Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a silly question but what happens if, in a Combat Encounter, you have to roll e.g. a skill -3 and you only have 2 rolls? E.g. Roll a strength -3 and I'm only permitted a 2 dice roll according to my investigator card? How does this affect me and the monster? Again, this is probably garbled but I hope I've made myself clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bcoot9 wrote:
Probably a silly question but what happens if, in a Combat Encounter, you have to roll e.g. a skill -3 and you only have 2 rolls? E.g. Roll a strength -3 and I'm only permitted a 2 dice roll according to my investigator card? How does this affect me and the monster? Again, this is probably garbled but I hope I've made myself clear.

You always roll at least 1(one) die. Rules Reference PDF page 11 Right Column...

When an investigator resolves a test, he performs the following steps:

1. Determine Dice Pool: The investigator determines the number of
dice he will roll. This number is his dice pool.

• He starts with a number equal to the skill being tested.

• He adds or subtracts the test modifier (the number that follows
the skill icon on the effect).

• If he has an Improvement token for the skill being tested, he
adds the Improvement token’s modifier.

• He may use one effect that provides a bonus (for example “Gain
+3 {”). If multiple effects provide a bonus, he uses only the
highest bonus.

• He adds any “additional dice” he gains from effects that apply.
Additional dice are cumulative and are in addition to other
effects.

2. Roll Dice: He rolls a number of dice equal to his dice pool.

• If an investigator’s dice pool is below 1, he rolls 1 die instead.

• If an investigator’s dice pool is greater than the number of dice
available, he rolls as many dice as possible, counts his successes,
and rolls the dice again until he has rolled a number of dice
equal to his dice pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. Have to get these little niggly things out of the way during the first few games and there seems to be more to grasp in EH than in most other games I've played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bcoot9 wrote:
Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. Have to get these little niggly things out of the way during the first few games and there seems to be more to grasp in EH than in most other games I've played so far.

My first couple of games were a bit uncertain as well. If you enjoy it and see the potential in EH for you, then stick with it, it gets much smoother and play goes quite a bit quicker with a bit of experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I look forward to that. I found the same with Pandemic when I started and didn't grasp it until I'd played about 6/7 solo games. Now it's really enjoyable and we play with our neighbours who I was able to teach fairly quickly as I'd had this initial familiarizing experience. EH is already making a lot of sense after only a couple of games. It's now sharing my life with Chess which doesn't leave much time or space for anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.