Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did I miss what April's monthly challenge is? I can't seem to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juperdat wrote:
janiera wrote:
Juperdat wrote:
Do we just post the games we played in March here or somewhere else also? It's my first month submitting. Am I too late?

Create an entry on the geeklist:
The 365 Play Challenge 2017 Edition Geeklist!!!! :)

You can backdate to the beginning of the year... And you are definitely NOT too late...

Do I add the mechanics I played there or here to be a part of the March prize drawing?

They are required on the geeklist... Here is optional, but I usually add here as well to add to the discussion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juperdat wrote:
Did I miss what April's monthly challenge is? I can't seem to find it.

It hasn't been posted yet... We were told it would be sometime today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janiera wrote:
Soleia wrote:
janiera wrote:
Finished up the month with a play of Cranium tonight (to get the Acting mechanic)... I got the Mars Colony level by playing all 40 of the main mechanics, plus 2 additional mechanics... The additional ones have *** in front of the mechanic name, but definitely included Crayon Rails, which is one of my favorite mechanics of all times...

Which Crayon Rail game is your favorite?

My favorite is Iron Dragon by far... But, it's been out of print for years and is getting a reprint later this year... It's also one of the most difficult...

Quote:
Which ones would you recommend most?

I would recommend starting with the easier games in the beginning... A general difficulty ranking would be:

Easy
Empire Builder
Eurorails
Australian Rails
British Rails

Medium
China Rails
India Rails
Nippon Rails

Difficult
Russian Rails
Martian Rails
Lunar Rails
Iron Dragon

There is also Empire Express if you are looking to shorten the game... It's a lot quicker on setup and establishing a beginning network of rails...

Quote:
I really enjoyed Italian Rails and would love to try some more.

Personally, I haven't tried any of the player created maps, just the officially released ones... When I get an established setup, I will be trying some of the player created maps, especially German Rails...

Thanks for the information! Iron Dragon looks awesome, I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for the reprint. I think Italian Rails was probably a good intro to crayon rail system so we'll probably be playing some more to get a feel for it before delving into deeper waters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaoticGemini wrote:
Soleia wrote:
janiera wrote:
Finished up the month with a play of Cranium tonight (to get the Acting mechanic)... I got the Mars Colony level by playing all 40 of the main mechanics, plus 2 additional mechanics... The additional ones have *** in front of the mechanic name, but definitely included Crayon Rails, which is one of my favorite mechanics of all times...

Which Crayon Rail game is your favorite? Which ones would you recommend most? I really enjoyed Italian Rails and would love to try some more.

I did Italian Rails too. We drew right on the map because we only expect to play once since we disliked ticket to ride (tried the marklin edition). We just found it terribly boring. We enjoyed and now need to print a new map. With Italian Rails, we enjoyed the thought that went in to picking the best loads and maximizing profits by limiting the amount of track you have to buy. Are all the Crayon Rails like this one or did we just get lucky and pick a good one?

We drew directly on the map too. I think I'd like a slightly bigger map if I were going to laminate it. I might look into the cost of having one printed. We also used only the first half of the deck since the rules said you could and I wasn't sure how we'd like the game, but I definitely want to print the other half now! Pickup-and-deliver is a favorite mechanic of mine so I enjoyed that aspect of the game as well as planning the best routes. There was lots of thinking involved, but we really didn't mind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Bromfield
msg tools
mb
Juperdat wrote:
janiera wrote:
Juperdat wrote:
Do we just post the games we played in March here or somewhere else also? It's my first month submitting. Am I too late?

You can backdate to the beginning of the year... And you are definitely NOT too late...

Do I add the mechanics I played there or here to be a part of the March prize drawing?

Same question even though I've been going for a few months now. Here are my plays: 46 total and I believe 10 entries into the mechanics robot contest! Many thanks!

Scythe 5
One Night Ultimate Werewolf 4
Capital Lux 2
The Castles of Burgundy 2
Codenames: Pictures 2
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong 2
Giants 2
Inis 2
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King 2
The Resistance: Avalon 2
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game 2
Arboretum 1
Betrayal at House on the Hill 1
Blokus Trigon 1
The Bloody Inn 1
Castles of Mad King Ludwig 1
Citadels 1
Concordia 1
Farmers Finances 1
Flamme Rouge 1
Gloom 1
Hive Pocket 1
Jaipur 1
Kemet 1
Machi Koro: Deluxe Edition 1
Munchkin 1
Mystic Vale 1
Roll for the Galaxy 1
Small World 1
Small World Underground 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giltleaf wrote:
Juperdat wrote:
janiera wrote:
Juperdat wrote:

Same question even though I've been going for a few months now. Here are my plays: 46 total and I believe 10 entries into the mechanics robot contest! Many thanks!

