Subject: Problems in design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Labich
Denmark
Give
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As an experienced boardgame player I often wonder why publishing firms design games as they do.
Magna Grecia is a good game, but it has too many anoying errors in design to make me play it again and again.
1) The colors: It looks nice, but they are too dificult to distinguish - especially the orange and yellow. The colors should have been: Red, blue, black and white or something like that. Not yellow, it's simply to hard to see on the boardgame.
2) City tiles: They should have been colored on the rim, when the tiles are covvered with markets, you simply can't se who owns the city. You the have to move the markets and thereby revealing your plans.
3) Acion map: Good idea, BUT, why coloring the rim? When you stack them you can still se the rims of all the maps. This gives you some information, which I don't think was the intention.
4) Player aids: The player aids are too confusing. They could have been done better.
5) The box: It is not smart to make space for the unpunched sheets. After you've punched the game, the hole is very anoying. The hole for the Action maps is not deep enough. Four nice holes for the hex tiles... BUT as soon as you move the game around, all the tiles shuffle. Make a lit or a seperate box for the hex tiles.

Overall: To many flaws in the design of the tiles/ box and player aids. Worst of all: The colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Problems in design
labich (#25628),
I think it's a shame not to play this game because of a few annoyances.
The colors could have been more distinct, yes. But as for the city tiles, many times the cities have more than one tile in them so enough room is free for markets.
I'm not sure I understand your problem with the action cards, though. The colors are so you can "shuffle" them in a way so as to evenly space the player turns, and I don't see where knowing the color around the edge of the card gives you any useful information.
If "player aids" refers to the summary cards, then you shouldn't worry about it much. After the first game you won't even need them. Just sit the reserve tiles off to one side.
And it would really be a shame not to give a game a chance just because the box design was poor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
labich (#25628),
I picked up this game recently but I haven't played it yet. However, I would like to speak to a few of your points.

1) The colors aren't the greatest, but I appreciate the fact that they made an effort to use colors that are different from the normal game colors. I think it is unfortunate that it has been so poorly recieved because it will discourage such a departure in the future. I think the idea of using different colors has some merit, even if it was poorly implemented in this case.

3) Couldn't you easily play with the stack face down and only turn the current and next cards face up? That would preserve the mechanic as I understand it but also hide the extra information that you are concerned about.

5) This bugged me a bit, but I kept the punched tile sheets so I could use them as place holders to keep the hexes in the slots, which I think helps a little bit.

cheers,
malachi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
labich (#25628),

I have mixed opinions about your remarks:

1) Colors: I appreciate the attempt on a different color scheme, but orange is definitely confusing: too similar to red and too similar to yellow. The other three colors are nice for me.

2) City tiles: Maybe I'm missing something, but the only thing that matters is who own the MARKETS in a given city. And that is crystal clear (if there are no orange markets, that is).

3) Actions tiles: Some information is revealed. They should have paid more attention to this. It's not terrible, though.

4) Player Aids: I don't even use them. Anyway they are in a foreign language (foreign for me, I mean)

5) Box: What the heck were they thinking? The box arragned to contained the game when it's unpunched!! And there isn't room enough for the action tiles. The worst packaging I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malachi (#30637),

I also keep the punched sheets!

I wish nobody would miss a good game because of a couple design mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aristarco (#33365),

No it DOES matter as to who own a city, not just the markets. When you are trying to determine if a given market is active, you need to know whose city it is.

I do really like the game, and think the Rio Grande "tan board" works just fine, and I too only turn up the top two turn order cards. Not a big deal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
labich (#25628),

I think you are supposed to be able to look ahead and see the sequence of action cards for the rest of the game. If not, why would the rules say that they are face-up (rather than face-down)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cnd_77 (#35307),

I have them all turned down, except for the top two. When one tile is discarded, the next one is handed to the start player, and then the next tile is turned up. Works fine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Labich
Denmark
Give
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Windopaene (#35310),

Don't mistake me, I think the game is good, BUT I don't like paying that kind of money for a game, when the producers make mistakes like that. We have to start saying no to bad game designs.

By the way, I'm happy about all the response I got on this point. I'm sorry I didn't answer back before, I didn't think there would be this much respons.

Anders Labich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.