Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnold Neumann
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say thay "a craftsman may only be placed if he can reach at least one resource of the required type which is not yet in range of another craftsman of the same type".

I take this to mean that a vessel maker does not require exclusive control of a clay which is within 3 range of a potter (as the two craftsman are not of the same type).

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. Vessel maker is a secondary craftsman with rules further down (the parentheses are mine):

"It is allowed to build a secondary craftsman (e.g. vessel maker) such that he uses the same resource (e.g. clay) as the primary craftsman he depends on (e.g. potter)."

The rules even state that "in some circumstances, this may mean that it is impossible to use either of the craftsmen for upgrading a monument".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Neumann
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Nicholas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nhjelmberg wrote:
That is correct. Vessel maker is a secondary craftsman with rules further down (the parentheses are mine):

"It is allowed to build a secondary craftsman (e.g. vessel maker) such that he uses the same resource (e.g. clay) as the primary craftsman he depends on (e.g. potter)."

The rules even state that "in some circumstances, this may mean that it is impossible to use either of the craftsmen for upgrading a monument".

For a newb to the game, what gameplay advantage does this create.
Is it a blocking move?
Is it to steal the use of the resource from another player depending on turn order?

PLB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
flag msg tools
PM me your type of "Soul Food"!
badge
mhhh...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can slow the game down! Sometimes you see a player is running away with simple upgrades because of low prices or many resources on the board. Then you can divide the opportunities in half or even block it, until someone places water tiles to reach new resources or place new resources with the shaman or even place a second primary or secondary craftsman somewhere on the board (and maybe pay hub costs to reach the other craftsman).

Edit: Sometimes you can do that to the primary craftsman of your opponent, so that the opponent has to buy at your primary craftsman because there are plenty of resources available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dreedy
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So adding to this question with a bit of a rules clarification -

the rules for Building secondary craftsmen state "They can reach the primary craftsman if it is either in range 3, or if it is in range of a hub that is in range. You do not have to pay for using hubs when building a craftsmen."

Question - does this mean that you do not need to pay for hubs from the primary good to the secondary craftsman ever? Or is this a superfluous statement saying that in order to place this craftsman tile, you do not need to pay for hubs? Why would one think you would need to use a hub to place a craftsman tile? Did I miss something that says you need to pay (use a resource) resources (clay, wood, ivory) in order to place a craftsman tile?

THanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules writer didn't think this was superfluous. I agree.

You have the rule just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harryet wrote:
Or is this a superfluous statement saying that in order to place this craftsman tile, you do not need to pay for hubs? Why would one think you would need to use a hub to place a craftsman tile?

People make mistakes. Generally, the biggest problem with rules is not that they are Just Too Clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrio Secco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harryet wrote:
Why would one think you would need to use a hub to place a craftsman tile?

It sounds pretty clear to me if I didn't understand wrong.
You can play a secondary that is far from his primary (way more than 3 cells), but anyway it can reach it using hubs. In this case (only when you place the secondary) you don't pay for hubs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.