Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lawrence
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Friends,

In anticipation of a move, I am looking to downsize my game collection. I have around 50+ games that I would (reluctantly) like to part with.

What do you recommend is the best method to "get rid of" my now excess games? Should I have a games list auction or sell the lot to a retailer? Which retailers, if any, do you recommend?

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to sell a lot of game quickly, is to auction them off separately or find someone to buy the lot locally. Maybe someone in your game group or a friend of someone in your game group? I have bought several collections locally in FL. I pay a % of market value for each game, then keep some, trade some, and sell the rest through the marketplace.

A retailer will buy them for a fraction of value in order to sell them for a profit. They also have overhead and the cost of having capital tied up to discount for. Plus they would have to discount for shipping, or you would have to pay to ship them.

Selling as one lot would also incur discounting, as someone will be less willing to pay the market value for games they don't want while paying a fair price for games they do.

If I were you, I'd aggressively price them and list them in the marketplace for 1 week, as this is people looking for the specific game, rather than people looking for a deal via an auction. Then have a BGG auction for the leftovers.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
id suggest here, craigslist, then any local game stores you may have. In that order.

Selling here costs very little and would probably get you the most.
Craigslist will get the most eyes on it and is also free. The real cost is the time bargaining and such.
Finding a FLGS might be able to connect you to some gaming groups if their not interested in buying. A game store would probably give you the lest money but would probably be the easiest of they were a store that would buy used games.

You could consider doing a large trade with a few people where you send/give them your side and they wait till you move and they send theirs to your new place.

Also theres:
http://boardgameco.com/
could be an option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmb
Pay it Forward First (PIFF) — Spreading Board Game Geek Love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on how much time you'll have and what its worth. If you're moving you'll probably want to sell via auction rather than list in the marketplace and wait for a buyer.

If you're selling games via BGG you might want to plan on spending 45-60 minutes per game. That's to inventory it, make sure that the description is accurate, list the game, communicate with the buyer, pack it and ship it.

I haven't seen great success with selling complete lots on BGG. Most people would rather purchase individual games.

There should be plenty of locals in Wisconsin. Are there any upcoming gaming conventions where you can run an auction here on BGG and then hand over items directly at the convention? That would save a lot of time and costs for the buyers.

If you're parting with Here I Stand, you may be able to get $60-120 for it. It is between print runs. A tool that I use to price games is spielboy.com. It tracks the history of marketplace sales here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grinnan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See if there is a board game sale /trade group on facebook, in your area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
rlawrence66 wrote:
Which retailers, if any, do you recommend?

Regards

If you decide to sell to a retailer, I would recommend noble knight games.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the retailer side, some FLGSs do let you sell your games there (setting your own price) for a commission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I haven't seen great success with selling complete lots on BGG. Most people would rather purchase individual games.

That's because just about every single person who sells in a lot asks too much money.

When selling in a lot if you want top dollar you have to be lucky enough to find the perfect person that wants most or even all of what you've got for sale. If not, that means the person buying is going to trade or re-sell what they don't want. And that's work. So that means a bulk sale needs to be cheap. And IME I've found few if any sellers on BGG who are willing to accept this as the cost of getting rid all their games in fell swoop.

It's basically unrealistic expectations that make lot sales not happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P BoardGameCo
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
rlawrence66 wrote:
Hi Friends,

In anticipation of a move, I am looking to downsize my game collection. I have around 50+ games that I would (reluctantly) like to part with.

What do you recommend is the best method to "get rid of" my now excess games? Should I have a games list auction or sell the lot to a retailer? Which retailers, if any, do you recommend?

Regards

Hi we trade large lots of used games every day at boardgameco.com As has been suggested, you may not maximize the value of the entire lot by trading it all at once, but you will get rid of it efficiently and - at least with us - establish a store credit to enable you to rebuild your collection with 'the hotness' whenever the time is right for you. If you message alexsr via bggmail he will help you do this very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.