Scythe 5
One Night Ultimate Werewolf 4
Capital Lux 2
The Castles of Burgundy 2
Codenames: Pictures 2
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong 2
Giants 2
Inis 2
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King 2
The Resistance: Avalon 2
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game 2
Arboretum 1
Betrayal at House on the Hill 1
Blokus Trigon 1
The Bloody Inn 1
Castles of Mad King Ludwig 1
Citadels 1
Concordia 1
Farmers Finances 1
Flamme Rouge 1
Gloom 1
Hive Pocket 1
Jaipur 1
Kemet 1
Machi Koro: Deluxe Edition 1
Munchkin 1
Mystic Vale 1
Roll for the Galaxy 1
Small World 1
Small World Underground 1

As Amy said, putting it in your geeklist item is required, but posting here is optional. This thread is typically just for discussion- which for me is half the fun of the challenge! It's neat seeing all the different games people played for this challenge and the new mechanics it introduced us to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky Goode
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for the loser challenge, I'll probably be playing Scythe solo. Out of about ten games, I've won once. I've just played it and lost again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Alan Rushing
United States
Mount Vernon
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!!!! The Monthly Challenge for the month of April has been posted!!!! Go check it out, and don't forget to post some photos of yourself partaking in the fun of April's Monthly Challenge WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS to get one hundred bonus entries into the April Monthly Board Game Giveaway!!!! Enjoy, and have a blessed day!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What are you guys going to use for a fifty pound object to lift over your head? My five year old isn't even that much weight. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Alan Rushing
United States
Mount Vernon
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juperdat wrote:
What are you guys going to use for a fifty pound object to lift over your head? My five year old isn't even that much weight. Any ideas?

You could try two 25 pound objects, five ten pound objects, or etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nevermind. Just found a 50lb bag of unmilled wheat in a closet. Apparently going to be put to good use this month.

On a side note, can you imagine someone trying to win a game of Escape: the Curse of the Temple while doing this challenge with a 50lb object? I bet that would be a sight to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Alan Rushing
United States
Mount Vernon
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juperdat wrote:
Nevermind. Just found a 50lb bag of unmilled wheat in a closet. Apparently going to be put to good use this month.

On a side note, can you imagine someone trying to win a game of Escape: the Curse of the Temple while doing this challenge with a 50lb object? I bet that would be a sight to see.

You should totally do it and post a photo!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerforGod wrote:
Juperdat wrote:

You should totally do it and post a photo!!!!

Just don't hurt yourself! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
April's challenge. First 24 hrs. Played Roll For It! and going for the 15 pointers gave me plenty of opportunity to lift some weight.

We also played Outfoxed. Not only did I have a kid on my back, but also got some squats in allowing her to roll for herself on her own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Alan Rushing
United States
Mount Vernon
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juperdat wrote:
April's challenge. First 24 hrs. Played Roll For It! and going for the 15 pointers gave me plenty of opportunity to lift some weight.

We also played Outfoxed. Not only did I have a kid on my back, but also got some squats in allowing her to roll for herself on her own turn.

That's awesome!!!! Great job!!!! You're setting the bar high (pun intended) for everyone else!!!! Now let's see some photos from everyone else!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm off to a poor start. Due to a shoulder injury, I'll only be doing 1- and 3-point levels, so I looked up the requirements for a card game. Then I stood for the entire game of Free Parking, but several turns in remembered that I was supposed to be doing squats with every card draw. Oh, well. That's 1 point, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Alan Rushing
United States
Mount Vernon
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
I'm off to a poor start. Due to a shoulder injury, I'll only be doing 1- and 3-point levels, so I looked up the requirements for a card game. Then I stood for the entire game of Free Parking, but several turns in remembered that I was supposed to be doing squats with every card draw. Oh, well. That's 1 point, at least.

Great job, but make sure to be careful and not hurt yourself any further. Because of your injury I will accept photos of 1 and 3 point levels from you so that you can still get the bonus entries for the challenge. Great work!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendra Rea
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just gotta get this Piece!

GOT IT!

Now to put it on top... Careful... Careful...

PERFECT!

Most Hilarious. Loved this so much.

Oh and we can't forget the planks!

And of course the picture wont load... Anyway Planks were an epic fail. lasted like 10 seconds. Not long enough to even get a picture. I was already on the floor by the time the picture took.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Alan Rushing
United States
Mount Vernon
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leftyrea wrote:
Just gotta get this Piece!

GOT IT!

Now to put it on top... Careful... Careful...

PERFECT!

Most Hilarious. Loved this so much.

Oh and we can't forget the planks!

And of course the picture wont load... Anyway Planks were an epic fail. lasted like 10 seconds. Not long enough to even get a picture. I was already on the floor by the time the picture took.

