Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: How does this game fare for someone who doesn't like the original Risk? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Budnicki
Poland
flag msg tools
I used to play Risk in its vanilla version back in my childhood. It was fun when I was six, but got bored with its randomness ultimately. At the same time, I'm really fascinated with the Legacy mechanics in general and would try something of this type. Should I get Risk Legacy then? Pandemic Legacy feels too... strict for me, because from what I've read it's really hard to play it with a changing group of players. Are there any other Legacy-style games, maybe? Or will be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Risk Legacy is still Risk.

Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy are equally strict or flexible concerning the player group. Both are better with the same group.

There is a third Legacy-game called SeaFall, which contrary to the other two is not based on a preexisting game.

If you like ccops and Pandemic, I would go with Pandemic Legacy.
If you like competitive games, I would go with Risk Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Risk Legacy is still Risk.
This is only half true. Risk Legacy still uses the same dice mechanics as regular Risk, but you have clear objectives that make the games much shorter and objective focused. On top of that, you start in a single region instead of having a populated board so there is a sense of expansion and strategy as opposed to randomly starting positions. The faction powers and scars also mitigate some of the luck in some circumstances. Most people I have played with have loved it, but I did have one friend who really disliked the dice mechanics of Risk who didn't enjoy that much (though he also tried to start in Africa a bunch which didn't work out for him).

Comparing Pandemic Legacy and Risk Legacy, they are quite different. Pandemic Legacy has a clear story and progression that is told each month. It is mostly "on the rails" and you will want to keep the same group. Risk Legacy, on the other hand, feels more like you are in control as your group will determine when things get added to the game (though some are easier than others), and the major events will feel linked to actions that you guys chose to take.

From what you have said, I would probably lean towards Risk unless you think you will be really bothered by the dice. To be fair, there is a lot of luck in Pandemic too with a bad draw having lasting consequences so it is up to you. I have not played Seafall, but if you are not into long, heavish Euros, I would probably avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any Legacy game should be played with the same group. For Risk and Pandemic, I think that occasionally players could rotate in and out, but they should play regularly enough to follow storyline (Pandemic) and rules changes (Risk) and group dynamics. I think you can miss 1-3 games in a row before you miss too much, but then you should be present for the next 2 or 3 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Risk Legacy, on the other hand, feels more like you are in control as your group will determine when things get added to the game (though some are easier than others), and the major events will feel linked to actions that you guys chose to take.

That is very much the case and probably the reason why I enjoyed RL so much more than PL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
I think any Legacy game should be played with the same group. For Risk and Pandemic, I think that occasionally players could rotate in and out, but they should play regularly enough to follow storyline (Pandemic) and rules changes (Risk) and group dynamics. I think you can miss 1-3 games in a row before you miss too much, but then you should be present for the next 2 or 3 games.

I would even go as far and say that playing with the same group is what Legacy is about. There really isn't any use to play only 1 or 2 games of the campaign.

Legacy and group dynamics are best friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too played a lot of regular Risk when I was a teenager. I don't play it anymore because I've played it enough and there are plenty of games I like better to play now. I played a Risk Legacy campaign and enjoyed it.

It you are just bored with regular Risk, but don't dislike it, you may like Risk Legacy. However Risk Legacy is best played with the same group of players, because some effects that carry over between games are tied to specific players. This is not true of Pandemic Legacy. While Pandemic Legacy is also better played with the same group, if you can't achieve this, I would recommend Pandemic Legacy over Risk Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
DecadentHamster wrote:
I used to play Risk in its vanilla version back in my childhood. It was fun when I was six, but got bored with its randomness ultimately. At the same time, I'm really fascinated with the Legacy mechanics in general and would try something of this type. Should I get Risk Legacy then? Pandemic Legacy feels too... strict for me, because from what I've read it's really hard to play it with a changing group of players. Are there any other Legacy-style games, maybe? Or will be?

When you define your past experience as Vanilla RISK, are you referring to when the goal was world domination only, or do you mean when they started adding goals for winning, such as taking over so many territories in a turn, or other objectives like that? Because the difference between those versions of the same game are pretty drastic.

RISK Legacy is in another realm of it's own with all the packet openings, the way the board and rules change as you progress, etc. It is well worth picking up and playing even for those who think they do not like RISK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Budnicki
Poland
flag msg tools
ras2124 wrote:
Risk Legacy still uses the same dice mechanics as regular Risk, but you have clear objectives that make the games much shorter and objective focused. On top of that, you start in a single region instead of having a populated board so there is a sense of expansion and strategy as opposed to randomly starting positions. The faction powers and scars also mitigate some of the luck in some circumstances. Most people I have played with have loved it, but I did have one friend who really disliked the dice mechanics of Risk who didn't enjoy that much (though he also tried to start in Africa a bunch which didn't work out for him).

