Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother in law has decreased function in his hands so we're looking for ways that he can play card games with us. Does anyone know of any sleeves that have texture on them or something to make them easy to pick up. We've considered play mats and sticky foam squares on the backs, but I thought I'd ask the community since you all are so helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried playing on playmats? I've found it's a lot easier to pick up cards on card-playing mats because you can depress the surface as you pick up the card. Making it much easier to grab an edge. Or, you can press on one edge of the card, making the other edge lift off the surface for easy grabbing.

Here's a link where you can make and order custom, oversized playmats:

http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-oversize-playmat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about those rubber textured fimbles everyone used to have in an office to help flick through paper?

Also the card stand and cards holders that are used to help little ones hold their cards as their hands are too small?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These things:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rubber+thimbles&source=lnm...

and these things:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=playing+card+holders&biw=1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about card sleeves, but I second some sort of playmat in addition to sleeves. I actually just bought a big square piece of grey felt from a fabric store, and it works great. Much better than fiddling around on my glass/wooden table surfaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
How about getting card holders instead? so the cards will not be lying down on a flat surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FELT!

Play on felt.

Just place a cloth on the table, it can be tea-towel sized to cover his play area or a big table cloth to cover the whole table.

If the difficulty is extreme use this technique; Press one corner, then pick it up by the diagonally opposite corner, with practice you can do this with one hand (depending on the nature of the problem). TO increase the effect get a heavier (thicker) felt to increase the lift.

Option 2 - there are card holders available - Bridge players use them.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I think we're going to go the card holder and play mat route. We have a bunch of scrap wood in the garage so I just might make one. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you mind sharing specifics? Like is it control or strength?
If you lucky enough to have a FLGS or a local gaming group you may be able to ask for their help trying out card sleeves as one would probably have very beefy sleeves.

A possible DIY solution could be spraying sleeves with spray glue and letting them dry. It gives them kind of a soft sandpaper feel. You'll want to do a very light coat and let it sit for 3x longer (at least) than whatever the can says its curing time is. Each type of spray glue is diffrent so it may take some trial and error to find what sticks to the sleve and what give you a good texture. I would sugest something that advertizes as permanent and unforgiving; if they say you have time to adjust what your glueing it means it stays very tacky longer and doesn't bond to what its sprayed on as much as others. Elmers spray glue is a good example of what you do NOT what.
I think this might be the best for this job...I'm just judging on the info, I have not used this specifically
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-High-Strength-90-Spray...

Oh and if you go with a mat try to get something a little thicker, It helps with that push and pull method of picking up already mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to play Boss Monster and it would be more about controlling the cards. You have to pick up the hero cards and send them through the dungeon quite frequently. Allowing him to do it himself instead of doing it for him and rushing through it, letting him see how his dungeon works is most of the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
boardgamemeltdown wrote:
We're going to play Boss Monster and it would be more about controlling the cards. You have to pick up the hero cards and send them through the dungeon quite frequently. Allowing him to do it himself instead of doing it for him and rushing through it, letting him see how his dungeon works is most of the fun.

There are a lot of good suggestions in the thread so far that shold work well for lots of card games.

Given the specific context of Boss Monster, another solution you might try is getting a set of pawns or meeples in various colours - two of each in five colours or so would probably be more than enough. Put one meeple on the hero card and the matching meeple on his dungeon, and let him move the meeples instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:

Given the specific context of Boss Monster, another solution you might try is getting a set of pawns or meeples in various colours - two of each in five colours or so would probably be more than enough. Put one meeple on the hero card and the matching meeple on his dungeon, and let him move the meeples instead.

that's a great idea... Looks like I have to buy Carcassonne now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.