Subject: Targeting Computer Mod rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone suggested the idea for a Targeting Computer Mod? The player who has it can control where any damage they applied from that weapon to a target ship goes on that ship. This obviously is a huge benefit to the player who possesses it since they could force certain cargo to be jettisoned or weaken their target's ability to escape or defend or even return fire. It seems very thematic and opens the door to some interesting strategies. I think I'll Photoshop up a printable component and test it out. What cost would you associate with something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
40kCr.

Seriously this would be *overwhelmingly* broken. The game simply becomes: "I have to have this Mod, and I have to attack my opponent's first."

The first point of damage that gets through their shield you throw on their weapon, the second and third on shields, and any more on their engine. They get one turn to try and improve their situation, and then you kill them the next turn. Not terribly challenging, and in between your turns they have a really unfun turn. If you inflict, and place, 5pts of damage (3engine first), then all they get to do on their turn is Impulse, use their abilities, and fire a weapon if they have it... you can just gut them with 5pts (3 leaves them "stranded").

The only thing in the game that does something like this is the Pyrion Railgun on Occam's Razor. It's limited to just 2pts of damage, and only if you roll a natural 20 on its activation.

Compare this to the Shield Piercer mod, which reduces their shield roll by 4. This reduces their future shield rolls by 1die per pt of damage.

I refer to this as Pinpoint Damage, just so I could use the idea on other ship abilities. I had an idea for something like this awhile ago, the idea's been discussed on here a few times.

Without looking for that idea, this is how I would do it now. A mod that goes in your hold adjacent & connected to a weapon. You can choose to use it or not when you make an attack. When you use it you roll damage for the weapon as usual, to see if it penetrates their shield. If any damage gets through then the weapon inflicts 1pt of Pinpoint Damage per Mod instead (max of damage that got through). Nope, strike that last part. This should probably only ever do 1pt of damage. Even if you limited it to 1 mod per tier of the weapon, 3pts is pretty gross. This also encourages you to get bigger Blasters and shoot twice. It's also a lot easier to explain, remember, and write out in rules text.

-------------

Pinpoint Damage: Place Pinpoint Damage on target ship in any Hold spaces you choose. Pinpoint Damage is always Unblockable.

Armor Piercer: Placed in the cargo hold orthogonally adjacent to a Weapon Outfit.

When you make an attack using an Armor Piercer, roll your weapons damage as normal. If at least one point of damage gets through then you may assign 1pt of Pinpoint Damage instead.

Note: While an Armor Piercer deals Pinpoint Damage, the damage it deals is not Unblockable because the attack must first do damage before it is considered Pinpoint Damage.

-------------

This could be too good, and it could be not good enough to get played. It would need some serious playtesting to figure that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this last night and being able to place all damage markers is way too powerful, so perhaps this mod lets you place the first damage marker, the rest are placed as normal -- by the player. This still lends itself to strategic advantages but does not feel way overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Placing one single point anywhere you want, could quite possibly be too good. Putting the first anywhere, and still doing more damage, I do not ever see working.

The only way to do this in the game, only happens on a natural 20 roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.