Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johniel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hi fellow BGG'ers,

I recently purchased Mansions of Madness 2e and decided to pick up Elder Sign as an impulse buy (as in 2 days ago). The reason I did so is because I didn't/don't have a dice game in my collection and it seemed interesting to me when I was reading the description in an FFG catalog. But evidently, it's being reprinted?

When I went to the FFG site to download the app, I noticed the Upcoming header (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/) and decided to check out what was in the pipeline. That is where I saw that they were "reprinting" Elder Sign and available next week.

I've tried to find any information on what the reprint entails but have been coming up blank. I know sometimes reprints change certain things but don't 2nd edition it. Things like art, font, card stock or dice quality, for example. So I'd thought I'd check here and see if anyone happens to know if it's the same as what I bought or if there are any differences. I tried mailing and calling FFG and haven't received a response yet (to be fair, their site Admin told me they were having issues).

Since it was an impulse buy, it's still sealed and I don't mind going to exchange it if there are differences. If there are none I'd just open it up. :-)

Which brings me to the advice portion of this post.

A little background first. The reason I bought Mansions was that my wife really enjoys Betrayal, but we never have enough people to play. So I had heard that Mansions was a good replacement. "Problem" is, with Mansion, I now have three/four "horror" themed games (Shadows of Brimstone x 2 the other). I'm concerned about having too many "like" themed games and all three are cooperative.

So the question is, with that in mind, would any of you recommend any other dice game, great for two players, over Elder Sign? I'm willing to consider non-cooperative as well. I'm also happy with keeping it if it's a solid game. Thoughts?

Thanks all in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some good dice games around; it depends on what you're searching for exactly (I could suggest you to get Roll for the Galaxy for example: brilliant, fast paced, crazy fun).

In any case, Elder Sign is a solid game, especially if you're willing to invest a few extra bucks on the Gates of Arkham expansion. The core set is pretty easy to beat, so that after some 10-20 games some players feel the need for a greater challenge.

I'd not be worried about the coming reprint, tho. It's just a reprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, fun, easy to teach and play game. Highly recommended.

Reprint on that list literally means it will have another print run. There was a 'revised printing' a few years ago to fix a few issues but I think the base game is pretty much as it always will be now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.