Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/star-trek-attack-wing-starter-b...

Price depends on whether or not they hit 20 people, but either way it's a little over $50. Good way to get started.

I looked around, and it seems like Massdrop is allowed here... I trimmed out the referral part of the link, didn't even know they had a program until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game, but I feel like they really jumped the gun. If they had waited and used the Armada rules it would be so much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really familiar with any sort of miniatures combat games, I just played STAW a couple times at a friend's house. How would Wizkids have known about an upcoming FFG game? The link between STAW/X-Wing is confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
The link between STAW/X-Wing is confusing.

Wizkids pays money to FFG to use the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Wizkids sue FFG for using the dials too or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
Didn't Wizkids sue FFG for using the dials too or something?

They kicked the idea around in public, probably for negotiation leverage if nothing else. No lawsuit ever happened though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
Not really familiar with any sort of miniatures combat games, I just played STAW a couple times at a friend's house. How would Wizkids have known about an upcoming FFG game? The link between STAW/X-Wing is confusing.

Basically X-wing did really well, so Wizkids licensed the system and made STAW. Then shortly after FFG came out with Armada. That's why I feel STAW jumped the gun. If they hadn't jumped on X-wing as quickly as they had, they could have licensed the Armada system instead, which is better for larger ships that appear in Star Trek and would be closer to scale to mix ships between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmcampbell wrote:
NoSoup4you wrote:

Basically X-wing did really well, so Wizkids licensed the system and made STAW. Then shortly after FFG came out with Armada. That's why I feel STAW jumped the gun. If they hadn't jumped on X-wing as quickly as they had, they could have licensed the Armada system instead, which is better for larger ships that appear in Star Trek and would be closer to scale to mix ships between the two.

Even the people I know who play STAW over X-Wing seem to have problems with STAW over balance issues with cards (some ships are borderline useless but need to be purchased for the cards that come with them) and some factions (something that's very limited in X-Wing but very diverse in STAW).

As for Armada being a better system for Trek, that's probably true, but Armada hasn't been as popular in general. And the price is a little higher than X-Wing, which has been a wall against adoption. And most people I've met seem to be less interested in Trek than SW. So making a less popular game with a less popular theme is probably something they looked at, but decided against (no matter how much better the game fits).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I actually like Star Trek more than Star Wars, but X-Wing is better than Attack Wing for the miniatures alone. FFG does a great job on the details while the WizKids models look like they come out of those 25 cent vending machines. Also, if you want to get geeky (which I always do), FFG try to pay attention to scale from the stories - some ships are way bigger than others, and they're represented as such. Wiz Kids makes just about all the Star Trek ships the same size even if some might be 2x or 3x the size of each other in the shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
mbmbmb
One might argue against Armada as a system for Star Trek as Trek ships are much more maneuverable compared to the capital ships in Star Wars. That said, I do think Armada is a good system.

I'd be interested in this just to get the ships for the upcoming Star Trek RPG but the cost is a bit high for the quality and getting random ships is a turn off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even the people I know who play STAW over X-Wing seem to have problems with STAW over balance issues with cards (some ships are borderline useless but need to be purchased for the cards that come with them) and some factions (something that's very limited in X-Wing but very diverse in STAW).

I find that thematic, If you watch Star Trek, every ship is a throw away except for the Hero's ship. This is one of many reasons I hate Voyager. That piece of crap ship can survive a Borg strong hold? No damn way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall Armada coming out several years after STAW, not just after as a previous reply indicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being able to pick which 4 expansions you get is pretty bad, and on top of that outside of maybe the Negh'var, none of the listed expansions are all that appetizing. Sure there might be an upgrade here or there, but none of the really notable expansions are on the list (which isn't surprising).

X-Wing was definitely implemented better than Star Trek Attack Wing. WizKids probably would not have gone for the Armada model because they liked being able to release a lot of stuff and fast. A lot of the attack wing stuff should have been playtested more.

For casual games it can still be fun, but I'm now at about 8 months since playing Attack Wing competitively because it was just too exasperating following the changing rules and card errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would you consider the important ships? I'm mainly getting into it because of a friend that already plays. Even though Wizkids is shit at balancing things, I like the greater customization and the prospect of having a lot of missions. I also don't care about Star Wars as a property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.