't risk losing one unless I absolutely have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.