Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Codenames» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can one card have more then one clue from different turns? Need dispute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan C
msg tools
Hi everyone, I have a question and would like it to be settled, If the developer or design team can give insight on it as well, please help out thank you.

So my question is, can one card have more then one clue from different turns. For example, I am the spymaster for team blue, and we have one word left, "apple". I gave my clue of "red", but didn't see that there was also "blood" on the field as well, so my teammates picked blood, we lost our turn and red proceeds. When it's our turn again, I am allowed to give a new clue of "fruit", correct?

My friend is stating that for each card, you are only allowed to give one clue throughout the session of the game. So after I gave my clue of "red" for the word apple, and since it's the last card, when it's our turn to give clues again, I am not allowed to give a new clue, I can only repeat "red" again.

Basically saying if I am the starting team, I am only allowed to give up to 9 clues total for the 9 cards. If I was ambitious and said xxxx:5, I will only be allowed to give 4 more clues the rest of the game since 5 cards have been given a clue already.

As we could not find anything in the rule book to confirm who is correct, I would really like to know from the developer, but all comments are welcomed. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
You are right, your friend is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanAries wrote:
My friend is stating that for each card, you are only allowed to give one clue throughout the session of the game.

Good lord, why would he think that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to, you could even say Apple again.

Ive done it before to hammer home, come on guys, its staring you in the face. or if they were debating something and they got me to see they are making a connection I didn't see the first go round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
If you wanted to, you could even say Apple again.

Ive done it before to hammer home, come on guys, its staring you in the face. or if they were debating something and they got me to see they are making a connection I didn't see the first go round.

You mean "red". And it's always better to give a new clue, I mean your partners have a brain and remember what you said the round before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are indisputably correct. No clue where your friend would have gotten that idea. The fact that this restriction could not be found in the rulebook (because it doesn't exist) should be all the confirmation needed. You can't make up a rule and say "since it doesn't explicitly say this isn't a rule, that means it is!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Just to obnoxiously jump on the band wagon, you are correct. Your friend is
WRONG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
RyanAries wrote:
My friend is stating that for each card, you are only allowed to give one clue throughout the session of the game.

Good lord, why would he think that?

Because it was advantageous to him to misinterpret the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if your friend were correct the game would be nearly unplayable.

At the very least it would grind to halt until one team guessed wrong enough times to lose.

Aside from that, how would you even begin to police that? Who would know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you want an official answer, I can happily say that your friend couldn't be more wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
msg tools
Thank you all for your reply, I will let him know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
RyanAries wrote:
Thank you all for your reply, I will let him know.

In case your friend / you are not aware. (You probably are but I can't think of another reason for his/her interpretation)

If you name a clue, and your team guesses another word, but that word belongs to your team, you get the point either way. Then the next turn, you can still use that same clue to make sure they guess your original word. Or you could use a different clue to pair it with another word.

If you couldn't it would be problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.