Subject: Follow-up Wayfare Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quirky situation arose in our session today. Crimea had unlocked the Wayfare faction mat ability, and began its turn with a mech and a couple of workers on a home base (happened to be an inactive faction's base) the units had moved to from a territory hex.
The question that arose was: could the Crimea player take the Deploy action and place a mech on that home base (the only other workers Crimea had in play also happened to be on a home base).

If one was to strictly apply the rules, the answer would be "no". They state (p. 15): "to deploy a mech, place that mech on a territory you control with at least one worker on it".
The rules also clearly say that home bases are not territories, and that a player cannot build structures on them (p.5)

Normally, the only way a worker can end up on a home base is by retreating after losing a combat. Workers (or any other units) can not normally move onto a home base through a Move action.

Wayfare being an exception to this rule, in the example above, could the Crimea player deploy a mech on the home base she began her turn on, or would the "only deploy on a territory you control with a worker" rule still apply, in which case she would have to move off of the base before she could deploy her mech?

Thanks for your insights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you noted, you can only deploy mechs on territories, and home bases aren't territories, so you can't deploy mechs, build structures, or trade on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
As you noted, you can only deploy mechs on territories, and home bases aren't territories, so you can't deploy mechs, build structures, or trade on them.

A very similar question - what about spending resources from home region after moving them with the same ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has also come up - it may even be listed in the rules - at end of game you don't score points for resources that are on home bases, in this manner : so I'm 99% sure you can't spend them from there, either. And if you fnd that section in the rules, or a thread here, I suspect that will be confirmed alongside thread scoring issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Ok, that seems consistent with the other rules. Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't spend resources from home bases (the only time this would arise is with Crimea). It's on page 4: You may only spend resources from territories you currently control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
You can't spend resources from home bases (the only time this would arise is with Crimea). It's on page 4: You may only spend resources from territories you currently control.

This is a good rule, prevents someone from building a bunch of resources and then running back to the faction home to "protect" them. Not that a move like that would be easy to pull off or a great tactical move from what I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another follow-up question about Wayfare, Jamey (and I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere):
The new Wayfare ability for 6+ players ("move to any unoccupied farm) - has the ability to move to your own home base been removed entirely? Because that seems a lot worse than simply leaving the original Wayfare rules as they were, especially taking into account the time it takes to build mechs vs. the relative scarcity of unoccupied farms in a 6+ player game. Should it instead be "move to your home base or any unoccupied farm"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
klurejr wrote:
This is a good rule, prevents someone from building a bunch of resources and then running back to the faction home to "protect" them. Not that a move like that would be easy to pull off or a great tactical move from what I can see.

I've seen a couple of games where only one faction in the game had a lake-movement ability and they tried to stockpile (attended) resources in a lake to protect them. It wasn't terribly impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torgo: That's correct, it's a completely new ability that replaces the old ability for 6-7 player games. The ability allows you to move to any unoccupied farm (it resembles some of the other "warp" abilities other factions have).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
So, following this logic I'd guess that if Crimea had a mech with some resources on a home base while the game end was triggered, those resources also wouldn't give that player any gold. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
So, following this logic I'd guess that if Crimea had a mech with some resources on a home base while the game end was triggered, those resources also wouldn't give that player any gold. Is that correct?

That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Vermalen
Belgium
flag msg tools
Another wayfare question:

We've played yesterday for the first time. Does a unit has to be next to unemployed faction to move into it? Or can you move from anywhere on the board to any unemployed faction base?

Tx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat: With Wayfare, Crimea can use a move action to move a character or mech to any inactive home base from anywhere on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Mat: With Wayfare, Crimea can use a move action to move a character or mech to any inactive home base from anywhere on the board.

By the way, it counts for just 1 movement, right? If player already has Speed (+1), he can move to the inactive home base with first movement and then move a second hexagon, going out of that base, that is it? I think it is, but last time a fellow player thought it was only a privilege to perform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulo: Yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Vermalen
Belgium
flag msg tools
Tx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.