Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I'm going to get City of Ancients this weekend.

Reading and watching videos online, I'm sure I'm going to like this game a lot (Yes I know there is a lot of dice rolling!).

I would like to know which expansions I should/can get that doesn't change the core game, or add more rules in the base game.

This way I have a bigger variety from the beginning (so probably monsters expansion?).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

AFAIK, none of the expansions change the core game other than the Expanded Frontier Town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
To be precise even the Frontier Town expansion changes the rules of travels and the ones of the town stay, even if only slightly. With this the travel hazards are more frequent, you can become wanted/most wanted and you can get unwanted attention from the locals.

In my opinion every expansion adds so few rules that you can simply choose according to your preferences: if you want more variety of a monster enemies, if you want new alien worlds to explore and artifacts that you can get or if you want to deepen the parts purely "West" of the town. Consider that every expansion, even those of the enemy, they have new dedicated missions stretching the playability.

The advice of Klutz remains great, the city offers a unique experience, but personally I found in it slightly complex rules (coverage, roofs, doors and windows etc.) than, for example, Caverns of Cynder that adds in fact only the burning and the hellfire markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trederra adds a pretty large amount of new rules (battlefield cover, battlefield scavenge, lieutenant abilities, weapons of war, radiation markers, stunned effects etc).

On that basis you may want to avoid it for now.

For adding a little variety I do like the small monster sets like the hell vermin or the Trederran Raiders. As you're starting out with the City of the Ancients, the Targa Guardians is a good box to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, only Frontier Town really adds enough new rules to be considered 'new'. Possibly the boxed expansions as well, Caverns and Trederra.

The themed monster packs for Targa are the Custodians, Guardian, and Trun Hunters, and Harvesters and Trederra Raiders are invaders so work as well. The Dark Stone Hydra adds a good new boss for mines flavor.

From the FFP site, card packs all add new items, loot, and Dread cards, in particular Targa Artifacts, Treasures of the Void, Dead Mans Bounty, and Ancient Terrors. (Their sale is still on)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kindertuin wrote:
I'm going to get City of Ancients this weekend.

Reading and watching videos online, I'm sure I'm going to like this game a lot (Yes I know there is a lot of dice rolling!).

I would like to know which expansions I should/can get that doesn't change the core game, or add more rules in the base game.

This way I have a bigger variety from the beginning (so probably monsters expansion?).

Thanks!

Baaed on your criteria, I'd buy both cores. Then add Cynder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't add Cynder, it only adds three enemies and thematically they're kind of underwhelming compared to the stand alone enemy packs.

Frontier Town is amazing but it does add more complexity (Decide size of town you're going to -> determine Travel Hazards -> Roll for town type -> draw Town locations, etc.) and there's plenty to discover and do in the Core Set town for your first few campaigns.

I would also rule out the Masters of the Void, Scafford Gang and Serpentmen sets to start. It's not that they're complicated, it's more that they add more overhead in the form of additional decks and rules and you'd be better served with simpler enemies while you get used to keeping track of all the other rules and procedures in the vanilla game.

To that end, there are several enemy packs that only come with their stat and Threat cards:

Trederran Raiders: the best bang for your buck since they come with Threat cards for every Other World and thus can appear anywhere.

Harvesters: Same situation as Trederran Raiders but they're really tough and probably not the best enemy to go up against low level posses.

Dark Stone Brutes, Hell Vermin, Swamp Slugs, Custodians of Targa, Trun Hunters: Each of these packs are a little tougher than normal enemies but they're fun and thematic with a minimum of rules overhead. Which one(s) you get will come down to personal preference and whether you want enemies that can also appear in Jargono (Slugs) or Targa (Custodians, Trun Hunters).

Dark Stone Hydra: XL enemy that comes with Low, Medium and High Threat cards. I've yet to face it but others say it's fun.

Guardian: XL Epic Threat with a neat twist where it comes with "Damaged Guardian" Threat cards where it starts out with a number of wounds (based on number of Heroes). So it basically comes with two versions: an Epic Threat version and a normal power level Damaged version. It would be the next Epic enemy I purchased after the Core Sets but I would get the other enemy packs first and wait to get it until you're bored of facing the Harbingers and Goliaths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard answer is:

Both cores and then Frontier town.