That's awesome!!!! Great job at foot Jenga Kendra!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to miss out on the fun so here are my pictures!

First, I played a game of 30 Rails with my feet (drew with one, rolled the two dice with the other)...

My 2 1/2 year old daughter saw and wanted to join in...

Here's what the sheet looked like when I as finished. laugh

Then I planked while we played a game of Bonsai Samurai! I didn't time the game but it was probably a minute or less and I managed to hold the plank the whole game! I will likely be sore tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Alan Rushing
United States
Mount Vernon
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I didn't want to miss out on the fun so here are my pictures!

First, I played a game of 30 Rails with my feet (drew with one, rolled the two dice with the other)...

My 2 1/2 year old daughter saw and wanted to join in...

Here's what the sheet looked like when I as finished. laugh

Then I planked while we played a game of Bonsai Samurai! I didn't time the game but it was probably a minute or less and I managed to hold the plank the whole game! I will likely be sore tomorrow.

Way to go with Footy Rails and Plank Samurai April!!!! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerforGod wrote:
March 2017 - Monthly Challenge - The Mechanics of March a.k.a. March Needs Mechanics!!!!

This month is about celebrating the many ways games work. Do you like to place workers? Gamble on the roll of a die? Bluff your way through? March is all that and more.

For this challenge, you are encouraged to try as many different game mechanics as possible. BGG lists 51 different mechanics, and the stout-hearted will play them all. Since many games employ more than one mechanic, you must choose one per game (although you can play games multiple times to hit all the possible mechanics for that game).

To find games matching a particular mechanic in your collection:

1. Click on Advanced Search next to the search box near the top of the screen.
2. Choose which grouping you wish to search on: games you own, games you’ve rated, or no grouping.
3. Click on “filter by game mechanic”
4. Click on the plus side of the mechanic to choose it or the negative side to not include it in the results.
5. Click “submit”.

Naturally, there are several levels of mechanic-exploring goodness to aspire to:
• The Wheel – Play five different mechanics
• The Lever and Fulcrum – Play 10 different mechanics
• The Particle Accelerator – Play 20 different mechanics
• The International Space Station – Play 30 different mechanics
• The Mars Colony – Play 40* different mechanics

But wait … there’s more!

For every three different games you play in fulfillment of the challenge, you get an entry into the drawing for a very cool Cool Stuff Inc. $30 gift certificate.

*The initial goal for the March Monthly Challenge was for the highest level of the challenge to be that you would have to complete all 51 mechanics Board Game Geek lists in order to achieve it. But as I looked through the mechanics, some of them were so hard to find with so few games that used them that it would be nigh impossible to complete them (even for Mama Games (curse that dastardly Crayon Rail System Mechanic lol)). But for those brave and lucky souls who have the ability to do so, I will award 2 extra entries apiece for each mechanic that was left out due to its rarity. So here is a list of the nine mechanics that were left out:

Area-Impulse
Campaign / Battle Card Driven
Chit-Pull System
Commodity Speculation
Crayon Rail System
Hex-and-Counter
Line Drawing
Paper-and-Pencil
Rock-Paper-Scissors
Secret Unit Deployment
Singing

So just to clarify, in order to complete the highest level of the challenge, you MUST complete the 40 mechanics that ARE NOT the mechanics listed here. Completing these 11 mechanics will get you 2 extra entries apiece into the monthly game giveaway drawing, but these DO NOT count towards the 40 mechanics that you need to play in order to complete the higest level of the monthly challenge. Also, if a game has multiple mechanics in it, when you log a play, you can only use one of the mechanics in that game towards this challenge. So if you want to use another of the mechanics in the game for this challenge, you will need to log a second play of that game. I pray these clarifications are helpful!!!!

Also, an extra special thanks to
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for creating this month's monthly challenge!!!!

Just a reminder to update your geek list items with mechanics by April 10th! I will be using those to select the winner of the monthly challenge on April 15thh, and send the Cool Stuff, Inc. $30 gift certificate on the 19th (payday!) to the lucky winner. Great job, guys! I haven't posted much, but have loved seeing how you took this and ran with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerforGod wrote:
Schoolmarm5 wrote:

Great job, but make sure to be careful and not hurt yourself any further. Because of your injury I will accept photos of 1 and 3 point levels from you so that you can still get the bonus entries for the challenge. Great work!!!!
I appreciate the offer, but I will decline. None of this month's games interest me, and, even if they did, I could accept being at a disadvantage. It's only in real-life things like carrying or moving things that special consideration is needed.

I learned during the first few weeks what not to do. It's healing, and I can do much more now, but I just have to make sure I'm not stupid about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the minimum we have to do to consider the April challenge complete? I didn't see any levels of completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  57 , 58 , 59 , 60 , 61  Next »  [130] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.