14 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Number of players allowed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandy Glanton

Michigan
msg tools
So I have just purchased the expansion boards along with Esmerelda, Jetwash and the Pirates & Bounty Hunters add-ons.

My question is...how many players can play the game at one time? In theory, could there be up to 8? Obviously this slows the game play down, but if everyone stays focused it could move along.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has played more than 4 players at once.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have done 5 a few times but we had pizza too so there was something to do if a lag/lull hit. We all tended to forget what the story/objectives were

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't got to 8, but we play long games, and it's fine as long as everyone knows it's going to be a long one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played at the table with up to 6 and it gets pretty hairy (and long). One thing to consider is that the more players there are, the more the NPC ships move, so there's a pretty good chance of something happening to you while you're just sitting there minding your own business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I have had several 6 player games, and they do get very long. As an experienced TI3 player, I am all good with that and prepared for that, but other people should be given a heads up that a 6 player game will take over 5 hours at best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 7 player games and had a lot of fun. A full day game is not a long game. Long games take several days or weeks to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually played a 9 player play-by-forum game a while back, which included a healthy dose of fan-made custom cards. It worked pretty well, but PBF also has different game length standards due to the lack of sore bums at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we play with 4-6 on a regular basis. The more players you have though, the longer the game gets. If you were going to play with anything over 6 I would suggest the house rule that I see used a lot for larger games where 2 players opposite each other take their turns at the same time using two Dinosaurs to keep track. Unless players are going to the same place at the same time, this method really doesn't interfere with the game and keeps things moving along at a rather reasonable pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
We routinely have 4 players. If we have more than that, we break into 2 separate (but smaller) games. Works for us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
We have played 7 player games and had a lot of fun. A full day game is not a long game. Long games take several days or weeks to finish.

The longest game I played was a game of the original Mighty Empires - 40+ hours over 3 weeks (2 players - I lost). I can imagine games of Twilight Imperium going on that long. I have played games of Firefly, Spartacus, Carcassonne and Zombicide which are longer than 5 hours. We love each other's company and have a laugh along the way, even in games that can get competitive.

I think a five+ hour game is great, and with all the expansions, you need the time between turns to look at all of the discard piles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Face to face I like 4-6; more than that tends to have too much downtime. (With the 9-player PBF, #13, some players did find that it was hard to build up enough "good" crew and gear; I wasn't using any third-party cards in that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the great Circus Maximus game with 10 or more players we usually plan for 12 hours for one race. The races are strung together in a campaign. A ten race campaign will thus take around 120 hours. Lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Glanton

Michigan
msg tools
That's a great idea! I like the idea of having people across from each other take their turns at the same time.

We do try to "play ahead" as much as we can even with 4 players to move the game along. As long as we're not interfering with the actual player's turn, we play ahead.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly run six players at conventions. One time I ran seven. They all took exactly 3 hours. That's because they're timed. I've rewritten all of The scenarios to work that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.