How that answer changes depends on what you mean by "changing the core game and adding rules"

Frontier town adds several "phases" to the town portion of the game, including an event at the beginning of a town day and random buildings. One could consider these extra rules. But they add so much that they're definitely worth it (and they dont change the core gameplay -adventures in the mines and otherworlds-)

After those buys you're generally looking at picking up more monsters and/or heroes.
All monsters have some unique stats and abilities. The best ones (deluxe sets) also add missions or factions for the monsters included and/or ranged monsters or spellcasters.
Again, technically these all add rules, but add so much to gameplay that most people would say the slightly increased complications are well worth it.

That said, there aren't *any* expansions that fundamentally change gameplay. There arent any that add sweeping new Mechanics or anything like that (eg: Lords of water deep: scoundrels of skull port which adds in corruption and a bunch of new locations)

Each expansion for sob adds to variety in decks and monsters. Each one adding a small change that builds on other expansions.

In short, almost every expansion will add small new rules (even if it's just the rules for a new monster) but the changes are incremental. It's not until you add many expansions that the exponential effect of the expansions building on each other kicks in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people seem to have misunderstood my previous comment. I was not suggesting the Frontier Town, quite the opposite. If OP wants expansions that don't "change the core game, or add more rules in the base game", then the Frontier Town is like the worst possible choice, since all it does is change the core game and add more rules.

A few people have also suggested getting the second core set... I would strongly recommend against that. Sure, if you count the number of classes and enemy types, the second core set is great value. However, the enemies in the 2 core sets are just stat-line variations of each other and the minis in the core sets are worse than the minis in expansions.

I think if you want to add diversity to your game, go with what Sebastian Bludd suggested - he nailed it. I'd personally pick some of the small (non-XL) enemies first, since you'll encounter them more often than XL enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
north richland hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're definitely going to want to get as many monsters as possible. I'm going to disagree with an earlier comment and say that I would recommend the Scafford Gang and Masters of the Void over some of the other ones. Those monsters add the shootout ability which makes combat a lot more interesting. I know that is adding more rules, which you said you didn't want, but having an enemy that doesn't just pile on the heroes makes a big difference. Plus they each come with cool themed missions. One of my favorite sessions so far involved getting a bounty on the Scafford gang in town from the sherriff's office (you'll need the Frontier Town for that), and then choosing the mission that had my posse chasing the gang down into the mines where they tried to make their escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
KevBelisle wrote:
However, the enemies in the 2 core sets are just stat-line variations of each other and the minis in the core sets are worse than the minis in expansions.

I couldn't disagree more. There's a huge difference in how you deal with the slow-moving zombies (not to mention the zombie generator) and the hordes of insanely fast spiders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grauenwolf wrote:
KevBelisle wrote:
However, the enemies in the 2 core sets are just stat-line variations of each other and the minis in the core sets are worse than the minis in expansions.

I couldn't disagree more. There's a huge difference in how you deal with the slow-moving zombies (not to mention the zombie generator) and the hordes of insanely fast spiders.

Would you mind explaining this huge difference? How are your tactics different between the 2 scenarios?

Maybe I've been playing wrong all along, but in both cases we just end up sitting there and firing our guns at whatever monsters are adjacent to us, and then whatever makes most sens to shoot at (which is never a really hard decision).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
We play run-and-gun with the zombies, especially if we're on an open map such as the town. With spiders, assuming that they haven't just surrounded us, dynamite is the key. (I love the outlaw's endless bag of boomsticks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Brainer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best expansions for you would be the Gardian, custodians, Dark Stone Hydra and then i would go scafford gang, undead gang or werewolves asbthe last 3 add missions as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The Hungry Dead are in Swamps of Jargono (core set) while Cynder has a variation called Souls of the Damned (tokens only, no minis - use the ones from the core set). There are Necronauts in Derelict Ship which are most likely undead.

Forbidden Fortress(new core set) has Dishonored Dead with an alternate variation of Devoured Dead in Belly of the Beast (OtherWorld that comes in FoFo).

