Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Rules

Subject: Did we play Quest 1 correctly? (Spoilerish) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Quest 1 tonight (the one about the Necromancer's laboratory). I know it's supposed to be an easy scenario, but it seemed a bit *too* easy, and I'm wondering if we played something wrong.

Basically, we headed (as a group) straight for the yellow vault door near our initial space, went through it to the opposite corner, got the objectives there, went through that building and up to the purple vault door nearby, then entered the big building through the purple vault door in the opposite corner.

By doing so, we were basically able to ignore all the zombies walking the streets, since their only open route to us for the first half of the game was through the yellow vault door we opened initially, so they were always "behind" us. Once we opened the doors to get into the purple vault, some of them could reroute through those doors, but by then we were already in the big building and grabbing the final objectives.

We also got a bit lucky in the big building's initial spawn because we got a few necromancer spawns one after the other (probably due to bad shuffling), and since there's only one necromancer, the rules state that further spawns just give the existing necromancer an extra activation. There was already another necromancer on the board, and since we were close to winning we didn't bother to try to stop him from escaping since there were only four spawn zones at that point.

So at the end of the game all the walkers were out roaming the streets; a few runners had caught up with us, but mostly we were able to just blow through. (We had killed an abomination and a couple necromancers on the way.)

Does that sound plausible? Mostly I'm wondering whether we were doing something wrong with the zombie movement, but it seems like the rules don't allow for them to bash down doors - they basically have to follow us through doors that we've already bashed down, so we could "channel" them in this way. Is that right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds quite plausible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right. It's a straight forward quest overall, and is just a bit more involved than the tutorial.

And, you are correct about doors, only Heroes (for the most part) can open them.

A lot of Zcide has to do with how well everyone rolls too, so keep that in mind, if everyone takes out targets reliably an otherwise tricky quest may go very smoothly.

That said, there are plenty of opportunities to use tactics and strategy to solve the puzzles. So if the group works well together, that can make a big difference as well.

And finally, hordes of Walkers are easy enough to out maneuver for the most part, however, on larger maps that can be a balancing act because eventually, if you run out of minis, they'll start getting multiple activations, sometimes on top of each other, and getting overrun becomes a real possibility.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that started to happen to us at the very end (running out of walkers). I can see that in scenarios with more cross-streets and smaller buildings it wouldn't be so easy to keep the zombies "single file" behind us.

So far we've pretty much always travelled as more or less a single group. I'm curious to see what will tactically force us to split up in later scenarios, if any.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
notwebsafe wrote:
...So far we've pretty much always travelled as more or less a single group. I'm curious to see what will tactically force us to split up in later scenarios, if any.


Speaking only for the myriad groups I've played with (I play with new or casual gamers a lot), it tends to come down to how everyone sees the board. Most people pick up on the popular tactic of opening buildings early in order to spawn them in low danger levels. Not a tactic I suggest very often because players pick up on it organically once I explain how spawning works.

Anyway, this drive to get the big spawns out early before anyone gets out of the Blue danger level, is a mighty motivator for splitting the party.

Another one that comes up frequently is one or two Characters who have area control abilities posting up in strategic locations in order to give the rest of the party breathing room to do other stuff.

Another tactic that folks often come up with in my games, is baiting or Kiting. Essentially, some one (or several someones), finding a place to hole up and bang on a door (Use actions to make as much noise as possible), in order to draw Zeds that do not have line of site towards a dead end where they can hold them in place while the rest of the party gets the job done--whatever that might be.

EDIT: We have been playing the above wrong. See corrective comments below.

In some of these situations, it's possible for one or more players to do a lot less searching and fighting in order to maintain control of the board, which is only really "Fun" for team players, so watch out for that trap.

All of this said, and these are surely only *some* examples of what leads parties to split, there are many reasons that it can come up, but usually it seems to happen most frequently with groups that view each board as a puzzle to be solved as efficiently as possible. Or that's been my experience so far at least.

I'd dig hearing updates as you and your group(s) play more games and see what your own experiences prove.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I have a question about your "bang on a door" scenario - my understanding was that zombies are always supposed to travel along an open path to the noisiest spot - i.e., they wouldn't just head for a closed door near the noisy zone and get stuck there; they would find a path that would get them to the noise. So wouldn't they catch up with that character eventually? (I guess I don't understand what conditions would create a "dead end" where you could hold zombies.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
QorDaq wrote:
Another tactic that folks often come up with in my games, is baiting or Kiting. Essentially, some one (or several someones), finding a place to hole up and bang on a door (Use actions to make as much noise as possible), in order to draw Zeds that do not have line of site towards a dead end where they can hold them in place while the rest of the party gets the job done--whatever that might be.

This is not correct game play. The Zs would not pool in a dead end. They will always find an open path to their target zone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck is correct.

Zombies look for the shortest open path to their destination. They only consider paths with closed doors if there is absolutely no open path. In most cases, they definitely do have an open path too. The only times they won't have one is when they start or spawn in a closed building; or when you have played long enough to get a character to Ultra-red enough times that they would finally be able to choose to gain the "Lock it Down" Skill (as I believe no Survivors have it by default).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, good. That's what I thought.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
QorDaq wrote:
Another tactic that folks often come up with in my games, is baiting or Kiting. Essentially, some one (or several someones), finding a place to hole up and bang on a door (Use actions to make as much noise as possible), in order to draw Zeds that do not have line of site towards a dead end where they can hold them in place while the rest of the party gets the job done--whatever that might be.

This is not correct game play. The Zs would not pool in a dead end. They will always find an open path to their target zone.


Clipper wrote:
Chuck is correct.

Zombies look for the shortest open path to their destination. They only consider paths with closed doors if there is absolutely no open path. In most cases, they definitely do have an open path too. The only times they won't have one is when they start or spawn in a closed building; or when you have played long enough to get a character to Ultra-red enough times that they would finally be able to choose to gain the "Lock it Down" Skill (as I believe no Survivors have it by default).


Thanks folks. Great example of how being taught a rule improperly gets repeated and becomes "The way we've always done it".

Much obliged for the correction, and apologies to Narciso for attempting to lead you down the wrong path. Good catch on your part though, so Kudos there.

Never to proud to learn!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.