Subject: House Rules: Upgrades are face down + Clarification rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maya Zimmerman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've talked about this rule (no face up upgrade cards; just a deck you draw from during the upgrade phase) but have yet to play a game with it this way, but basically, it's meant to prevent people from constantly going to the dream when good weapons are there. It seems like every time the kirkhammer, beast claw, or repeating pistol shows up, everyone ditches en masse to the dream to try to snag one and it makes Bloodborne a very defensive game, which is kind of antithetical to the spirit of Bloodborne, the video game, which rewards an aggressive play style, compared to the Souls series. Obviously, you'd still show everyone the card you draw when you draw an upgrade to maintain the card-counting element of play.

In addition, we clarify whether damage from pvp is halved when going to the dream in advance of the game (we never do a sum that is halved because it doesn't make sense with the flow of phases). If pvp damage is halved (and thus rendered null, as all pvp damage has a value of 1), we call it co-op mode and if it isn't, we call it pvp mode. Generally, pvp mode is preferred because it's more challenging and people die more, which is more in keeping with the spirit of Bloodborne. I imagine we'll switch back to co-op if we draw Rom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was wondering about how to deal with everyone rushing to the hunter's dream for weapons... I mean, part of that might be intentional design... But the second time we played last night, we were rushing into the hunter's dream at the beginning of the game, even if just to quickly get a full hand of 7 cards. Which meant the first two monsters escaped.

I'm not sure about the idea of completely concealing the items in hunters dream though.. It sounds like a neat variant though. I've been thinking about the idea of making items cost bloodechoes, though I can see why that wouldn't work..

What about this?

Beginning of the game, hunter upgrade items are laid face down in the hunter's dream. Once someone goes to the hunter's dream, the cards are then revealed, as if the hunters are viewing the wares. Players that go to Hunter's dream take their cards, leaving whatever revealed cards still there face up, while the empty upgrade slots are refilled with face down cards, and those won't reveal again until the next hunter's dream visit. That way, you can see what has already been seen, but there's also an element of the merchant having unknown new items to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya Zimmerman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"What about this?

Beginning of the game, hunter upgrade items are laid face down in the hunter's dream. Once someone goes to the hunter's dream, the cards are then revealed, as if the hunters are viewing the wares. Players that go to Hunter's dream take their cards, leaving whatever revealed cards still there face up, while the empty upgrade slots are refilled with face down cards, and those won't reveal again until the next hunter's dream visit. That way, you can see what has already been seen, but there's also an element of the merchant having unknown new items to check out."

Wow, that seems like a really good way to minimize the rushing to the dream while also leaving the selection mechanic intact! We'll have to try that next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just used a facedown deck for all upgrades and it made it much more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Weaver
msg tools
As an alternate rule, instead of having 1 display of X upgrade cards you instead have 3 sets of X upgrade cards and you can only get access to those 3 displays if you have a matching Trophy that you've earned from killing a monster.

So in a 4 player game you'd have a Kin (Blue trophy) display of 4, a Humanoids display (Skull Trophy) of 4 and a Beasts (Claw trophy) display of 4 and you'd have one library where you get access to all of the cards.

Any player could instead draw the top card of the library and show it to everyone.

I doubt you'll be seeing many monsters escape in this scenario it could also end up punishing some players very badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CYD Vicious
msg tools
After reading this thread, I've only played with this house rule:

There are X number of upgrades, face down for each player. (4 player game, 4 face down upgrades). When a hunter goes to upgrade their weapon they look at all 4 options secretly, and choose one, then place them face down again, and replace the card they took with one from the upgrade deck, thus there are always 4 face down upgrade cards for the next hunter. This keeps others from rushing because they don't know what was good. But if you looked and know what is good, you may want to go back sooner than later.

In addition, Upgrade is always forced. Even if you don't want to upgrade any of your weapons, you must still choose one, and you can choose to discard the new one chosen, just to cycle through the upgrades...

This has worked well so far. Also allows some bluffing, which may goad your other hunters to head back sooner than they would otherwise to clean out the stale upgrades ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.