Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TL,DR: "What are good games that can be found in Germany but not the US right now?"

I have some co-workers coming to the US from Germany. What are some good games that are fairly language-independent that can be found in Germany but not the US?

We typically prefer smaller games that are good for 2 players (Agricola: ACBAS, 7 Wonders Duel). We are fans of card abstracts with pasted-on themes (Jaipur, Biblios, Splendor, The Game). We also like some larger games that play well at 2 (Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Viticulture Essential Edition, Alhambra, Cacao). I also play solo games and have picked up Sylvion and Onirim for that.

There are some that I'd like to ask about but don't know the availability in Germany vs the US, maybe it's better but maybe not - such as Cottage Garden. Kingdomino was another I haven't seen available much in the US but might be in the EU. I know a lot of HABA and Ravensburger games are available in Germany but not the US. I had wanted Carson City Big Box back when it was on kickstarter and just after but the $40 shipping was unreasonable for me (and since I've realized, "thank god, I would have never played it anyways because it's not great for 2 and my children aren't interested in anything more complicated than Animals on Board").

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say my typical answer to this question has been Cottage Garden, but I played it the other day at an NYC game cafe and didn't like it. Was looking for a game to replace patchwork with my wife - this isn't it for us.

As for my answer now... not sure.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We loved Patchwork. Traded the game away once it came out on iOS and we felt we had "figured it out". What didn't you like about Cottage Garden? Too long, too many boards / things going on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from the Netherlands, game wise the smaller brother of Germany. Cottage garden is easy to get here. And since it is made by the second most famous German game maker, it should also not be a problem in Germany.

Other titles I can think of are:
First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express!
Lorenzo il Magnifico

But may it is easier to just check this geeklist:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215374/essen-2016-ranking...

The best games of Essen of this year. Most should be easy findable in Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Erik. I'll check those games out. I just realized two I want that probably are available in Germany - Arboretum (I believe this is for sure available) and Hanamikoji (an Essen release that might be). Both language independent and small for my colleagues to bring. First Class looks promising too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
Corrected tragedy Garden

This was supposed to say Cottage Garden, right? (Auto-correct FTW!)

Corrected tragedy Garden sounds like a cool game too though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I really want Kashgar: Merchants of the Silk Road. Unfortunately, it requires past-ups on the cards to translate but they can be found easily on bgg. I really like Nauticus also. No in game text. Just print out English rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
We loved Patchwork. Traded the game away once it came out on iOS and we felt we had "figured it out". What didn't you like about Cottage Garden? Too long, too many boards / things going on?

I never felt we were competing against each other for tiles and keeping tiles away from each other. I liked (in patchwork) how you could lag behind if the other player jumped ahead with a large time tile and keep taking turns... Cottage Garden never felt competitive to us.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
!.....Glen More.....!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express! looks really good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not THAT hard to find Um Reifenbreite in the US, but it's much easier to find in Europe. (The never had an English release.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the suggestions. I fear that First Class is a little too heavy for us right now since it's just the 2 of us and my wife loves smaller and quicker games.
I asked for Cottage Garden and Arboretum and they're bringing both of those! I really love the look and mechanics of First Class and maybe I will ask them for that on their next trip in March. That does seem to be the best "Germany only so far" game from Essen 2016. I like the look of Nauticus also but not the 90 min playing time.

My wife is excited about Cottage Garden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Woehrle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Jolly & Roger from 2016. It's a neat 2 player game with beautiful art. It's got a pirate theme and area control/ I split you choose mechanics. It's been on my wishlist but can't find a US release of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.