Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joel hansen
United States
Wautoma
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really compelled to keep playing this game.

It is a quick game and takes a balance of strategy and tactics. And it has created the best kind of response in me, which means i'm thinking about it when I am not playing, and I am wanting to talk through everything that happened in the game after each session.

But with the experienced gamers in my group, there is a general feel that the random card draw is a problem, as it limits the planning and allows people to stumble on

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried drafting a starting hand of contract cards.

It seems like it would be fun to keep things a little more mysterious if each player had maybe three total starting cards. But they were drawn from the large pool of cards...

I can see how this might make a tight game swingy in a different way because people could combo abilities. But i like that idea, if it means that people win because of skillful card management.

Here is my proposed variant.

During Setup,

Each player is dealt two basic, purple-backed "private contract" cards, and five regular "neutral contract" cards.

Everyone discards down to 1 private contract card, and 2 neutral contract cards.

During Gameplay,

Increase the pool of public contract cards to six cards to allow for more planning and combos.

laugh

If anyone tries this please share with me how it goes.

Also, if you have better idea of how to give players a bit more control over the cards, please share that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Koch
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you mean 1 Private contract Card and 2 neutral cards?

I think it would be more compelling to select one neutral and then pass and so on, 5 times. Then discard 3 neutrals and chose the best private contract for your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel hansen
United States
Wautoma
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. I meant private...

I imagine a standard rotating draft would work well, but I guess my suggestion was more similar to the beginning of Race for the Galaxy. I wouldn't want a public, face-up draft because you already have too many variables to track.

I don't want to change the game too drastically. I just thought it would be interesting to choose cards that had a synergy. And to be able to plan a bit more ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Esch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
So you kind of have a Ticket-to-Ride drafting mechanism? Should work, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.