Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many old posts refer to Chris Lawson's FAQ, which was hosted at Freespace, but can't be acessed anymore.

Thankfully, it is still possible to access it using webarchive.

Since it may be useful for other people who may not find that route, I thought it would be a good idea to post it here: it can be accessed using the URL Chris Lawson's Stephensons Rocket FAQ, version 1.4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
That link seems problematic to get into BGG.

It would also be nice maybe to upload the FAQ to the files section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, I figured out the URL problem: Fixed link

Still would be nice to be in files perhaps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, I'll convert it to PDF and put it in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On second thought, would that be ok with BGG's guidelines, as I'm not the author of the FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lbleicher wrote:
On second thought, would that be ok with BGG's guidelines, as I'm not the author of the FAQ?

Yeah, best would be if Chris could do it. It's a really valuable resource, and while the wayback machine works I'm not sure it's the best long-term way to preserve the document. I'd ask one of the BGG admins what they recommend.

Edit: I think that Chris is here under the user name "xris". Maybe send him a geekmessage?

There are other Chris Lawsons around, but that one has a definite train game interest, so he's likely the one who wrote this FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
lbleicher wrote:

Yeah, best would be if Chris could do it. It's a really valuable resource, and while the wayback machine works I'm not sure it's the best long-term way to preserve the document. I'd ask one of the BGG admins what they recommend.

Edit: I think that Chris is here under the user name "xris". Maybe send him a geekmessage?

There are other Chris Lawsons around, but that one has a definite train game interest, so he's likely the one who wrote this FAQ.

Thanks for pointing it out! When I was looking for that FAQ I actually did a search on BGG users, but gave up as there were many Chris Lawsons I'll try to contact him, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Didn't realise there were so many of me (Chris Lawson) around on BGG.

I'm happy for a PDF to be created and posted here in the Files section.

Edit: I'll look at creating a PDF in the next few days, unless someone wants to do it instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game for the first time a couple of days ago (and we could have sorely used an FAQ I think!), and am so glad that people are still putting effort into supporting these older games on BGG, it's definitely useful and appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
Played this game for the first time a couple of days ago (and we could have sorely used an FAQ I think!), and am so glad that people are still putting effort into supporting these older games on BGG, it's definitely useful and appreciated!

I'm trying (with no success) to put this on the table for many weeks, and since I'm repeatedly failing to do so I spent quite some time studying the game as the rules seemed confusing to me at first. I know I'm probably overreacting as it is probably one of those cases things would be much more clear once I finally play it, but anyway, I decided to do a Portuguese re-write of the manual in a way that seemed more logical to me (I think the order on which the things are discussed in the original manual are confusing).

First I present the goal (getting more money) and an overall idea of how to achieve it, then how the board is set-up, what are the actions one can do during a turn, what are the possible consequences of putting a track, how do railways get isolated and what should be done in case that happens, how the game ends and how points are awarded in the endgame. That order seems more logical to me. When I finally play this, I hope to contribute with more stuff for this entry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
these older games

fwiw this game was headed for a reprint (and a re-theming at least the location of the map) ~ 9 years ago... still an entry for it here on BGG (see the re-implemented by link) but for some reason I'm not sure any knows it never got anywhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Interociter wrote:
these older games

fwiw this game was headed for a reprint (and a re-theming at least the location of the map) ~ 9 years ago... still an entry for it here on BGG (see the re-implemented by link) but for some reason I'm not sure any knows it never got anywhere

There's a post here from Chris hinting that something is happening.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
TedMarshall wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Interociter wrote:
these older games

No, no. I wouldn't be allowed to say that something is happening.

But there's always the hope that something might happen After all, that whole thread you linked is about the hope that something might happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I've now added the FAQ to the Files section so in a few days it should be available. PDF format, FAQ version 1.4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
TedMarshall wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Interociter wrote:
these older games

No, no. I wouldn't be allowed to say that something is happening.

But there's always the hope that something might happen After all, that whole thread you linked is about the hope that something might happen.

Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, know what I mean? Know what I mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
I've now added the FAQ to the Files section so in a few days it should be available. PDF format, FAQ version 1.4

it's up

Stephenson's Rocket FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.