Oh, and there are the Undead Outlaws, an enemy expansion pack. I think the Lost Army from the mission pack are undead. Vampires from the Feral Vampire mission pack likely count. The Scourage Dead from the Onmorake deluxe enemy pack are probably undead, but I don't know about the Onmorake (Carrion Phoenix) itself. I'm pretty sure the Undead Daimyo is undead. Several enemies from the Forest of the Dead OtherWorld should be: Nure-Onna Vampires, Shadow Wraith, and Spectral Horde. Finally, the giant Odokuro is almost definitely undead.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malick
United States
flag msg tools
rpvt wrote:
The Hungry Dead are in Swamps of Jargono (core set) while Cynder has a variation called Souls of the Damned (tokens only, no minis - use the ones from the core set).

Forbidden Fortress(new core set) has Dishonored Dead with an alternate variation of Devoured Dead in Belly of the Beast (OtherWorld that comes in FoFo).

Thank you for your reply. I was searching around and found the hungry dead were from Swamps before I saw what you wrote. I felt like an idiot so I deleted my post. I think I'll pick up Swamps of Death as me second SoB purchase. Seems like the most bang for buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garnett
United States
flag msg tools
This is a slight redirect for this thread, but I'm considering buying into this and had a related question about the expansions. Are any of the expansions specific to any of the core sets? For example, if I buy City of the Ancients and also the Swamp Raptor of Jargono, is there anything in the mechanics of the game that makes them incompatible? Or is just an issue of mismatched theme to have the raptor appear on the Plains of Targa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
livelonganprosper wrote:
This is a slight redirect for this thread, but I'm considering buying into this and had a related question about the expansions. Are any of the expansions specific to any of the core sets? For example, if I buy City of the Ancients and also the Swamp Raptor of Jargono, is there anything in the mechanics of the game that makes them incompatible? Or is just an issue of mismatched theme to have the raptor appear on the Plains of Targa?

Mainly thematic. Everything can be encountered in the mines. Various expansion also have cards specific to particular other worlds and not others, so (for example) getting the raptor when you don't have the swamps will leave you with some cards (jargono threat cards, maybe some encounters and artifacts) that you won't be able to use until you get the corresponding other world, but there will always be the possibility to encounter those enemies in the mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
livelonganprosper wrote:

From conversations with the Frogs at conventions and local events, I can tell you that they specifically design product to make sure that you can get almost anything, and still use it even if you don't have a specific expansion. There's more synergy if you do get certain expansions together, but they're not required. (About the only exception to this are card-only expansions that expand a specific deck you don't have yet. For example, if you don't have Swamps of Death, but get a card pack designed to expand Jargono-based artifacts, that won't help you. Or a couple alternative miniature sculpts available that don't come with any rules, but are designed to be an alternative to certain enemies or hero classes.)

As noted above, you might get some cards you can't use immediately with certain expansions, but that's about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually COULD the Artifacts from Otherworlds you don't have, in rare situations. When you're called upon to draw an Artifact from a random Otherworld, just use a die instead of the cards and assign one of the numbers to the World whose Artifacts you have, but lack a card for.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
You actually COULD the Artifacts from Otherworlds you don't have, in rare situations. When you're called upon to draw an Artifact from a random Otherworld, just use a die instead of the cards and assign one of the numbers to the World whose Artifacts you have, but lack a card for.

- Jee

True, but not by using RAW. And other card supplements (like the Otherworld Encounter supplements) can't be used at all if you don't have the Otherworld. Still, those expansions of specific decks are the exception to the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:

- Jee

True, but not by using RAW. And other card supplements (like the Otherworld Encounter supplements) can't be used at all if you don't have the Otherworld.

Is this an actual rule?

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
gavindowning wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:

- Jee

True, but not by using RAW. And other card supplements (like the Otherworld Encounter supplements) can't be used at all if you don't have the Otherworld.

Is this an actual rule?

- Jee

Sort of. The cards say to draw a World Card to randomize where the artifact comes from. If you don't have the corresponding World Card, you can't draw it. But you could proxy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have both core sets, you will get a ton of bang for your buck if you buy the enemies trait card pack from the frog’s store. It adds five variations to the spiders, harbinger, and Goliath enemies from the two bass boxes. As Klutz says, the core enemies are a little samey. This begins to fix that. I’m assuming more cards for other base monsters will come out within the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Bouchard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there!
I'm trying to review every expansions for the game, hopefully it will help you to narrow it down:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1979414/shadow-brimston...

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.