Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: This is another "Which level should I have to pledge?" threat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have not decided yet.

I think there are only 3 possibilities for my limited moneys:

- only the core game
- add the Gambler Chest
- do not pledge.

I've seen some gameplay videos and I'm still not convinced on what are the real aspects that make this game such a "different gaming experience" in comparison to other miniature fantasy games.

To my eyes looks like there is a lot of dice throwing involved, lots of randon generated predefined events and a lot of text to read. Also the fighting system seems to have many "already seen" aspects.

My other doubts are about the Gambler Chest that includes a lot of miniatures and cards.
Is it adding something really valuable to gameplay or it's a little more then a bunch of alternative very well craft minis?

Don't want to seem to critical but which is the real "added value" of this game?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some threads from the first page of the forum that might help you:

New to KDM? Everything you need to know before backing/buying [Updated Post-KS]

Kingdom Death Monster 1.5 Kickstarter FAQ

Anyone else thinking of dropping the Gamblers Box?

Gamblers Chest
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wendling
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, with the high cost and timesink of the game, and since you've already expressed you have limited money available for it and don't seem as interested in the minis, I'd recommend not backing. I personally love the game, the theme, assembling the minis, and have gotten into painting as well as a result and love KD for that. I love punishing roguelike video games with a constant sense of high-tension, brainburner solo gaming (with occasional group campaigns), and pondering what the best combination of equipment, skills, and stats I can send out to accomplish a task. KD scratches all of those itches for me.

But that's the impact it's had on me and that doesn't apply to everyone.

I think with this kickstarter a lot of people are hearing about the game, looking at the ton of money it's raised, and feeling like they missed out on something and need to get in this time. That's likely going to lead to a ton of people unsatisfied when they get their core game, and probably just result in a lot of people trying to sell their copies for eBay scalper prices. If you decide not to back, you're only going to be missing out on a game, not a life-changing experience, and you'll have the money to spend on other stuff, like a wider variety of games that could give you just as much or possibly more enjoyment or any other hobby you may have.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mae68it wrote:
So I have not decided yet.

I think there are only 3 possibilities for my limited moneys:

- only the core game
- add the Gambler Chest
- do not pledge.

I've seen some gameplay videos and I'm still not convinced on what are the real aspects that make this game such a "different gaming experience" in comparison to other miniature fantasy games.

To my eyes looks like there is a lot of dice throwing involved, lots of randon generated predefined events and a lot of text to read. Also the fighting system seems to have many "already seen" aspects.

My other doubts are about the Gambler Chest that includes a lot of miniatures and cards.
Is it adding something really valuable to gameplay or it's a little more then a bunch of alternative very well craft minis?

Don't want to seem to critical but which is the real "added value" of this game?



First up, ease up on the threats, friend. We're happy to help, just don't hurt us.

I've not played any games with a similar mechanic to the AI and especially the Hit Location decks (please do tell me if you have, I'd be interested in playing them). They're make the fight interesting and different, IMO. More detail on them can be found int he first link above(under mechanics).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
mae68it wrote:
Don't want to seem to critical but which is the real "added value" of this game?

there is none it's a big hoax we're all having a laugh throwing $9 million at it

ssh

it's a secret
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
mae68it wrote:
Don't want to seem to critical but which is the real "added value" of this game?

there is none it's a big hoax we're all having a laugh throwing $9 million at it

ssh

it's a secret


Wouldn't be the first time on KS. Wasn't there that potato salad that raised like 60k a few years back.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And something about kittens just recently? whistle
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
tumorous wrote:
mae68it wrote:
Don't want to seem to critical but which is the real "added value" of this game?

there is none it's a big hoax we're all having a laugh throwing $9 million at it

ssh

it's a secret


Wouldn't be the first time on KS. Wasn't there that potato salad that raised like 60k a few years back.

yes

it's like that

times 150

shhh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mae68it wrote:
So I have not decided yet.

I think there are only 3 possibilities for my limited moneys:

- only the core game
- add the Gambler Chest
- do not pledge.

I've seen some gameplay videos and I'm still not convinced on what are the real aspects that make this game such a "different gaming experience" in comparison to other miniature fantasy games.

To my eyes looks like there is a lot of dice throwing involved, lots of randon generated predefined events and a lot of text to read. Also the fighting system seems to have many "already seen" aspects.

My other doubts are about the Gambler Chest that includes a lot of miniatures and cards.
Is it adding something really valuable to gameplay or it's a little more then a bunch of alternative very well craft minis?

Don't want to seem to critical but which is the real "added value" of this game?



The value of the game is the experience it provides and the minis are just a part of it (AAA part by the way). If you split it into simple elements it might not look impressive, but when you put everything together...wow, just wow. Maybe it hasn't invented the wheel, but indeed it has combined things which such a scope that I hadn't seen in other boardgame out there. But beware: it's only worth it if you are set to enjoy it 100%, for it will require that you dedicate a lot of time to it.

In view of the things that you say and provided that you are familiar enough with how the game plays, it looks like you are either not in the correct mood to like the game, or otherwise you are just not impressed with what you have seen. And since you are short of $$$, I'd pass. Don't worry though, we will still manage to get funded...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
For you I would recommend no pledge or core game only.

Like Artschool said, this game is more the sum of its parts than any individual section.

It's like roleplaying in Poot's world, whether you like the creator's comments in this kickstarter might be a good way to gauge your interest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.