John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm a newer wargamer who has only played Maria, Cuba Libre and Combat Commander (I like Maria and Combat Commander much more than Cuba Libre so far).

I have ASL SK1, Breakout Normandy on the shelf to learn next.

I know EE and AE offer a different scale and experience, so my real question is whether this is a good introduction to the strategic scope based on my tastes or whether this would likely sit on the shelf next to more modern games.

I have an opportunity to pick up EE and AE for a fantastic price locally, but I'm wondering how much play these will see if they are more consims than games. Beyond that, whether there are more modern offerings that might suit my preference for game-first, simulation-second.

I was even considering FAB: the Bulge as an alternative for a first block game entry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, and think they have aged very well. They are lower-complexity games, and a good step up from light fare like Axis and Allies into more serious wargames.

Europe Engulfed is a good game that captures most of the European theater without a ton of rules overhead. It plays very nicely, and while it's long (about 8-10 hours). The combat can be a little high-variance, but there's a lot of fun in this game.

Asia Engulfed is the better game of the two. The naval response mechanism provides for a very nice tension with decision making. You're continually asking (especially as the Japanese player), "Is this the attack I really want to spend my fleet on?" Plus, the higher-variance combat system captures Pacific Theater naval combat very well. You can weight the odds in your favor, but going in you never know when freak events will throw a combat off completely. I think this captures Pacific theater carrier warfare at this scale very well. Think how much Midway swung on the outcome of a few bomb hits.

AE's handling of ship production is also very good. It's clever, without being too weighty.

I recommend both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Bryan
United States
Empire
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and I'm very glad they are in my collection. They have fantastic and innovative game mechanics and really give you some tough decisions (and looks beautiful set up).

Fun, fun games with the right players.

The main issue will be how often will they hit the table. Yes, there are shorter scenarios, but if you want to play from 1939 and have a full-on WW2 with a friend(s).. expect it to take a while..unlike some of the newer games you mentioned which can be played in a few hours to a long session ( which seems to be the trend nowadays)

But, if you had a chance to grab both for a reasonable price I'd jump on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that they both have aged well and that Asia Engulfed is the better game. They can easily compete with more modern games of similar scope and complexity. (There aren't too many to begin with actually).

If you're planning on getting only one, get AE. If you get both, good for you. However, don't bother combining them. They're better as separate games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone else that they are still great fun. My preference is EE. For a gateway it is a bit easier in terms of strategy. Buy them both if you can. I'm not sure what a "great" price is. I see them in the CSW Marketplace for $50-60 each (played copies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drazen Kramaric
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come GMT doesn't consider them worthy of reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drax Kramer wrote:
How come GMT doesn't consider them worthy of reprint?

EE was reprinted at least once (I think). I reckon stocks moved a tad too slow to warrant a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
I own both, and think they have aged very well. They are lower-complexity games, and a good step up from light fare like Axis and Allies into more serious wargames.

Warning to the uninitiated -- people's views on complexity vary A LOT. These games are a BIIIIG step up in complexity from Axis & Allies, even though as wargames go they are on the low-to-middle end.

If you want a quick game with Grand Strategy try Triumph & Tragedy.

HOWEVER -- Worthington Games' Holdfast Russia (just releasing now in 2ed) is much lighter. Though its scale is just the Eastern Front, the scale is still vast, and you can learn to play it in five minutes with the video from the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
I agree that they both have aged well and that Asia Engulfed is the better game. They can easily compete with more modern games of similar scope and complexity. (There aren't too many to begin with actually).

VERY FEW Grand Strategy games that have modern production values and aren't super complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think EE is about a perfect game for what it is. Will never get old for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.