5 Posts

Villages of Valeria» Forums » Rules

Subject: Longer Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I were playing and according to the rules for two people if either has 12 Buildings and/or Adventurers this triggers the game end.

This seemed to go pretty quickly for us. Did I get a lucky draw with 4 buildings that provided extra resources during a build option?

We initially thought it was 12 Buildings AND Adventurers (24 total) to trigger the end.

Just seemed like we were just getting going with buildings (I had 10 and she had 6) when we suddenly were at the end.

Did we miss anything here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
ravynlocke wrote:

I don't think you missed anything.
I think it's just supposed to be a quick game. The box says ~45 minutes.

My wife and I have played a few times and we can now finish a 2 player game in 25 min or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
ravynlocke wrote:

I don't think you missed anything.
I think it's just supposed to be a quick game. The box says ~45 minutes.

My wife and I have played a few times and we can now finish a 2 player game in 25 min or so.

Agreed.

If you would prefer a longer game (and want to have more time to enjoy the glory of the engine that you build) you can consider a variant in which Adventurer's don't count towards the 12 to trigger the end game. I haven't tested that to any great extent, but it does mean that the game would take a bit longer without requiring much other tinkering, and it would slow down an Adventurer-speed strategy (ie, churn gold and buy really cheap Adventurers as quickly as possible to end the game before your opponent can get too many points)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Spriggs
Australia
Cheltenham
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravynlocke wrote:
My wife and I were playing and according to the rules for two people if either has 12 Buildings and/or Adventurers this triggers the game end.

This seemed to go pretty quickly for us. Did I get a lucky draw with 4 buildings that provided extra resources during a build option?

We initially thought it was 12 Buildings AND Adventurers (24 total) to trigger the end.

Just seemed like we were just getting going with buildings (I had 10 and she had 6) when we suddenly were at the end.

The Monuments expansion fixed the length problem for us and I would never play without it. Monuments generally require more actions than regular buildings to eventually complete, and they don't count toward the building/adventurer end game limit. Someone could still ignore them and try to rush buildings/adventures to trigger the end, but it wouldn't be a great strategy in most cases. Monuments are worth a lot of VPs and there will be some adventures with abilities that reward monument/building construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randos wrote:
ravynlocke wrote:

The Monuments expansion fixed the length problem for us and I would never play without it. Monuments generally require more actions than regular buildings to eventually complete, and they don't count toward the building/adventurer end game limit. Someone could still ignore them and try to rush buildings/adventures to trigger the end, but it wouldn't be a great strategy in most cases. Monuments are worth a lot of VPs and there will be some adventures with abilities that reward monument/building construction.

Good to hear. We haven't had a chance to try out the expansions yet. Looking forward to it, maybe this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.