Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
4.6 Five Mississippi
mb

My lateness hauls... Still awaiting my KS copy of '65

However as it was said to me the other day, the easy part is buying them. Currently stuck trying to wrap my head around "what the fuck do i do" in Empire of the Sun. I'm not an AP guy, generally if i don't know i will do something, but holy shit this games rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a beautiful haul mate! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
4.6 Five Mississippi
mb
SnorriHT wrote:
on a side note that may be of interest to you. Hexasim has cheap shipping to us in Aus here in under a week. 17 Euro for Dawn, Tentakooie and Dien Duck Goose in that pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anthonii wrote:

However as it was said to me the other day, the easy part is buying them. Currently stuck trying to wrap my head around "what the fuck do i do" in Empire of the Sun. I'm not an AP guy, generally if i don't know i will do something, but holy shit this games rough.

Man, I need to finish that Empire of the Sun playbook...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenkatoitsu because the AAC bumps are spreading and not responding to the antibiotic cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anthonii wrote:
SnorriHT wrote:
on a side note that may be of interest to you. Hexasim has cheap shipping to us in Aus here in under a week. 17 Euro for Dawn, Tentakooie and Dien Duck Goose in that pic.

Thanks for the tip. That postage rate is impressive, compared to the ripoff that is international postage from the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anthonii wrote:
Currently stuck trying to wrap my head around "what the fuck do i do" in Empire of the Sun. I'm not an AP guy, generally if i don't know i will do something, but holy shit this games rough.

I had the same problem when I was trying to learn EotS...I found referring to the Erasmus AI often helped. It would at least point you in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anthonii wrote:

Is that Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain under all those boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Total randomly Braxton...
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
anthonii wrote:

I believe he is a playtester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Royse City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The purpose of argument is to change the nature of truth.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:

The box for Titan was in good shape, but had a sticker on the cover and old scotch tape on the sides. I had to put on my game restoration hat and take a hair dryer to the sticker and the tape to melt the glue, peel it off, then take scotch tape to the sticky parts and lift away the softened glue. Worked like a charm. Aside from the discoloration where the stickers and tape were, no residue was left.

CSI: Advance After Combat!

Speaking of which, just a couple of weeks ago, I completed my greatest game restoration masterpiece on a copy of Dune for Dr. Bruce. He bought an unpunched copy that was somehow still unpunched despite being stored in a completely destroyed box. It was crushed, all the corners were blown, an entire side of the box top was detached, and the top edge of the box bottom was torn and peeling away from the paper covering.

I should have taken "before" pictures, but I didn't think to start photographing until I'd already started the restoration. But I did get some pics in progress.

The first thing that had to be fixed was the crushing. This is accomplished by ironing the box. Yes, ironing it. You just throw a tea towel down over the crushed portions and literally iron them out flat.

With that done, it was time to fix all the busted corners/detached pieces...

Here, you can see the detached side piece from the box top. I've reattached it along the inside seam with archivists' tape, so I can then glue the corners and fix them in place with binder clips and metal L-brackets:

For the bottom of the box, it was a matter of gluing the peeling back of the box back on and then doing the two blown corners all at the same time, so they'd mutually reinforce each other. This is the "after" shot:

The end result was a box that would actually store the game! Dr. Bruce paid $75 for it. I told him if he left it unpunched he could flip it for over $100. We punched it and played it the following weekend, however.

here's a simple one. how do i fix this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Total randomly Braxton...
mbmbmbmbmb
FertileSpade wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:

The box for Titan was in good shape, but had a sticker on the cover and old scotch tape on the sides. I had to put on my game restoration hat and take a hair dryer to the sticker and the tape to melt the glue, peel it off, then take scotch tape to the sticky parts and lift away the softened glue. Worked like a charm. Aside from the discoloration where the stickers and tape were, no residue was left.

CSI: Advance After Combat!

Speaking of which, just a couple of weeks ago, I completed my greatest game restoration masterpiece on a copy of Dune for Dr. Bruce. He bought an unpunched copy that was somehow still unpunched despite being stored in a completely destroyed box. It was crushed, all the corners were blown, an entire side of the box top was detached, and the top edge of the box bottom was torn and peeling away from the paper covering.

I should have taken "before" pictures, but I didn't think to start photographing until I'd already started the restoration. But I did get some pics in progress.

The first thing that had to be fixed was the crushing. This is accomplished by ironing the box. Yes, ironing it. You just throw a tea towel down over the crushed portions and literally iron them out flat.

With that done, it was time to fix all the busted corners/detached pieces...