Comparing Pandemic Legacy and Risk Legacy, they are quite different. Pandemic Legacy has a clear story and progression that is told each month. It is mostly "on the rails" and you will want to keep the same group. Risk Legacy, on the other hand, feels more like you are in control as your group will determine when things get added to the game (though some are easier than others), and the major events will feel linked to actions that you guys chose to take.

From what you have said, I would probably lean towards Risk unless you think you will be really bothered by the dice. To be fair, there is a lot of luck in Pandemic too with a bad draw having lasting consequences so it is up to you. I have not played Seafall, but if you are not into long, heavish Euros, I would probably avoid it.

Thank you! This actually answers a lot of my questions - both those that I understood before and those I did not. I'm not bothered that much by the dice as long as there are ways to mitigate your luck and feel "in control" of the game, with lucky plays feeling cool rather than unfair (hell, King of Tokyo is one of my fave games and this has a fair share of dice inside, although it's more of a party game)

ejclason wrote:
Risk Legacy is best played with the same group of players, because some effects that carry over between games are tied to specific players. This is not true of Pandemic Legacy. While Pandemic Legacy is also better played with the same group, if you can't achieve this, I would recommend Pandemic Legacy over Risk Legacy.

Well, there will be like 7 to 8 players total. My group of friends presently resides in different towns, so gathering them is hard already. Is this amount too much?

klurejr wrote:

When you define your past experience as Vanilla RISK, are you referring to when the goal was world domination only, or do you mean when they started adding goals for winning, such as taking over so many territories in a turn, or other objectives like that? Because the difference between those versions of the same game are pretty drastic.

Only world domination. I have a vague rememberance of some objective cards, but must've never used them in the actual game for some (likely stupid) reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 7 to 8 is fine as long as they are fine with dropping in and out and potentially coming back to something new they weren't a part of. Overall I probably played my campaign with something like 10 people, and it wasn't a problem. The rules don't really change that dramatically to the extent that someone couldn't drop out for a few games and come back, especially compared to Pandemic Legacy where several new things are added every month. The main issue is that not playing will put them out of the running for naming the world at the end (person with most victories), but if your group is okay with that, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, in my experience, getting to play with different number of players really changes the game so as compared to Pandemic, I am not completely convinced that the same group EVERY time is ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy is a lot better than vanilla Risk. It lacks most of the really stupid features: like doing setup on every single territory, and (IMO) the all-time dumbest feature in any strategy game; the ever increasing troop turnins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
DecadentHamster wrote:
Only world domination. I have a vague rememberance of some objective cards, but must've never used them in the actual game for some (likely stupid) reason

Then yes, you will like it much better. When you first start the games can be as quick as 30 min before a win, so you really start the Legacy engine quickly of changing and adapting the board.

Once things get a bit more established the games last longer, but nothing like the Total domination days when players were eliminated and had to sit out and just watch. In the two full 15 game boards I played it was a rare occurrence for someone to be eliminated with no options to return to gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Risk, but I;m always ready for Risk LEGACY!!!!!
I can't wait to play another game!
unfortunately my kids and I played with 2 of their friends and they moved
we rarely get to play it ...
must play it ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
[q="DecadentHamster"]
Once things get a bit more established the games last longer, but nothing like the Total domination days when players were eliminated and had to sit out and just watch. In the two full 15 game boards I played it was a rare occurrence for someone to be eliminated with no options to return to gameplay.

Agree completely with that comment. Once your army has been lost and you are knocked out, you can start again on your next turn on any free territory. We have never seen anyone come back from being knocked out early to win the game, but at least you get to play. Plus, as long as you have one guy on the board, you get an end-game action (minor city, add to a card, etc.).

I find Legacy takes a fraction of the time to play as original Risk. Someone always goes for broke on turn 1 trying to capture a nearby HQ, someone always tries to take North America and becomes the focus of the rest of the group, initial games had turtles in Australia (me included) but then I used my winning power to reduce the Australian bonus by 1 so you only got one bonus army for owning all 4 regions. No one beelines for Australia any longer, games are wide open now.

I also like the catch-up mechanic. Players who haven't won start with a token, and only need to capture 2 HQs to win. That really evened it out. And when one player started to use his winning bonus to build a strong starting point, everyone else scarred it to death. Legacy makes Risk SO MUCH BETTER, I can't even properly put it into words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diarmaid Geever
msg tools
Some of the mechanics are the same,i.e.;Dice Roll attacking, Continent bonus' but so much is different as well, I think even you don't enjoy risk usually you would enjoy Legacy. The Legacy elements of the game make it so much more interesting, it really pushes you to strategise and come up with tactics for the short and long term, and this becomes even more so when you start opening the pockets. The more you play the better it gets. I got it as a present and so far have played three games with my friends and it is just brilliant. really looking foreward to the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.