Subject: Finding 3rd edition expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My family has gotten back into playing Settlers this year and has really enjoyed it, so I started looking for expansions that would match our base game, that is 3rd edition.

I was surprised to find that 3rd edition expansions, specifically seafarers and cities &knights are basically non-existent either new or used anywhere that I can find- BGG, craigslist, ebay, amazon, etc. I know it's a popular game, but its also a mass produced game that was very widely sold, so where did all the copies go? Are the more recent versions so crappy that everyone with an old version is unwilling to let theirs go?

Pax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think it's just that people with older versions are less likely to re-buy everything they already have again just to get expansions. There's nothing wrong with the latest version (although I have 4th edition, and spent a good time looking for Seafarers and all the 5-6 player expansions I needed). 5th edition artwork is fine, and there are no changes to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Most likely those wanting 3rd edition expansions already snapped them up quite some time ago when 4th edition was announced/released.

Because there was some newer expansions coming out and I wasn't ready to stop buying, I switched to 4th edition and sold/traded most of my 3rd edition already for those wanting to have a more complete 3rd edition set. I have some stuff still left but not much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
My family has gotten back into playing Settlers this year and has really enjoyed it, so I started looking for expansions that would match our base game, that is 3rd edition.

I was surprised to find that 3rd edition expansions, specifically seafarers and cities &knights are basically non-existent either new or used anywhere that I can find- BGG, craigslist, ebay, amazon, etc. I know it's a popular game, but its also a mass produced game that was very widely sold, so where did all the copies go? Are the more recent versions so crappy that everyone with an old version is unwilling to let theirs go?

Pax

People would probably not just be selling the 3rd edition expansions. You would probably have better luck looking for the 3rd edition base game + expansions as a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.