Here, you can see the detached side piece from the box top. I've reattached it along the inside seam with archivists' tape, so I can then glue the corners and fix them in place with binder clips and metal L-brackets:

For the bottom of the box, it was a matter of gluing the peeling back of the box back on and then doing the two blown corners all at the same time, so they'd mutually reinforce each other. This is the "after" shot:

The end result was a box that would actually store the game! Dr. Bruce paid $75 for it. I told him if he left it unpunched he could flip it for over $100. We punched it and played it the following weekend, however.

Use a glue stick and a hobby vice (not really needed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
4.6 Five Mississippi
mb
BraxtonBragg wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:
anthonii wrote:

I believe he is a playtester.

Yeah. Even got a card idea in the game at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
FertileSpade wrote:

A simple dab of acid-free glue under that corner and it'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
FertileSpade wrote:

Buy another copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
FertileSpade wrote:

Geez, Brad, you're a chemist. Can't you head to your lab and whip up some acid-free adhesive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
FertileSpade wrote:

Wrap that shit in scotch tape and get back to playing.

NOW, PRIVATE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, two boxes in the same week ...

I've been waiting on the reprint of The Boss for a few years, really enjoy that one

13 Days? Cody said "Buy it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Ritter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered the new mini expansion for [thing=37358][/thing]. It follows one of the alternate history paths the game teases. You can go for female suffrage early in the game. If you do, you now get three female politicians to add to the game. There are also some rules for oratory and for putting politicians on trial if you pass sedition. This game has lots of opportunity for alt history paths, I hope he keeps this up.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/founding-fathers:-ladies-orators
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes

Operation Typhoon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripp wrote:
Just ordered the new mini expansion for [thing=37358][/thing]. It follows one of the alternate history paths the game teases. You can go for female suffrage early in the game. If you do, you now get three female politicians to add to the game. There are also some rules for oratory and for putting politicians on trial if you pass sedition. This game has lots of opportunity for alt history paths, I hope he keeps this up.

I've heard this is a decent remake of The Republic of Rome. What is your opinion of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkindt wrote:
Tripp wrote:

I've heard this is a decent remake of The Republic of Rome. What is your opinion of the game?

I'm not Tripp, but I can give you my thoughts. I wouldn't call it a remake of RoR, but rather uses the same basic engine. Whereas RoR the primary focus for the senate is prosecuting wars, the wars in FF is very much secondary. RoR also has much more of a cooperative game feel of trying to figure out how to "beat" the game, especially during the first period, where collapse is likely if everyone is not working together. FF has never had that feel to me. I've always felt that I'm playing against the system and the other players. Your focus always seems to on figure out how to win the game as opposed to preventing everyone from losing, as in RoR.

That being said, it certainly has a lot of the same feel to it as RoR in terms of the type of game it is. You end up with personalities from both factions, so it's hard to figure out who you actually represent in the game. But other than that, it packs in a lot of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Ritter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
bkindt wrote:
Tripp wrote:

I'm not Tripp, but I can give you my thoughts. I wouldn't call it a remake of RoR, but rather uses the same basic engine. Whereas RoR the primary focus for the senate is prosecuting wars, the wars in FF is very much secondary. RoR also has much more of a cooperative game feel of trying to figure out how to "beat" the game, especially during the first period, where collapse is likely if everyone is not working together. FF has never had that feel to me. I've always felt that I'm playing against the system and the other players. Your focus always seems to on figure out how to win the game as opposed to preventing everyone from losing, as in RoR.

That being said, it certainly has a lot of the same feel to it as RoR in terms of the type of game it is. You end up with personalities from both factions, so it's hard to figure out who you actually represent in the game. But other than that, it packs in a lot of history.

I agree with Rex's view. I will also add that RoR takes hours to figure out, while this game can be taught in about 20-30 minutes. There are some oddities, like elections that will need to be brought up in play, but it is fairly straight forward.

I really like the game as you get a real feel for the history, you get involved with the alt history you are constructing and with the fate of your politicians and the requirement for the players to create ways to oppose each other. There are action cards, but these are pretty weak. Instead it is about playing politics where you have to balance getting what you want done with sharing power (and points) with others.

It can be quite long, but I think it is worth it. It helps to have players that are in to the experience as much as the game. Like Eklund games, you can have a situation where winning is a very long shot, but the small wins, like blocking a foe's initiatives are great.

You also gain the perspective of a politician seeking personal gain often to the cost of the country.

The expansion that creates more regional/political sides is a nice touch, especially when you are trying to figure out what your side is and who you are supposed to be playing.

It is my favorite political game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon M.
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dabowsa wrote:
Cody said "Buy it."

I like that dude. The videos are well made, the reviews are thoughtful and usually funny, and they cover a range of stuff from euros to party games to the occasional hex and counter wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Royse City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The purpose of argument is to change the nature of truth.
mbmbmbmbmb
Received a package from a Mr M. Land yesterday.

Everything in great condition. Thanks Mitch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came. Not sure where to put it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  Next »  [57] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.